Unai Emery

'Last season :wink:. 16/17 was pretty decent still. This season the same could happen to Arsenal as happened in 16/17. Pretty decent result-wise but we still fell out of top four because another club was just a bit luckier.

1 Like

Actually wingers in how Emery plays are asked to move inside and have the wing backs lapping over. Our wing defenders have like 9 or 10 assists in between them. Our attacking play needs to improve further obviously, but it’s dumb defending that has cost us regarding the United game. We conceded two or three against City, Chelsea, Tottenham and United.

1 Like

Lol. They should be able to do whatever the fuck they want. Parents need to be role models for their kids.

1 Like

It’s a bit like when radio commentators use the expression “aplomb.”
Who else, apart from the spoof football characters on The Fast Show," use that word in a normal conversation?

Let’s be honest here lads. This is what we all meant when we wanted Wenger out for the past 6 seasons. That we got THIS lucky, appointing such a top lad is just the icing on the cake of the new era we entered.

1 Like

What do you mean exactly with top lad? 'Cause I feel like Emery still has to prove he is a manager of top quality :sweat_smile:. A (possible) top four qualification and Europa League victory doesn’t really do that in my opinion.

3 Likes

Finishing Top 4 and lifting the Europa League trophy in his FIRST SEASON doesn’t make him a top manager? Come on man. Other clubs (United / Chelsea / Scum wink wink) dream about that.

Top 4 in a league as strong as ours is nothing short of a job well done for a manager in his first season at a new club, with players not his own. Winning the EL would be a fantastic bonus.

In any case, what I meant was more the fresh breath of air this new manager gave to Arsenal and that he seems like a decent and likeable bloke, playing some exciting football.

5 Likes

Whilst I agree that it’s not an indication he’s a top manager I’d say arriving at a club and transforming the way they play football over the course of the season, helping the club up 2 league positions in an extremely competitive environment and winning a European trophy (something his predecessor failed to do in 20 years, not that I want to detract from Wenger) all whilst accomplishing this with virtually 8-9 of the same players in the starting lineup and a very underwhelming summer.

I think it speaks a lot about his quality.

2 Likes

All the things Wenger could, and should have, sorted out, Emery has done as soon as he got here.

The last few seasons Wenger has been predictable, playing unexciting football, persisting with the same worn out tactics with the same under performing players, with the same inevitable results.

Emery has come in, and we are seeing the same players Wenger assembled, performing completely differently for the new manager.

We aren’t being pushed around by our rivals, we are playing entertain attacking football, we are winning away from home and scoring loads of goals in the process.
Our players look stronger, fitter and happy to play for the club, which was never happening in the last few seasons.

Emery has transformed us in a short space of time, which was the opposite of what Wenger had been doing.

He is clearly the man for the job, it’s just a shame we had to wait so long to get a new manager, rather than seeing Wenger drag out of the CL and nowhere near challenging for the PL title.

I doubt if even the most staunch Wenger supporter would have him back.

2 Likes

I’ve repeatedly said that I don’t think we have a squad with less quality than Spurs and looking at United they don’t really have anything special either. Even Chelsea lost some of their quality because of an outgoing Courtois and Diego Costa, Fabregas who seems to have lost his legs a bit and an somewhat aging squad overall. The 63 points of last season (@SRCJJ) wasn’t really a fair representation of the quality of the squad in my opinion. The players just seemed to have lost (unconsciously maybe) their faith in Wenger and their abilities a bit. Which is fair play to Emery to turn that around. But i do believe any ‘decent’ manager should be involved in a top four fight with the current crop of players. Last season we ran into a good Atletico side, but it’s not like that competition has a lot of teams that should hurt us. But, again, since we haven’t won a European trophy since '94 it is something we need to take seriously.

Now if he can achieves those things, although I won’t hold it against him if we miss out on a top four qualification by a hair which isn’t an unlikely scenario, and he manages to build on that in the next few seasons with a sustained title challenge. Than yes I think Emery might belong in the top bracket.

2 Likes

My boys f365 with another killer article

#ad

2 Likes

Defending is a different discussion (ofc we need better defending) and what positions they perform in is also not relevant, I’m talking about their performance. Their role is important in our setup and our wide player depth is bad. Saying they move inside, yes they’re supposed to but they’re not doing it well atm.

The young JJ (Iwobi), perhaps our finest natural wide player right now was doing alright for a while but is out of form, invisible vs Spurs, vs United he played a few overlapping passes to Kolasinac (who was stellar going forward) and otherwise he just played the ball backwards like we were playing Denilson until subbed again.

On the other side Micky is playing and I’m certain it is just because he is the best player we have to put on the right side which says a lot, he’s still ranging between abysmal to ‘well at least that’s something’.

What else is there? I am really curious about Eddie but he sees little light, then what. an injured out of form Welbeck? Ramsey and Özil who are central players first and foremost are the best alternatives, and while Ramsey was amazing vs Spurs he seems to be leaving and I’m left thinking Özil is still the best alternative by a mile for the right side.

Transitioning from Wengerball to Emeryball we clearly eneded a ballplaying GK which we bought, deep lying playmakers which we bought, and then I argue we are also more dependent on our wide players being quality than we were, depth there is poor atm, improvement there would be a relatively big boost. And I mean I luvvv Iwobi and I think Özil could do great on the right side wandring in centrally so solutions could be in the squad.

2 Likes

Ya I don’t get it…they are just blowing up balloons for a birthday party. They just cropped out the cake.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/JasperSG1/status/1071102767685664768

:arteta:

8 Likes

I have to ask what you mean in regard to Chelsea dreaming about top 4 and winning a Europa League ? This is a club in the last 8 years that has won 3 league titles, 1x CL, 1x EL and a few FA cups.

1 Like

I guess Raheem Sterling spent all week at home so they needed to go back to August for this one

5 Likes

Lol why are they trying to paint that story as a negative? Our players are legends for that

Because the British press love a scandal.

Talking about their current and last season’s (5th) situation.

Its Emery’s first season at Arsenal.

I stand by if Unai manages to get us top4 and win the EL with a squad mostly inherited from a previous manager that he has done a remarkable top job.

Most other big clubs in the EPL don’t manage that in a new manager’s first season, with personnel that most of us deemed not good enough, except for maybe two or three players last season.

1 Like