Thomas Meunier

but we dont its utter crap, so we will be fine. I pretty much guarantee we will spend £100m maybe even more this summer.

3 Likes

Yeh as I said earlier it’s a huge upgrade over what we would have starting at RB come next season and there will be huge questions over whether Bel comes back as he was.

We can improve all over the pitch but full backs and a CB are a must. We’ll also spend more than 40 million this summer when you take into account out goings because at the end of the day how are you going to fix anything with that kinda money.

You’re argument literally would apply to anyone we buy, we need X but Y will cost half our budget so is it a smart move. When you have as many holes to fill as this squad there’s no point taking the 40 million too literally.

I agree that the 40m figure is potentially bullshit but I don’t think we’ll be spending £100m, no way. The only way that happens is if we get a massive fee for someone like Laca, which I really don’t want to see.

i think you will be surprised then.

being in the Europa final has brought in about 50m, the new deal for Adidas is 60m so that is up 30m i dunno how much the emirates new deal be a season but i reckon at least another £20m on that, then we have lots of idiots leaving finally so that opens up the wage bill then we also have cash reserves too and then if we do sell anyone that is money on top.

It depends what the outgoings are though. Players like Mustafi won’t command a huge fee, and if we sell Ozil for example we won’t be making that much money off of it.

Regarding which holes we have to fill, do you really think Bellerin isn’t good enough? He isn’t the best RB in the world and he’ll also be recovering from the injury still, but he’s a pretty solid player and I think AMN has done enough of a job to satisfy me that he can fill in when we’re in need. I don’t think a RB is what we need right now, that’s basically why I’m skeptical here.

OOPS, you meant the other Swiss fucker. Sorry, RB thread and I assumed.

He’s gone.

I hope you’re right, I’m just not going to hold my breath. One thing I will say is that I thought last summer we did a decent job actually, so if we continue in the same form I’d be pleased.

I think Bellerin is just about good enough but with his fitness he’s a huge risk. I think Amn is about as far away from good enough at RB as possible and is one 3 main reasons why we haven’t qualified for the Cl, the other two being Xhaka and Mustafi.

Before the end of the season I was like you and wanted to keep Laca as he’s one of our few good players but now I want to sell him to Barca and squeeze every penny out of him so we can entirely reshape this squad. Buy Meunier, Fraser those two lads from Sampdoria and whoever else we can to give this squad any semblance of fucking balance.

This has honestly been my second worst season watching Arsenal only after last years horrendous ordeal. So I’m very much in the camp that wants to see fresh faces and a fresh more balanced look to the squad. Meunier is a great start for the right sort of money that tbh I would actually pay more for so I don’t have to watch AMN start our first game of next season at right back.

2 Likes

Emirates shirt deal is £40m a season…the new deal is £200m up until 2024…so between that and the adidas deal that is literally £100m in revenue so i think we will spend this summer.

2 Likes

I think that’s harsh tbh. He’s not brilliant there and his future wont be at RB, but honestly when Bellerin went down I thought we were way more fucked than we turned out to be. In the end the season ended in disaster but I don’t think AMN was one of the biggest factors in that.

I do think all of our attacking threat was so heavily reliant on that left hand side which (maybe unfairly or fairly) exposed Kola’s quality a lot. Although perhaps not directly due to specific AMN’s actions, we suffered badly on that right sided flank this year imo.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how anyone could argue he didn’t significantly contribute to our disastrous end. It wasn’t even a case of him playing poor with poor players around him.

He was actively bad in nearly every game I watched him in apart from a couple of home games where he was just ok.

Think back to when Bellerin stepped in for Sagna and things actually looked bright and promising. Fair enough AMN future isn’t at RB but that’s just one more reason why we should sign Meunier. Personally I don’t feel AMN’s future is at Arsenal full stop as I consider Guendouzi to be two or three times the midfielder.

3 Likes

Yeah I quite like Guendouzi as a player; lots of people don’t rate him and I can’t really figure out what they’re seeing. For a 19-20 year old, he shows a lot of promise for me. Frankly I don’t know where AMNs best position is because we’ve barely seen him at CM in the first team, so I can’t really make a judgement on him yet.

I just think for someone who clearly isn’t a RB though, we could have done a lot worse than him once we were in a tough spot. The real culprit in this situation for me was Lichsteiner, the guy who legitimately is a RB. The fact that our first choice RB went down and we couldn’t trust the second choice guy to play at all from that point on shows how utterly useless he was for us.

2 Likes

Agreed, but I think a few things contributed to that. Firstly, we don’t actually have a right sided midfielder, regardless of whether or not we had a RWB/RB who could actually get forward as well as Bellerin once we lost him.

Mhikitayran was basically the closest we had in this squad to that player, and he’s so hit and miss that it doesn’t solve the issue at all. I know lots of people get frustrated with Iwobi, but an Iwobi type who could play on the right would have been useful to us this season and we didn’t have one.

As for Kolasinac, well, he was very effective at times but after that shambles of a final he had, I don’t really want to think about him atm…

Yeh Lichensteiner was just bad business it’s not really his fault he’s too old and not good enough the same way it’s not really AMN’s fault he’s too raw, and not really good enough.

What we have to remember is that this all happened when the window was open so we could easily have addressed the issue instead of chasing Suarez. Instead we put our faith in Lich and AMN and I’ll be honest I genuinely don’t see how the second half of the season could have went any worse than it did. Just so I don’t sound like Mr hindsight I did advocate signing a RB in January.

So essentially, if we couldn’t handle a six month period without falling to absolute bits at RB I’m not sure why some fans are neglecting it once more going into next season. Those who don’t learn from history and all that.

1 Like

I suppose I wouldn’t disagree that we need a RB of some stock, but I just don’t think it has to be a first choice one. If we can find someone who’s a good backup to Hector, I’d still prefer that he continue as first choice once he’s back.

I just think having both Meunier and Bellerin for that one position wouldn’t make much sense when we have other areas that are much more urgent to address.

We could keep going around in circles about this though, so we’ll just have to wait to see what the club does.

AMN and Guendouzi offer different things though, so space can be made for either.

I maintain there may be more to him in the middle.

Take Vs Man United last season as an example.

Guy has what it takes to be successful. There have been games where he was accomplished at RB too, but ultimately that’s not his position

You’ll never convince @Castiel bruv.

He’s about as high on AMN as one is on getting a colonoscopy :laughing:

If you give folks some general anaesthetic they’re high AF in colonoscopies tho

2 Likes

I’ll take your word for it Doc

1 Like