Tottenham Vs Arsenal (postponed)

Of course, nothing stops anyone anywhere being hypocritical about things, pretty much the reason I muted the COVID thread like week 7.

I most definitely did complain about what Liverpool did, and thatā€™s why I voted for us to play this match :innocent:

1 Like

Yeh itā€™s pretty simple in my book too, Iā€™d love this to be postponed if we are genuine in our Covid cases but Iā€™d rather play the game than be dishonest as Pool were. Also Iā€™d rather play without Son, Spurs arenā€™t someone we should be borderline committing fraud over like complete bitches. Definitely no fear playing them on Sunday from me.

1 Like

Make sense for a must win.

Have no issue gaming the system, I didnā€™t slam LFC when they did

1 Like

It doesnā€™t sound like whatā€™s happening in our case at least. This isnā€™t anything to do with the pandemic from what I can see, itā€™s the other injuries and absences that are hurting us.

Iā€™d rather the rules not be stupid, but they are, so if the PL are going to have rules that mean games can be postponed over such nonsense as this then we might as well use them if the manager thinks we need to.

2 Likes

See my issue is if weā€™re hurting because we got shit squad depth and Xhaka being Xhaka then we should absolutely play, any club should have to play, Liverpool should have had to play - as was largely the consensus on here.

I do agree with you though the buck stops with the rules being so fucking stupid right now and sometimes itā€™s stupid not to take advantage of a loophole. Saying that you have to stand by your conviction as a club and as a person at times and I donā€™t think the pandemic really needs to be exploited by any club, us or Pool. Iā€™m certainly no moralist I understand why Pool done it and I understand why we might try to, doesnā€™t mean I have to like it though.

At the end of the day weā€™d just be playing a game of football a little thread bare, itā€™s not the end of the world. Liverpool should have been told to fuck up and play and that would be the end of this precedent, outside extreme and truthful circumstances.

1 Like

After listening to Talksport for a bit and them discussing other situations where games were postponed, I think they will give AFC a break here and postpone itā€¦ FA put themselves in a pickle by making it mealy-mouthedā€¦ imho they should have made the criteria mulit-factorial and include a condition for ā€œhow many are missing due to covidā€ - say at least 3ā€¦ so for example, if you have at least 3 confirmed covid cases so they are ruled out, AND you donā€™t have enough to field proper squad, then you get dispensationā€¦ otherwise no.

One of the other points brought up was the number of players we are trying to ship or put out on loan, right in the midst of AFCONā€¦ so its not a great look.

1 Like

My personal opinion is all games should go ahead with clubs using youth players.

But the league have said a poor precedent postponing games left right and centre, so if they want to save face then this will be postponed.

I think a postponement suits us big time, both teams full strength Iā€™m very confident weā€™d at least get a point, with the players we have available now itā€™s spurs best chance of beating us.

6 Likes

Good to see some other sports are coming to their senses.

Didnā€™t mean to change the tone of this thread so much but itā€™s an interesting circumstance.

Does anyone think that even if we play on Sunday we can still do Spurs, because I genuinely do, weā€™re flying high of the back of last nightā€™s heroics and they look really punch drunk- Kane is the only one who might hurt us with Son out. I hope we play and I hope we win

1 Like

I think we still have a decent shot against Spurs but its going to hurt us against Liverpool in the seoncd leg and Iā€™m pretty worried that weā€™re going to push a player like Saka or Martinelli too far during this period and heā€™s going to get a significant hamstring injury or something like that.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a fair point i wasnā€™t even really thinking about the second leg and how playing Sunday might influence that

Who knows - we also laid an egg against NFā€¦ I tend to think playing right now is bad for us given the situation, some of it self-inflictedā€¦ red card, loans, combined with AFCONā€¦ and a case or two of Covid - any players with knocks or in red zoneā€¦ yeah, its not good.

Having said that, football is an unpredictable animalā€¦

I love that. Attorneys crave multi-step decision trees so something like that seems so sensible.

Iā€™m with @Castiel though. If we get this postponed because of Xhaka and AFCON tipping the balance, itā€™s a little silly. The club knew about AFCON for months, and has known Xhaka is a liability for the last five years. We chose NOT to fix those issues, now we can live with the consequences.

If we had 10 COVID cases or something like that, itā€™s a different story imo.

1 Like

I think weā€™d be a chance as I donā€™t rate them that highly. But Iā€™d have them as marginal fav at home with our current situation.

I think if we play Sunday weā€™ll be gassed for the 2nd leg vs Liverpool also with zero rotation snd potentially more injuries from Sunday.

Rather play it sometime in the spring when we are close to full strength and Iā€™d be very confident.

1 Like

Surprise, surprise.
Media saw Arsenal request a postponement finally and theyā€™re now making a case for it to be played?

Again and again, itā€™s Arsenal against the world.

1 Like

Yep. Wasnā€™t this much outrage over Liverpoolā€™s false positives.

3 Likes

I must be one of the very few people that doesnā€™t care about games being postponed. Itā€™s just whatever. The game will get played.

3 Likes

Expect Tottenhamā€™s anger at the Arsenal request will, understandably, centre on the fact Arsenal recently loaned out Maitland-Niles to Roma. Crazy decision so early in window with players at AFCON

Very valid point

1 Like

As I pointed out elsewhere I like the correct inept organisation to get the blame so itā€™s the PL here rather than the FA. :slight_smile:

And thereā€™s a problem there too when you think about it. Itā€™s clubs themselves that make the rules of the PL and up to now this was either something completely overlooked cos no one thought it was going to happen or the rules are deliberately set out this way to allow maximum fuckery. Probably the former but now that itā€™s all played out this way are they likely to fix it? Iā€™d be surprised.

1 Like