Unai Emery

Love you bro.

1 Like

Paddy Power? Are you serious?

1 Like

Just to clarify Emery got a 2 year deal ? With an option of a 3rd year if he meets certain requirements ??

Read the article before you say anything

3 year deal, 3rd year has a club option

Yeah so I think we can categorically say if we haven’t returned to the CL by the end of next season that 3rd year won’t be activated.

I’d very much hope so.

I think fan pressure will play an big impact next season too. Emery is in a tight spot tbh (which is good) he’s essentially has a 12 month window to steer the club on an upward curve. He has to nail the summer and the first half of 19/20 season

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. It only benefits him to do well at Arsenal, if only to put himself in the shop window once his contract ends.

Good point about Emery being in a tight spot, I wonder if Emery is feeling the pressure leading to over-pragmatism.

I like his record, but is safe to say PSG was his first opportunity at a super club and while we debate over whether he ‘failed’ it’s safe to say it didn’t have an happy ending, Arsenal is his second opportunity to show he can make the step-up, if he botches this, it’s probably downhill for his managerial career back to the Sevilla’s of this world.

This isn’t about the players (Personally I think we got a 6th place squad atm, so we’re doing okay), this is also a test of Emery’s coaching capabilities, I don’t think even a conservative coach plays 6 defensive minded players against BATE, something is just not right to me. I think he’s feeling the heat, but it’s just a hypothetical.

Really want the summer here right now tbh.

2 Likes

No. When we played Qarabag back in October (away) he played five defenders and Elneny/Guendouzi. It’s who he is. For some season he doesn’t let them play conservative tho i.e. sit back and counter, but tries to implement a more possession based kind of football.

For the record, I actually really like how he manages us, when he’s not holding himself back through cowardice.

It would be better for everyone if he’d just be braver in his setup ffs.

1 Like

You’re gonna have to elaborate, because nothing you have said gives me the sense that you like Emery even remotely.

The Leicester, Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea games were an unencumbered Emery at his best.

Also when he plays 4 at the back, it has usually been successful. Contrary to what many think, I was ready to get on the emery train, but every time I want to, I see that dreadful 5-3-2 and more cowardice when playing shit teams even.

I feel kinda bad for hating on him, he seems like a nice enough bloke. But his style too many times is way too conservative, and for no good reason as we still concede because the defence is shite.

1 Like

The line-up might be conservative, but the style isn’t at all imo. If anything I want him to go full counterattack.

This is the same guy that took Cavani off for a defender when PSG were still in the game against Real with the score at 1-1 in the first leg of the CL.

Perhaps this is just who he is, if he’s unable to change it probably won’t end well.

1 Like

To be fair to Emery, the best defenders we have aren’t good enough and most of them are injured, so the fact he has to use defensive players that wouldn’t look out of place at clubs in the bottom half of the PL, means that a lot of goals we concede are from individual errors not only from defenders but from midfield and attacking players.

I know there have been criticisms of the way our FB’s push up and leave gaps at the back that aren’t being covered but when you are dealing with such poor players there will be mistakes by them.
So short of parking the bus, he has to try and outscore the opposition, and score a lot of goals, which is something we have done.

He clearly isn’t going to get the funds for the investment needed to turn this around, and he doesn’t seem to be the elite manager we though the board would choose, but he is adequate and willing to work with a smaller budget so you get what you pay for.

Let’s see what he does in the next window and whether he will actually get the players to play in a system that is consistent, with the best players playing in their preferred positions.

But if he keeps repeating the same mistakes and we look no nearer to the top four then we have to look elsewhere.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s just who he is, 1-1 at Brighton with 30 mins to go and he plays Torreira at the 10, for all Wenger’s faults I must admit he never had the corwardice to play for draws at clubs like Brighton.

5 Likes

I’m more happy now I know Emery is on a two year contract. That means he going to have to get the team attacking next season and buy players in defence that will allow it.
I think he’s in shock this season having started well and now trying to understand the Prem and it twist and turns. If he’s as good as I hope he is then he will achieve a good 2nd season if not he not the man for us.

I love it, not only is he a bum but a coward as well.