Unai Emery

Got it spot on to be honest. We pressed well, the shape was decent but a little suspect at the back still. Either way this was a huge win, closes the gap on the top 4 and we kept a clean sheet.

Guaranteed Papa, Koscielny and Mavro have their own group chat slating Mustafi.

1 Like

I reckon our slump has basically come from our dearth of injuries we lost Holding who was fucking ace and then our defense looked suspect then we lost lots of defenders all at once and it made everything terrible. I am not saying our defense was incredible before but it is hard to have a great time of things when each week you dont know who the fuck you are gonna play with and you are down to bare bones. It is such a shame that Bellerin has gone out again he was doing so well.

3 Likes

7 points against the top 6. Already batter than Wenger.

5 Likes

Nope. Ramsey completely nullified Jorginho today, no chance Ozil does even half the closing down.

2 Likes

Got it spot on today.

2 Likes

8 sorry.

1 Like

Last week it was Unai out… fans change so quickly its incredible.

1 Like

Defense looked better today, Chelsea was toothless but I don’t think it’s a coincidence it involves the error-prone Mustafi not being in the line-up.

Also we didn’t need 3 at the back to achieve it either, no idea what the point of that experimentation was, but I hope we ditched it for good, slightly encouraging.

1 Like

Don’t think anyone said this

Well theres the Ozil v Emery poll says different.

Fair enough haha but its not as straight forward as the poll puts it. You can think one without wanting the other out the club

I get your analysis but I do think Ozil could do that.
Ozil’s defensive contribution is very underrated and misunderstood imo. Always covers shitloads of ground for a #10 and that is also proved by stats. Anyway, bored to rant or discuss this seriously as I don’t want to ruin London Derby win vibes.

I cant.:wink: Pass the Sangria.

1 Like

It isn’t a coincidence, no way.

Sarri did half the job for him today. While we’re dropping points to Brighton and West Ham in the fashion we are, this was just a strange situation. It’s a great result but it changes absolutely nothing about the poverty of our team.

Emery’s set up in big games trumps Wenger’s approach but it clearly hasn’t worked of recent against the weaker sides in the league.

His reliance on Ramsey, Xhaka and Guendouzi for Laca/Auba’s service will be nothing but a shambles. Criminal to leave Özil out just to play these players suitable for an ultra defensive style.

Only been here a few months and people get all moody as fck when we are shit - mad knee jerking at times. Give this manager a chance FFS !?

but have you noticed something. This is the 2nd time Emery has played against Chavski and Sarri and he got his number. Part of the problem of being a tactical manager which is new to a league going against a new team you can look at a lot of videos but you dont truly know what you are going up against until in the match but then it is too late. But it seems that once Emery starts learning what a manager is likely to do looking more in the league and what they have done recently and what he did against you before he can adapt. A lot of people say he got it spot on today, when before people felt he got it wrong before so it seems like he is trying to figure out the league and the playing styles as he is going on and if he has the right players and isnt hampered by injuries he does seem to do well.

1 Like

I have seen many people note that Emery doesn’t have a defined style yet, and it’s true that we haven’t seen a consistent way of playing under him.

Yet the opposite angle to that is that you can get a manager like Sarri who has a clear philosophy, but is so rigid and one dimensional that it becomes very easy to work them out. Placing Ramsey on top of Jorginho, as other sides have done to them already this season, created a problem for them immediately. They were so passive at times throughout the match and they continued to give us the exact same problems, which we generally dealt with well.

By the last 20 minutes or so, they had completely run out of ideas.

4 Likes

There’s a difference between covering ground and trotting around.