Unai Emery

There have been plenty of turgid first half performances, when coupled with the fact we’ve not led at half time even once it’s a perfectly valid topic of discussion.

The problem is when people go too far with it and don’t recognise that there actually have been good first half performances. But I don’t think people should go too far the other way either and act like this is something that doesn’t exist.

3 Likes

I think for instance our first half against Huddersfield was good. We could have been leading 2-0 by half time had Auba and Laca scored their sitters.

Agree. He’s a total Scum signing imo. We need a continental player that can slot in right away to Emery’s tactics.

We should have been several goals up against Chelsea at half time, but we forgot our shooting boots.

Think 15 games is enough of a bite size too make a case for something not right about not being ahead once.

1 Like

Well, Unai can’t poach goals himself during a match, so other then begging our strikers to just score the damn goals, we shall then now have got to wait to replace Abaumeyang and Lacazette with some new strikers to score the plenty of tap-ins these two have missed.

On the other hand, we are unbeaten and win games in our 2nd half. What to do. What to do.

Does it really matter when those goals are conceded (since there a few matches Arsenal were trailing by half time)? The underlying problem in my opinion is that those goals are made against us in the first place. If he can fix this problem the other one solve itself.

When Klopp went to Liverpool he had the same problem.
They were great going forward but were letting in goals, often from defensive mistakes.
This season he has turned it round, after some excellent, if not expensive defensive signings, and they have possibly the best defence in the PL and still have the same amount of goals going forward.

Emery has done a great job so far, completely changing our style of play and attitude.
We have gone from complacent and predictable to exciting and playing with a lot more urgency since he took over.

If he is given the funds, and carries on what he is doing, he might do a similar job to what Klopp has done.

8 Likes

This.

Attitude, yes. Style I’m not so sure. It seems to me execution is just better. Which is logical when we have a Spanish manager who is trained in that type of school.

1 Like

Nice stat.
I bet most of Arsenes subs were due to injuries, he was really stubborn, especially in the last few years.
Eemery has no problem to change it up after he realizes he made a mistike with the selection from the begining.

2 Likes

ummm :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing: @Persona

3 Likes

Only 6 away from our club record! Will Emery surpass it? :unai:

2 Likes

we will go 49 unbeaten but this time without the EPL title :frowning:

They’re so 2000andlate on that one. :xhaka2:

1 Like

Will never forget we posted that in both our 22nd birthday threads (remember them?) in 2014 :joy:

1 Like

No

Well the run ended today, defensive frailties are so horrendously bad right now. To some degree we’ve been riding our luck during this run, so I guess a defeat had to happen sooner or later.

Definately a lot more work required. Top 4 is going to be a challenge, but too early to write that sorta thing off for now.

4 Likes

One thing he hasn’t done is improve us defensively one bit. Still conceding an abundance of chances and on pace to concede 50 goals for the season.

He needs to do a lot lot more in the first half.

Otherwise, it’s all going to smell like a Wenger season very soon.

1 Like