Pre-2000s Football

Beaten only by an incredible Brazil team in 1998 in a very tough and hard fought game.

R9 was at his peak that night, just unstoppable with the ball.

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

6 Likes

The most expensive footballer at one time going from Torino to Milano, never the same again after a car crash, ah what could have been.

1 Like

I remember when he broke the transfer record, which was about 9m and thinking how will that be beaten. :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh such innocent naive days they were

2 Likes
4 Likes

Never has a ref been as popular as him :grin:

3 Likes

Legendary and firm referee

https://youtube.com/shorts/M8vT-gcKxJ4?feature=share

1 Like

VS.

Who wins?

• Milan 1993
  • United 1999

0 voters

Capello vs Ferguson, who was more on point. Hmmmmm.

1 Like

I edged it to united just, because of Fergie.

I think Capello in the 90s was Fergie equal. Would be great affairs, Capello had the better European pedigree in the 90s but obviously also had the benefit of the better team in Milan.

Would be a great match, midfield battle would be legendary. Two great defences too - Milan probably the best in European football history on paper. But Fergie’s United had unrivalled fight and determination

1 Like

I think that early 90s Milan side is second only to Barcelona 2006-09 as the greatest side I’ve seen play.

Organised, fearsome, awe-inspiring.

2 Likes

Totally agree. Watched a lot of their matches on tape as a kid, was always told my pops they were the best club team ever at the time. Think as I got older I learned to appreciate how revolutionary they were under Sacchi too.

1 Like

Giggs and Beckham wouldn’t stand a chance against the Milano back four, but as two teams close to each other in years it would be a great match to watch, Milan to beat Man Utd 2-0

Milano vs Napoli mid to late 80s early 90s some of the best games ever I’ve seen

Did you know a book just been released on Sacchi and his team. Immortals is the title.

Was proud of Arsenal when we held Milan to a 0-0 at home in the European Super Cup in 94.

How times have changed…

2 Likes

We were only marginally not as good as that 1999 United side, that was demonstrated domestically, even if not in Europe. Obviously the achievement of the treble is absolutely incredible and I’m not detracting from it, but with something like that there’s an element of the stars aligning, as I’ve seen better Man U sides (07/08) achieve less.

So that’s why I was fairly happy going with the legendary Milan side over then without too much wrangling over it. I’d have given it longer if it was the 07/08 side as for me that one blows the 1999 side out of the water (perhaps hyperbolic lol)

3 Likes

I always thought the 00/01 Man United side was better than the 1999 one, too.