Unai Emery

It usually does, it also explains why clubs change manager in the first place. Too make the bounce back happen. Big clubs always come back from a bad stretch. The purgatory Liverpool have been in is rather exemption than rule. Even than they picked up a Champions League along the line.

Did you click “reply” on the right post? Lol

No one knows for sure what will happen in the future but it’s an educated guess. Like how I predicted Wenger would never take us to the promised land again after 2012, I didn’t know for sure but it was an educated guess. I didn’t expect the 2016 chance to arise as it did, but even then Wenger still wasn’t good enough to capitalise on that golden opportunity.

Bah this thread has full on devolved… this is discouraging.

By the way I don’t think Emery is a poor manager, I just don’t think he’s the elite sort of manager we require to punch above our weight and win a league title…

I would probably agree at this stage, but at least I am open to being proven wrong about that and I think we would do well to appreciate our lack of perspective against actual people in football as full-time job for decades.

I would also point out, that ANY manager at Arsenal is fighting against 5 other teams for the title, plus the odd lightning bolt like LC. City and Utd have massive amount of money compared to us and Chelsea spend more… and Pool and Spurs aren’t massively far behind (and in case of Pool relatively even atm)… if you just run the odds on “equal managers,” we are probably what? 8:1 at best in that scenario?

And right now we are perhaps seeing some of the finest young crop of managers in our league with Pep, Klopp, and if you want to include him Poch (I don’t rate him at that level, but he has done well with Spurs - Spurs also hit jackpot with some astute signings and the Bale money).

The first measuring stick to me is getting back into top 4 and then becoming relevant for title again - if you are maximizing points every year and more reliably hitting 80+, you give yourself the odd chance… we have been so far from that for so long.

3 Likes

Precisely why you don’t respond by hiring a manager with a significant track record, one that contains little record for over-performance and a good amount of under-performance and just meeting expectations. Chelsea, meanwhile, signed a manager with a genuine philosophy and vision and a strong track record of parlaying that vision into over-performing results with Napoli.

Both might inevitably be failures, but at least one of those approaches is defensible. The other, just really doesn’t suggest competence, frankly (or at the very best suggests cynicism and low ambition), which is extremely worrisome for the future of the club re: making the decision on eventually firing Emery at the right time/making the right choice for the next manager.

Just hope that it wasn’t as unanimous as Gazidis made it out to be (I really don’t think it was), and that things will be different with him out of the picture, though Sven coming out in an interview and suggesting that Unai was very much his choice is worrying, that leaves only my paisa Raúl to really right the ship.

1 Like

Meh, you hire the best candidate under any circumstances… you obviously disagree with the choice and that is fine… I can’t agree on the idea of Arteta over Emery, but that debate is boring at this point. Chelsea hire is an interesting one - we’ll see how that turns out. I am still open-minded at this stage, but wanted Simeone, and that was a controversial choice (of which all were).

Out of curiosity why is Simeone a controversial choice ? The guy has a track record for overachieving and his sides have defensive records they’re second to none.

Surely because of the stylistic reasons. Simeone wouldn’t have been my choice for those very reasons. But at least I would’ve understood what the club was thinking/the decision would’ve made a good degree of sense to me (though a part of me suspects that Simeone is no longer as elite a manager as he was a couple years ago and he’s starting to shift into a Mourinho-like decadence period).

Ljung the debate was never about Arteta over Emery. The debate was always about Emery over the entire field (including Setién, Favre, Sarri, etc. etc.). And that is where the board/decision makers’ lack of competence/ideas/balls/ambition/definitely something comes in.

1 Like

With Jardim you had another potential candidate with an actual track record of developing talent and somebody who had proven to be efficient in difficult circumstances etc. Emery was not the best candidate under circumstances in the summer.

The last sentence is your opinion, one that I may even shade to agree with, but you make it out like you are the arbiter of football truth and I think that rubs people the wrong way, especially with the nasty insults and bits.

2 Likes

There were others I probably would have preferred over Emery, but I am software executive who loves football… and I suspect most of us here with similar credentials… so I imagine I might not have the knowledge or faculties to judge without at least some degree of modesty.

Well if we apply that logic the guy who was the ‘leader’ in the decision making process came from a marketing/Law background lol :wink:.

He was an executive in football though… he wasn’t making football decisions but absolutely he had the background and experience… more importantly, he had immense resources at his disposal to make the decision… just like I would not make a straight decision about a new technology without a bunch of gathering of information and consultations with a number of experts.

I don’t make it out to be like anything but what I am. If people read it like that, it’s their problem…that it rubs people the wrong way is mine, indeed, but I’m okay with it, I’m quite conscious of how I express myself and my reasons for doing so.

I used the same logic to defend Wenger. Trust me, it’s not a good one.

Wenger certainly isn’t ceteris paribis though… I believe you are conscious of how you express yourself and how it is received, but I hope you learn at some point it diminishes your effectiveness as a communicator … or perhaps just refrain from engaging in it in places like this. I honestly don’t mean this with malice.

I was wrong. :santi:

6 Likes

Im taking it that the cone gnome Arteta would not fit that bill either with you though.

This kinda sums up how I felt. My knowledge of European football isn’t what it once was but I really quite fancied Jardim, he seemed like he could have been great for us. It would have excited me too in a way Emery didn’t particularly. Emery isn’t a disaster, and it could work out well if he gets us into the Champions League (via an EL win or top four), I think this is quite feasible. I said when he was appointed, if he’s here for two or three years and he wins one or two pots, gets us back in the CL and gets our squad used to modern training methods, match preparations and tactics then I’m fine with that.

So what I want to see is the club prove that they are ambitious and astute by then recognising the need to appoint the visionary/revolutionary manager who is capable of taking us that step further and challenging for/winning the league, after having Emery steady the ship and improve us for a couple of years.

Because I’ve doubted the likelihood of Emery being a world class manager and being able to get us back to the very top since day one, and I’ve not yet changed my mind on that (quite probably I never will)

But what I do want to do is give him every possible chance, because he’s our manager and I want to get behind our own. He’s also made a decent start and there are things I’ve been able to enjoy about his tenure so far. But I am undecided on what happens from here, how good he’ll actually turn out to be. I’m hoping that he knows that this gig is absolutely massive in terms of the trajectory his career takes after relative failure at PSG, this is a huge gig for him.

There’s my ramble in the subject.

5 Likes