Unai Emery

It’s a new league and new club. Why is his time at PSG and Sevilla so significant to the Arsenal job? Not everything stays the same from one job to the next and we’ve seen proof of this many times before.

2 Likes

Get the feeling we will get lucky this year. Granted the defence needs sorting and that can be remedied quite quickly by playing Torriera, Leno and Mavrapanos. This should get us to January and then maybe look at further additions ?

How else do you analyse the guy without making reference to his choices and actions to his past experience?

P.s. This is not to say I agree/disagree to any of the comments above.

Well you can analyse his experiences at PSG or Sevilla all you want but the way people write off managers like they can’t learn, develop or evolve is foolish.

Especially when in this job he’s entering a totally different set of circumstances to anything he’s been involved in before.

It boils down to us not being happy to admit we don’t have a clue how good he is for us, or what he’ll do or how this’ll pan out.

3 Likes

Exactly. He even admitted he couldn’t express himself well at P.S.G. because of Neymar.
That’s a new challenge and i think he is relishing it, instead.

No I do agree with you, it’s a valid argument and you are totally correct that he can learn or develop further. Or he may even end up forming better synergies with our players more than he has done before, who knows.

But I have to say that for me personally I was happy with his appointment on the basis:

• He’s had experience at an elite club and albeit an unsuccessful one, he still won the silverware with them
  • He has proven success in Europe
  • He’s utilised squads of average players to draw tangible success out of them

All of the above were opinions I had to form by looking at what he’s done in his previous roles. I can’t see any other way I could have tbh

1 Like

We’d won one match away from home all 2018, and in his first three away Emery has won two of them. The other was an unlucky loss at the Bridge.

That’s what progress looks like, even despite the low bar.

1 Like

Today we have finally seen a glimpse of his football. Looked very compact at the back and quick in transition.

1 Like

So,

Defeats to City and Chelsea, wins against West Ham, Cardiff and Newcastle.

Is Emery’s start acceptable?

• Yes, acceptable
  • No, should do better

0 voters

Of course, it is acceptable. What do you pretend from a new manager who takes charge of a mess?

Points wise yes. I’ve not enjoyed a single one of our games yet though, never felt comfortable either.

1 Like

Chelsea should have been a draw.

That’s pretty irrelevant to the question as posed.

He’s done the bare minimum thus far, lost to the 2 good sides we have faced and beaten the 3 we’d expect to beat.

No it is not; it asks whether it is acceptable? I gave an answer and the reason for my answer.

Edit: you seem to be fine with people answering and giving explanations, but not me; why?

I think a very successful first 5 in advance would have been 10 points honestly… playing 3 out of 5 on the road, one against Chelsea and one home game against the Champions (who we are miles away from right now and were behind them by what, 30 points last season?)…

9 points is acceptable for sure… not great, but acceptable.

Worrying is how dysfunctional we look at times… our defense other than today has been a bit chaotic and susceptible especially to counters and our passing and offensive fluency is also Jeckyll/Hyde atm… it is early and we are adapting, so points are precious… just gotta hold on until we get a bit more experience with the system and people can start acting more instinctually and organically as a side.

Lol.

I just don’t think your reason is relevant. If the question had been could we have done better… or are you disappointed with…then fair enough. But is it acceptable, you have to judge that from the point of view of would I have taken the 9 points before a ball was kicked. Absolutely imo.

Everyone gave a reason in one way or another.

Isn’t there a discussion? Just you think something is irrelevant does it matter? If people answer and give a reason then my point is irrelevant at all in fact it is relevant to the wider discussion.

I answered No and gave a brief reason why. So very relevant; but cheers for your irrelevant comment.

Of course you have to extend your reply clause you knew you sound like a right dick for no reason

Yes I did extend my reply.

I changed kick to kicked. :slight_smile: