Unai Emery

It actually makes me laugh how members if an internet forum think they have better insight to the football world than Sven Mislintat, Raul Sanllenhi and Ivan Gazidis.

It’s actually beyond dellusional and quite pathetic.

1 Like

I don’t think all supporters think they know more but sometimes they are right.

For instance Gazidis and the Arsenal board thought it was the correct decision to keep giving Wenger new contracts while not going for managers like Klopp who a lot of supporters wanted here.

I also know that Emery was no where near the top of most supporters list for his replacement.
That doesn’t mean that the board appointed the best manager but a manager that was willing to work under the financial restraints the board will inevitably put on him.

It’s probably true that most supporters don’t no more than people who work inside the game but how many times do we see certain players get picked, knowing full well they aren’t good enough or aren’t putting enough effort in, yet the manager, who should kno better, relentlessly keeps picking them and then go on to sell them.

Anyway, without armchair managers what else would we have to talk about? :wink:

1 Like

Of course. Not saying it shouldn’t be discussed.

Just some people go to extraordinary lengths to say why manager A is better than manager B but with no real reason as to why. And then end up insulting half the forum based on absolutely nothing.

4 Likes

but what about all the analytical data :giroud:

I think there is also the cherry-picking of data and the way it is presented… for some reason the narrative of Emery’s history has become fairly uninspiring and I think there is a legitimate read on it that is pretty impressive. But maybe more importantly, it is all done without context and objectivity (imho)… comparing two managers with different careers on different teams is super hard and I suspect the football people that make these choices use a massive quantity of data above what is easily publicly available to any of us in 30 minutes of internet research.

Its like me making a choice of next head engineer by using LindedIn alone…

1 Like

Wait a minute Emery had Valencia and Sevilla performing way higher than they were in prior seasons and he had PSG pick up 2 of their highest ever points totals. All while picking up 7 cups. Not to mention getting tiny outfits promoted to levels they never reached before or after. But as you were

7 Likes

Well, he won the league in France… he “failed” because he could not win the CL?
The game that a lot of people said he choked, against Barcelona in the CL, was the corrupted game that fucking Neymar and Mascherano should be sent off, especially the great pretender Neymar… he should be off for twice.

it was also said that the players on that match were arrogant and didnt listen to unai and didnt stick to his tactics and felt they had a walk in the park because of the big deficit barca had against them and started playing for themselves not the team.

Yeah and the year they didn’t win title, Monaco had insane 95 points and +76 goal difference - let that sink in… they scored on average 2 more goals than their opponents that year… it was one of those lightning bolt moments. The capitulation to Barca was bad, but it was one game against a historic side that on their day could have torn anyone apart.

1 Like

It was one of those classic Barca moments in the CL where the referees just absolutely lay down for them. The Suarez dive was particularly annoying.

Even without that though, I’m not more inclined to blame a manager than the players for letting a 3 goal advantage crack in the final minutes. Its the job of the guys on the pitch to see it out at that point and those players completely self-destructed.

2 Likes

Talk about cherry-picking of data…

1. When a manager is fired it is almost always by definition because of an under-performing, so your definition of Emery doing better than they were in previous seasons (when both clubs were coming from disasters)…

How’s Sevilla done after Emery? First season: finished higher than he ever did, including competing for the title for a bit. Right now: Competing for the title, 2nd place. With two separate managers. Really missing him…

1. PSG picking up two of its record points totals :rofl: How coincidental that a club with literally no history starts picking up record points totals right when it becomes the biggest spending club in world football. Dunno how Emery managed that!

People smoothing over that 87 pt total in Ligue 1 with that squad as anything but what it was–a massive failure–are really reaching. Even his 93 pt total with Neymar and Mbappé is relatively unimpressive. Tuchel is currently on pace for 104,5 and that’s with Neymar and Mbappé injured or not used cause of the world cup for a number of fixtures this season…

What bollocks, lol. You really gonna pretend like in all of the discussion that there’s been about Emery there hasn’t been a great dissection of his resume? Look it up.

2 Likes

Again, there is a counter-narrative and data to back it up. No question there were reasons to not hire him, just like most available managers. Anyway, this is boring rehashing.

2 Likes

This is what I would call boring rehashing…Both of those sentences are extremely interpretative. The lighting bolt moment remind me of Leicester’s triumph being justified over us. The “historic” Barça side you’re talking about was one with significant inner turmoil, a manager who was leaving at the end of the season, who would go out rather weakly in the very next round, and who didn’t win their league…

The idea that there is no reason why there are a number of managers I and others would’ve preferred to Emery is offensive and extremely lazy. Aside from those reasons being stated explicitly numerous numerous times here, which means I probably need to add disingenuous to that list of adjectives. @Midfield_Maestro

There is no reason to go to extraordinary lengths to explain why Sarri is a better hire than Emery, or why Pochettino is better than Emery. It’s rather the reverse would be the case. Again, extremely disingenuous, and more evidence of the kind of discussion that flies, and is even approved of, here, without challenge.

Barcelona was still the favorite to win that game and win that all.
They had the most expensive squad, the best players in the world.
Credit to them to fight back or it was because of the corrupted referee, it was a “miracle”.
What did Emery do wrong in that game actually to be called as a choker/failure, if the other side was pulling a miracle?

I also remember that you said Suarez was smart enough to trick the referee to get a penalty… (not the exact wordings)…
Including Neymar and Mascherano, Barcelona should have players sent off instead of winning… yet, you and some others put the blame on Emery… I just don’t understand. The innocent man got crucified, and Neymar and the corrupted Barcelona got the praise…

He was only fired from Spartak as far as I remember. He was probably pushed at PSG but that wasn’t in anyway a ‘failure’.

Should we try subbing in Guardiola for your subsequent points? Barce have won 4 leagues, 4 Cups and 1 CL since Pep left so what good did Pep do for Barce? It’s clearly laughable. Even more laughable if you try it with Bob Paisley.

Also if 87 points is a failure than Guardiola’s first league win must also be a failure right, because he only got 87 points. Also Emery’s first season at PSG was a far sight better than Guardiola’s first at City.

And if we knock Emery’s achievements for spending, well then there’s Guardiola. You’re not applying the same rules, like for like

Also the fact you focus on league position with Sevilla when he won 3 Europa League’s back to back, the best historic experience for the fans of that club is ridiculous. Clubs regularly drop league form when they’re competing for cups when they don’t have a huge squad. It’s like arguing SAF was shit in 1990 and 1991 because of league position when he won the FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup back to back. The fact he won those cups and got them in the CL will have brought more money into the club so they can buy players and not sell their best players. Emery’s work has enriched the club, he’s left a solid squad in place and hence they’ve had future success. That’s a positive rather than a negative.

6 Likes

What kind of logic is this, lol? 87 pts in La Liga is quite different than 87 pts in Ligue 1. Winning the league over the biggest club in the world is different than not winning it over like the 40th biggest club in the world.

C’mon, man.

Is there any particular reason you didn’t want to respond to the rest of his post which raised some very valid points?

lol, that’s pretty ironic of you of all people to say :joy:. The particular reason would be that I was about to log off my computer so just did a fast post to the obvious major issues with that post. But since you challenged I’ll be sure to get to all of it later. :slight_smile:

I look forward to reading your response.

In absolute tears here reading people trying to claim Emery’s time at PSG wasn’t a failure. 1 league title in 2 seasons and two Round 16 exits in the CL at PSG is a failure, no other way to put it.

1 Like