Thierry Henry

Selective praise from Henry imo. I reckon he still wants the job and thinks he can do better than Arteta. That’s fair though, and that’s the right mentality to have if you want to be the main man.

Love hearing Thierry speak about his manager career so far what he’s learned and his beliefs.

1 Like

Sky Sports posted the whole segment.

Really interesting to hear. I would genuinely love to hear from Arteta one day on how he planned his transition into a coach. Same for Lampard and Gerrard.

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM4Tqj7l7W7/?igshid=14dgf0iceufzs

13 Likes

Good move, more prominent accounts should follow on a permanent basis

6 Likes

Excellent move.

The real solution here seems to be;

You can create a social media account to view whatever you want anonymously but if you wish to engage with anyone and send messages / reply to things then you need to have a verified account.

5 Likes

Henry got some legends on toast in this clip. Got poor Cannavaro just slipping and tripping everywhere. Watched this game as a kid back in the summer of 2000.

5 Likes

Pires basically put out a “Come and get me” plea to Wenger and Arsenal in Euro 2000.

I can remember thinking, “what a player we can land here!” but still thinking he wasn’t going to be better than Overmars. I was wrong, Pires was probably slightly better.

1 Like

Odd guy. Seems to only chase glamour appointments/roles.

He doesn’t strike me as a person who would seek to refine his abilities as a coach at a lower level. Probably thinks it’s beneath him

5 Likes

Bit like Arteta

He’s had two jobs at this point. One of which in the MLS, if that is not a lower League not sure what is. Monaco was 18th or something at the time. How are those glamour roles?

1 Like

Youth coaching at Arsenal
Punditry for Sky
Assistant manager for Belgium NT
Manager of Monaco - Traditional huge club in France and more recently at the time was successful
Montreal Impact in the MLS - Big market team in Canada with clear links to FRA
Now reportedly seeking the Celtic job?

Theses are pretty prominent roles in their respective countries that lean towards glamour rather than substance for coach imo, especially for a big name like Henry.

I’m pretty sure he could get a job in the championship with a London club if he really wanted it, my guess is that he doesn’t want to be seen working at that level

Pretty positive he was in for a couple of jobs in the Championship. Not sure why it never worked.
My best guess is that those clubs didn’t trust that Henry knew the league well enough.

Imo you are searching for things that just aren’t there. People work for their former clubs, that is how we got Arteta, but that is so so common in football. Arsenal and Monaco are former clubs, obviously. Coaching in the MLS, is still coaching in the MLS…

Punditry at Sky is just easy money for these guys.

If anything these parties hire him because of who he is.

He seeks out glamour roles, he seem clear to me based on his coaching career path so far. I don’t why you want to combat this off comment so bad, what’s his connection to Belgium or potentially Celtic?

Of course, I haven’t denied this but the question is why Henry has seemingly chosen a sporadic path in his coaching career so far. I think he’s only interested in roles with relative prominence and glamour. I guess he likes the spot light

He doesn’t seem interested in working in the championship where plenty of former top players have proved their worth as coaches.

I don’t think we are going to agree on if he is seeking glamour roles or not, because I think he clearly isn’t. The fact that Lampard and Parker had chosen a certain path doesn’t mean every former top player does that or needs to do that. I’m not sure who those other top players are who took that path anyway? Parker is not even a former top player.

I guess Rooney is another. But his path was different too as player/coach.

1 Like

I think if you’re serious about developing your abilities as a coach, proving your methods and want to be London-England based moving forward, the championship is an ideal place to start when you consider the level of the league and the ease former high profile players can get a job which frequently become available .

My guess Henry thinks he’s too good to coach at that level and prefers prominent roles

Apart from Lampard and Rooney who else actually did that and therefore did this starting in the Championship to develop your coaching skills became a thing? I looked it up, Scott Parker got his job whilst Fulham were in the Premier League.

Obivously the likes of Dean Smith and Graham Potter took that route. But they had nothing careers as footballers.