Tony Adams

I saw Adams that season and it’s strange that he was playing in the same team as Pat Jennings who had played in the same era as Stanley Matthews.

8 Likes
1 Like

Can’t imagine many thought he’d still be an active football player in 2002 when Wenger took over in 1996

2 Likes

Wengs methods deserve lot of credit for extending Tony’s time as long as it did. Not only did he extend it but Tony’s game was arguably as good as it had ever been during those years as well.

5 Likes

Nothing left to learn as a defender but yeah Wenger deserves huge credit for developing him as a player.
Player deserves credit as well for changing his life around. The whole back four, Parlour and Wrighty had careers prolonged because of Wenger.

7 Likes

A lot of those fellas did last a long time into their 30’s didn’t they? Keown, Dixon, Adams, Seaman, Wright, Winterburn

5 Likes

Arsenal’s greatest defender?

It’s saying something that in the double winning teams of 1998 and 2002, you had Arsenal’s greatest defender and Arsenal’s greatest central midfielder playing.

4 Likes

I think he’s undoubtedly Arsenal’s greatest defender

4 Likes

Not just Arsenal but arguably England

Moore, Terry, Adams, Ferdinand etc tough to make a top five but Tony be right up there

1 Like

Rarely gets a mention when people talk about English football defending greats these days.

Don’t know where or who with but he’s well within the conversation.

English National Team underperforming throughout the 90’s didn’t help these guys reputation. A shame.

Which is strange as 90’s arguably featured or saw careers start of 5 of the best English CB’s in des walker, Adams, Ferdinand, Terry and Sol

I wouldn’t say undoubtedly the greatest because David O’Leary was right up there, but yes I agree Arsenal’s greatest in my living memory.

3 Likes

Yeah thats my pairing in any all time team too.

1 Like

What was the Adams CV ?

4 x League titles ?

3 x FA cups ?

2 x League cups ?

1 x cup winners cup ?

3 Likes

And a winning goal against spuds in a semi final.

3 Likes

Also the goal that gave him a statue

Captained his boyhood club to the title in three different decades :heart_eyes:

5 Likes
1 Like