The Simpsons

#SteamedHams is a thing on twitter lelelel :joy::joy::joy::clap::clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

2 Likes

I’d have “Homer the Great” and “You Only Move Twice” in my top five, for sure. They spring to mind right away when I think of my favourite episodes.

Not quite so sure on the other three I’d choose without having a proper think (there are so many classic episodes), but imo they’re all very good episodes in that top five, so can’t say that person’s made any awful shouts.

Respect to them for not including anything post series 8, I was half expecting an episode from series 19 or some such nonsense lol

I’m up to about midway through season 9 in my rewatch and I have to say almost every episode is a classic up to this point.

I’d find it impossible to do a top 5 but would have no qualms with the top five presented here. They are all brilliant.

3 Likes

Been meaning to do the same since I’ve been blessed with a Disney Plus log in off a friend of a friend, only thing stopoing me so far is the fact that my telly doesn’t have an app for it so it’d mean hooking up the fucking lappy.

Did you bother with series 1? I feel like I should, but some of those early episodes feel a bit out of place next to everything that followed.

1 Like

Do you have an Xbox?

As I’m sure the Disney plus app is on my ps4

Oooooooh, didn’t think of my Xbox at all, that could be a winner. Nice one bruva

2 Likes

You could spend all day looking through the early seasons for a top five but Homer the heretic is one of my all time favs. Early Tree Houses of Horror could probably make up an amazing list alone.

Yes I did season one. It’s only 13 episodes and you have classics like the one where Marge takes up bowling plus Sideshow Bob’s initial misdeed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome, you’ve gotta report back and tell us when things changed. I’m actually a little obsessed with the subject because The Simpsons were easily the funniest show around and then all of a sudden they just stopped being funny, curious to see when u think that is since ur doing a re-watch.

Ten is the last great series imo, 11 is where the dip gets serious. Though some say it peaked in eight or nine and dipped from then onwards.

I’d possibly wanna revise that after a proper rewatch though, as it’s been years and I’ve never watched every episode in order, growing up I’d just see whatever episode was on BBC 2 on weeknights, if I wasn’t out playing football.

1 Like

There are quite a lot of articles written on it but yeah they normally say season 9 is hit and miss and then season 10 you’ll find the occasional gem, but after that it’s over… The reasoning is actually not all that crazy, they lost two of the best show runners in season 9 so it just was never the same.

Worth a watch. This episode is an absolute travesty, it came in season nine and some people mark it as a significant point in terms of the ending of the Golden era.

2 Likes

Ya I’ve read about that episode. Season 9, so sad lmao. They say that season 31 all of a sudden is funny again in this video I just saw the other day but they mainly talk about an episode that predicted all of 2020 :thinking::thinking:

Has anyone seen any of the more recent ones? I’m talking season 10 onwards?

Are there any hidden gems among them?

Yeah that episode is where it started to decline unfortunately, despite having some good moments in it the story line was just awful.

I don’t watch any series beyond 13 but the other day I caught a bit of a newer episode where Homer and Marge apparently met for the first time in the 1990s. It was really awful beyond belief.

I enjoyed The Debarted. There’s also a great one where the family goes on a cruise and it goes all apocalyptic.

2 Likes

I’ve seen that one :joy: i liked it

1 Like

They lost all of their best writers and Groening thought he could replace them without affecting the end product

And this is true, I mean u had Conan freaking Obrien writing episodes for u in the early seasons, of course they were gonna be great.

4 Likes