Thomas Partey (5)

Is there a wider argument to be had for Arteta now alienating our better players and being behind them not performing?

Ozil (maybe/maybe not. He may have turned to shit on his own accord, and it could have been the club behind his isolation and not the manager)
Aubameyang
Partey?
possibly ESR?

No.

3 Likes

Yeah, course cos youā€™re at the club daily, aint ya.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so. Ozil and Aubameyang were down to attitude and behaviour. Same for Guendouzi.

I think the rumours about ESR are to be expected given his injuries this season. Weā€™ve invested heavily in players like ESR and we know Arteta is ruthless when it comes to moving players on. If the club have concerns about injury or that his mentality (going on the All of Nothing documentary) isnā€™t strong enough, I think he will be moved on. If we are going to sell, would make sense to look at doing it this summer.

Partet is an interesting one for me. He has had an excellent season overall, but form declined, and still hasnā€™t made it through a season without injury. I think he experience and quality would be important for us next season, especially in the CL, however if a big bid came in for him, I wouldnā€™t be adverse to cashing in now. Iā€™m more and more convinced by Caicedo, so if we signed him and Rice this summer, I would be open to Partey leaving.

1 Like

I donā€™t think heā€™s behind them not performing. Ozil didnā€™t tow the line, and his quality was already dropping well off because he wasnā€™t a fan of doing things you really need to do to stay sharp in your 30s like train and play in away games.

Aubameyang, I feel he was right on and I think the form of the team following his departure supports that, especially after he switched from Laca to Eddie up front towards the end of last season.

ESR, I donā€™t think is in the same bracket, heā€™s a young player who hasnā€™t quite made the grade yet whereas the others are all seasoned pros.

As for Partey, whilst heā€™s certainly in poor form Iā€™m not sure weā€™ve seen enough to say heā€™s going irreversibly downhill or that the manager has lost faith in him just yet.

1 Like

Nah the Arteta alienating certain players was always biased garbage from people who had a bone to pick with Arteta and were unwilling to see his vision. It was usually followed by the rehetoric he was some fake tough guy but the reality is it was always about two things the football and the finances.

The players that were ostracized simply had to go, they never suited Artetaā€™s project and Iā€™d go as far to say that the higher ups wanted expensive clowns like Auba/Ozil out the door. Pepe probably falls into this category too through no fault of his own.

People forget that we actually cleaned the wage bill during this process which is one of the hardest things a new manager can do.

Iā€™m also not going to believe that ESR is in this camp until I see him get a move away. I still have a feeling Mikel will stand by him unless a crazy fee comes in

4 Likes

Letā€™s not pretend there was anything to cheer about for large portions of the seasons we finished in eighth. He made plenty of mistakes along the way and (along with the club) pivoted from trying to buy back into the CL with older players to a full rebuild.

EDIT!
As far as Iā€™m concerned Arteta wasnā€™t the main cause of this, it was more down to the quality of the squad we had when we took over. It is evident the progress he has made with the squad and the results since we took over.

Was or wasnā€™t? :wink:

1 Like

Nah fuck that more than a few of us were willing to accept what he was trying to do under pretty difficult circumstances. He got left with an absolute dumpster fire and people expected it to be all sorted over night.

Man won an FA Cup playing AMN at lwb and Tierney LCB ffs

1 Like

Have edited! lol

1 Like

Partey in various performances this season was the best player on the pitch for us. Just stepping out of trouble like he was playing against 5 year old kids.

Manage his minutes better next season. Rest him appropriately. Keep him at maximum health. He will ball again for us.

He was jaded mentally and physically when we got to around April.

A fully fit Partey is probably the single most influential player we have. More than Saliba or Saka. He makes the whole team tick and makes everything so easy for everybody. That version of Partey (who was brilliant for 75% of the season) helps to get us 80+ again.

Letā€™s hope, like how City those cunts do every season, that Parteyā€™s best form comes in the run in and helps see us through to a brilliant finish. We do that if we buy Rice / Caicedo / whoever to share the burden.

6 Likes

How long does Partey have left on his contract?

Pretty sure itā€™s until 2025, so 2 more years.

1 Like

This!

Partey more than anyone suffered trying to fill the void created by Saliba injury.

2 years

I dont see him leaving this summerā€¦

2 Likes

Hmmm ideally we should be asking him to extend this summer. Shouldnā€™t really wait til next summer as weā€™ve got ourselves in that mess a number of times.

There are those allegations to contest with, however

He is 30 now (in a few weeks), 32 at the end of the current deal, I cannot see us extending him now, I think there will be many other priorities this summer

1 Like

I think with someone Parteyā€™s age the resale value is almost dead anyways, youā€™re simply just better off having his talents in the squad for another 24 months minimum.

9 Likes

If we lose Partey, weā€™re fucked.

When heā€™s on form, heā€™s the top 3 midfielders in the league. Rice & Caicedo is a downgrade if we lose both Xhaka and Partey.

Ideally our midfield needs to be Partey, Rice, Caicedo & Gudogan. With Odegaard and Mount in the #10 spot. Anything less than that isnā€™t enough.

3 Likes