Pre-2000s Football

Arguably their 99-00 side was actually better. Certainly much better in the league.

You can’t argue with the treble but they were literally Bayern unluckily hitting the woodwork on numerous occasions, Bergkamp missing his penalty in the FA Cup semi, and one league result away from winning nothing that year.

4 Likes

It’s kinda the mirror opposite of Leeds United in 1970 lol.

1 Like

Their performance in Turin is arguably the best by an English team for me. Keane was world class that night.

3 Likes

Juventus were immortal at that time in Europe, 3x Finalists in a row. Defined Ferguson and the club. It’s also probably why many of the players in that team can’t get past the idea that you need character and personality. That team just never gave up.

1 Like

Have you forgotten our 5-1 against Inter @Stroller ?

1 Like

Forest at Liverpool in 1979 was better.

Not even close mate. Got too lead to something.

Nah there defending a 2 goal lead. United are 2 down in the 2nd leg.
It just doesn’t happen against them at that time.

Agree. Inter weren’t good that year, sacked there manager not long before the Arsenal game and finished something silly like 25 points off the top of the table in a 34 game season in Italy.

Had some good players but midfield was very weak and club was suffering from a real slump and crisis.

Juventus were top of the European tree and genuinely elite club when United bested them.

2 Likes

Chelsea at Barcelona in 2012. Another one better than United at Juve in 99.

No chance. United genuinely took the game to Juventus, Chelsea relied on 50 thousand missed opportunities from Barcelona to get through

Chelsea completed something like 40% of their passes, had 27% possession in that game they were horrible lol

2 Likes

As a result and being down to 10 men against that Barcelona team is worthy of debate tbf. Also of all the players to be sent off ,Terry is the last one you would want.
The odds at that moment must have been astronomical.

1 Like

Lol

Chelsea took them on with 10 men and got past the best team in Europe.

In almost every way it’s better than United at Juve

United went to Turin and went down 2-0 in the opening 11-15 minutes and won 3-2 against one of the most seasoned Juventus teams ever. On top of that, they did so by taking the gave to them and dominating them in stages of the match.

Chelsea had 27% possession, completed 46% of their passes and faced over 20 shots from a wasteful Barcelona team.

I don’t doubt how great Chelsea’s win is, I just think United was a better actual performance. Parking the bus for 90 minutes and barely stringing together a pass doesn’t constitute a great actual performance .

3 Likes

This is what we’ve got to get away from. It was every bit a great performance in the traditional sense. Backs against the wall, hostile atmosphere against the best team in Europe.

You get performances like that. Arsenal at that shithole in 1989 was a similar performance in character than Chelsea’s in 2012.

I’m not doubting what Manchester United did in the semi final is remarkable. I just think there are one or two better performances by English teams away in the European cup over the years. Not many, granted, but there have been.

I think when you’re judging what a better performance is you’re usually going to look at the quality of play on display. Chelsea were hamstrung with the sending off without a doubt and Barcelona were a generational team (albeit past their peak at that point). But I found Juventus - United to be a game where both teams performed at a high standard and United raised their game to legendary level that night.

I think Chelsea got through because Barcelona were wasteful not because it was a heroic and incredible performance of defensive solidity.

By the way, it was a good defensive performance but I’ve always felt like Barcelona lost that more than Chelsea won it. Maybe I’m being harsh as I can be, but I just don’t rate that performance that high. The result is legendary but the performance not so.

1 Like

Actually the result in the first leg gets forgotten about.
Strong performance. Got the goal and made sure they protected it.
One thing worthy of mention and people can say what they like about those players, but winning the CL from their without a manager is some strong character.

1 Like

Anyway, that’s enough about Chelsea.

Bastards. Wouldn’t even be there had it not been for their cash injection.

On a different day Chelsea lose 4-1 at the Nou camp with that same performance so I get what @SRCJJ is saying.

I can’t comment on Milan 1993 as I only started following football in 1998.

As for United 99 fuck it was fine margins, 79 points winning the league by a point over us, that classic cup semi vs us and the Champions league heroic win.

Well it lead me to be a very popular person in a bar in Sicily that night :champagne::champagne::champagne: