Thierry Henry

To be fair to @sevchenko I’m pretty sure Henry Pre-Monaco was in talks to join Bordeaux until they had a disagreement over transfer funds. Love him but Henry is definitely picky over the jobs he wants to do. Which is his call.

1 Like

How many former PL players started coaching in the football league? There’s plenty, I’m sure there’s a wiki list somewhere but of the top of my head Roy Keane started at Sunderland, Terry at Villa and Scholes at Oldham

Not sure that list is as convincing of having a well thought out career as manager. Terry was a former Aston Villa player. The NorthEast clubs had always somewhat of sleeping giant reputations. Or favours that career path in stead of just making the jump like Arteta and Henry tbh.

It doesn’t have to be, point of the list is to highlight the football league is an ideal proving ground for former top player to show their abilities as a coach and that it’s a frequently used path.

It’s Henry’s career, he can do whatever he wants with it but think he prefers relatively high profile glamour appointments. Flirting with the Celtic job kinda confirms that for me

Frequently? We have six examples in 20 years? Of which two of those are questionable. Sunderland just got relegated and was much more a PL-side than Championship at the time.

I thought Gerrard actually made a smart move in starting out in Scotland with Rangers. But I guess coaching in Scotland is now glamorous.

You can search it up yourself, I’m not digging deeper for names beyond the one already mentioned.

Coaching Celtic is definitely a big high profile gig domestically and UK wide.

Of course. But because it isn’t a frequently chosen path and there simply aren’t that many examples.

It’s where Rodgers took the chance to rejuvenate his coaching career, without the spotlights of the PL, and Henry might go to do the same. There is nothing high profile about it. Lennon, Deila, Rodgers and Lennon again…it’s a seat people want indeed.

The day to day scrutiny of coaching Celtic is much higher than whatever Rodgers is dealing with currently at Leicester.

Nothing high profile about the Celtic job? I have to politely disagree here

Celtic and Rangers have so much more resources and are so much better than their competition that managers can make mistakes without it costing them (and learn the job) and still have relative success. You really need to fuck up to not finish top two. Without the English tabloids breathing in their necks. That is why I think Gerrard made a smart move going there. And Henry going there isn’t making a choice for a high profile job. The relative pressure is a lot less.

I just saw a stat that Kane has scored the most away goals in the Premier league for a single club at 84 goals in 120 apps, which is incredible.

But I was like where is Henry?

55 goals what??? Should I be shocked at that? I was mindblown

Raw goal numbers are meaningless these days when you compare eras.

Goals in general are so much easier to score than they were before, because of rules and many other reasons.

Who’s the top defender Kane has faced? Are they better than Jaap Stam, Rio Ferdinand? John Terry?

Is that defender allowed to do what they were allowed to do to attackers back then?

Kane and any other striker used these days to compare to Henry are greats. No doubts. But none of them hold a candle to the king.

And that some stats e.g. raw goal numbers or goals per game may make it look like they are better than Henry, the game is easier for strikers now.

3 Likes

I agree with all of that but didnt he score 175 goals in the prem, just found the number incredibly low.

Ryan Giggs has more

Fowler

defoe

Sherringham

Owen

Cole

Lampard

Anelka

Les Ferdinand

Heskey has 54!

1 Like

Oh damn really?

Well I dunno then I guess.

1 Like

Giggs doesn’t have more EPL goals than Henry… Wtf?

Are you okay mate can you read?

4 Likes

All of those guys spent far more years in the prem than Henry’s 8 seasons :grin:

1 Like

Yeah Henry outscored most of them, the fact he scored so many goals but only 55 away is what is staggering to me

This has to be your personal twitter account the amount you post it?! :grin:

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like