Unpopular football opinions

Champions League song. I hate that fucking thing.

1 Like

So do I, especially when Man U and spurs are in the quarter finals and we’re not.

2 Likes

Iconic song. This is definitely an unpopular opinion haha

11 Likes

I LOVE that anthem and I hope they never change it.

5 Likes

I miss it aswell. Big CL nights in my FIFA arsenal manager mode gets the tv volume blasted up to hear the anthem in all its glory :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I prefer the walkon music, but the combo of the walkon with the anthem is :giroud2:

Tbh the whole “aura” of European Cup football has gone since it switched to BT sport imo.

UEFA Cup/Europa League and CL/European Cup football has always been free to air.

4 Likes

Bt sport has actually ruined football in general for me a bit. Absolutely horrendous channel with shit production values and even worse personnel. Bring on some kind of Netflix for football that puts an end to this competition between sky and bt that fucks the consumer.

7 Likes

A fucking perfect world.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s true tbh.

Can’t see this ever happening sadly.

I think it will definitely happen but might be another decade away.

1 Like

doubt this is unpopular but it really annoys me that managers aren’t allowed to speak about how bad a game a ref has had without getting fined, it got me thinking about it when Neil Warnock made his comment the other day after the Chelsea game, he was completely right and no doubt he got fined for saying it, pundits talk about players when they have a bad game and refs should get the same treatment when they do as well. It really irritates me because it happens a lot, not just Neil Warnock the other day

6 Likes

Yes, bloody well agree with this.

I said it at the time but as much as we hate Pochettino, when he had that meltdown at Burnley, it was out of character for him. It appears that he was triggered and it seems like Mike Riley is just the sort of headline-grabbing wanker who’d love to be in the spotlight, in the full knowledge he’d get off scot-free

Take your point but it was also a lot to do with pressure on his part. They fell apart in a game they where expected to win.

So would it be okay if ref criticize a manager or player for having a bad game?

The performance of a player or a manager doesn’t impact the referee. The performance of a referee directly impacts a team. Totally different situations.

Totally discounting the deception and pressure tactics players & managers throw at refs.

Refs are human and regardless of how professional you want to be, criticizing a ref puts bias in his mind for the next match.

Just realised this is an unpopular opinion thread…haha

1 Like

I see no reason they should be beyond critique. The mechanisms of that critique could protect all parties.

What we have now is refs totally insulated. They can’t be criticised, they get protected when they get a decision wrong and you literally have to send off the wrong black player before a decision made gets overturned. Refs need to get better and the current set up is not conducive to that.

Performance can definitely be improved but not by being publically critical of individuals who are supposed to be unbiased.
If you open up the channel, there are several implications to it. You effectively make their life harder because once managers & players come in, press and fans will jump in.
You make them villains or worse celebrities and the. Refs will become a financial commodities.

Additionally it’s not like managers & players don’t go about lying and being certain about situations which are 50-50. So what filters out unfair criticism?

We need better VAR, we need incentivized schedules based on performance, not a drama show.

1 Like