Unai Emery

PSG will always find it tough in Europe because they are not being tested to the best of their ability week in week out.

They got tested out enough resulting in them failing to win their domestic league in one of Emery’s seasons in charge.

1 Like

1 league title in 2 seasons.
2 CL exit against Barcelona and Real Madrid…

Failure???

So what were we at that time then???

OK what about Guardiola at Bayern, is his 79 points season a failure?

You only play the biggest club in the world for 2 out of the 38 games in La Liga. As for the rest of the league, yes La Liga is a little better, there isn’t that much gap though both are top 5 leagues. Alongside Monaco being a top European side who dumped Guardiola out of the CL, there’s Lyon and Marseille. The general quality of youth talent in the Ligue 1s smaller teams is high and many go onto succeed for richer teams.

So let’s hold Guardiola to that same measure.

“In absolute tears here reading people trying to claim Guardiola’s time at City wasn’t a failure. 1 league title in 2 seasons and two CL exits against Monaco and Liverpool at City is a failure, no other way to put it.”

Also at least Emery went out to Barce and Real.

1 Like

Let’s compare Emery’s time at PSG to Pep’s at Bayern as the leagues are more comparable, one team league’s that they’re expected to win comfortably each season.

Even Bayern can’t win the league every single season.

They did under Pep I’m pretty sure.

For a club of that calibre you may call it a “failure”, but a lot of good managers will fail there. Its an extremely disfunctional place despite all of the talent and resources they have, and with a player with an ego like Neymar, many managers will struggle to control the dressing room.

People tend to not give the Monaco side of two seasons ago any credit either, it wasn’t like PSG came second to a bunch of novices. That was a proper team.

The blemish for me on his time there is not progressing in the CL, but it’s difficult when you draw Barcelona and Real in your two ro16 appearances. He didn’t achieve what he would have wanted to, but he still won trophies and got the experience of managing a nightmare of a club. I’m sure he was made stronger by that experience.

1 Like

Vs virtually no competition.

1 Like

If people are trying to claim that Emery’s time at PSG was a success I simply won’t bother as they’re clearly to invested in him because he’s now the Arsenal manager.

1 Like

@Aussiegooner PSG’s ‘view’ of success and failure is in a completely different parallel apart from maybe 2 clubs in the world, given that up to this point they haven’t found a manager that can achieve their goals. Maybe in their perspective it’s failure and sure, it’s not the greatest. But I don’t think it’s the biggest blemish at all.

Up to this point, we’re still waiting for a manager to deliver the goals they want. Once someone does I’m more willing to consider it more of a failure, but I have a feeling we’ll be waiting awhile for that to happen.

1 Like

Yeah he won the league when he was there… by
stealing Gotze from BVB in 2013 (also Thiago from Barca)
2014 they got Lewendowski from BVB
(15/16 they got Kimmich from Stuttgart and Vidal)

They basically won everything without any challenge, and BVB start falling piece by piece

How did Pep do in the CL with Bayern then???

If Emery was a failure in PSG, then Pep was a much bigger failure IMO in Munich

4 Likes

This is undeniable. I think it’s fair to consider both tenures a failure given the resources they had.

:joy:

You lot talk out of your ass for a living ffs. Pep won every league at Bayern, set pts records, set goal difference records, went to CL semis. There is literally no comparison lol.

2 Likes

fuck off you condescending cunt, better than being a narcissistic trolling POS

1 Like

How about we compare about them both coming up against the both same side, Monaco, they both lost the same season

Mate, as I recall, you’re one of those Guardiola haters. Let’s not make it into that. You’re saying some pretty ridiculous things above like the part I responded to or like

This (Pep went out in Semis lol, to the exact same teams you just mentioned + Atléti, back to back finalists. Since when is going out to Barça and Real in 16s better than in semis lol).

this jewel about La Liga and Ligue 1 :joy:

In short, this kind of shit is hilarious in any other context than an Arsenal forum. It didn’t used to be this way as you had enough decent/non-provincial posters to call ridiculous shite like this out. Now it’s me/aussiegooner someone else vs. a bunch of sheep like GreatWhiteGooner who read a ridiculous statement and say: “this is undeniable.”

@SRCJJ that was clearly not a good post above, the one you want me to respond to in full, I can tear apart the rest of it as I did the part that obviously made no sense. But tbh you see why it feels pointless…

In short:

You guys really need to work on getting some non-sheep up in here, because this place reads like delusional Liverpool fans on steroids lol.

1 Like

It’s a little frustrating that the very day United sack their manager, they’re linked with the likes of Simeone, Pocchetino and Zidane. While they are just “links” for now, why weren’t we going out for the same managers?

Emery’s appointment seems all the more underwhelming at a time like this

2 Likes

No way?!? That’s impossible mate, Bayern never win the league? In the past 6 years they’ve only won it when Pep was there right, cause other wise its the toughest league on the planet and they’ve been nowhere close.

I should have deferred to your football brain on that, I didn’t realize guiding the best club in the league to the title they usually win and not winning the CL for three seasons after taking over a treble winning side was such a bewildering achievement.

Tbh, now that Guardiola has left Bayern, I feel as if they may struggle to ever win the Bundesliga again, like they did the past few years. I’m glad you educated me :joy::rofl:

3 Likes