Told you so archive - Version 2020s

being a ref

I was headbutted once, I wanted to call him all the names under the sun but had to remain calm and just show the red card. It’s the fact you can’t “banter” back that’s frustrating.

Inattention too, those quiet games when thoughts turn to dinner tonight. Then you’re woken from your daydream by 11 guys shouting “Penalty Ref”! There’s never a good outcome out of that one.

12 Likes

So how many PL matches did u ref for Arsenal then?

1 Like

What a liberty… Get headbutted, feel that you aren’t even able to “banter” back, when breaking their nose would actually be a fairly proportional response.

Love a bit of shit talking referees from the comfort of my sofa when I’m watching top level football, but the way refs get treated at grassroots level has always left a bad taste. Haven’t played properly since my teens, but tried to always make a point of being respectful to the ref. It’s a thankless task and we couldn’t do it without them, yet you hear about some pretty bad instances of actual assault happening, let alone all of the abuse they take which can be very harmful in a non physical sense.

At one point I gave consideration to refereeing. I didn’t really fit into the school team’s squad vibe by my later teens, and truth be told, was starting to be surpassed in ability and commitment by others, and I kinda fell out of love with playing competitive, organised football. But I figured that I could easily study up to be a ref as I’m fairly good at academia/learning, and that it would be a great way to maintain an involvement with football in a way that suited me.

But just thinking about being treated like absolute shit for ninety minutes every Sunday morning for basically no personal advantage, and possibly being assaulted, I just thought “absolutely fuck that”. At least if you play Sunday league and some psycho hatchet man lays you out, you can probably rely on your teammates to wade in and start throwing punches.

As if your linesman is sprinting over and twatting six foot three, Fat Dave from the Dog and Duck XI with his flag cos he had a pop at the ref :joy:

3 Likes

I was right about Pepe and Tierney and it feels great.

I was wrong about Pepe and it feels great. :grinning:

I was right when I said Xhaka could turn it around, which he seems to have done under Arteta and said we would beat Man City and then Chelsea to win the FA Cup.
I was also right about us finishing mid table, although I would rather have been wrong about that.

1 Like

When can we get an update on this @Trion ?

1 Like

Not yet

Can we get an update now.

2 Likes

I was right about Arteta being the cheap option. Only one lower on my list than him was Mourinho. I was also right about him leaving spurs in shambles.

Heh, I was hoping everyone forgot about this thread

@Persona You are wasted
@Calum You are wasted
@ryaninho You are wasted
@Isotonik You are wasted
@Jules You are wasted
@Bl1nk You are wasted
@BizzySignal You are wasted
@Midfield_Maestro You are wasted

@sunny310c You are redeemed
@Cristo You are redeemed
@Stroller You are redeemed
@Kroenkeoutplease You are redeemed
@Wivenswold You are redeemed
@Optikal You are redeemed
@Gunnerpr You are redeemed

8 Likes

Ahem…think most ppl are mirroring these sentiments at this point.

1 Like

There are others too.

1 Like

I voted for disaster though!

Evidence suggests otherwise.

Take the L gracefully Bizzy

Nah man, I opposed his appointment from the beginning spent basically the first month ranting and moaning about him and I voted against him. Never been an Arteta in, can’t have that bro :joy:

1 Like

I have documentation man. You can sue in the OA court but you will not win.

1 Like

how could i miss this poll???