The Next Statue?

Well it shouldnt and mostly doesn’t detract. But it often does. I agree totally both were brilliant and had success for their own reasons.

Sure. There familiarity could have played a part, but Wenger having teams, for example, who went unbeaten or have a clean sheet record in the Champions League makes you think he knew his stuff and that argument is not 100% acknowledging that, imo.

I agree.
I have no doubt that Wenger was responsible for some very good defensive coaching, like you say, the undefeated season, and record breaking run without anyone scoring against us showed that.
But it was a combination of a very experienced defence that had played together for ages and Wenger taking that and turning us from being a very defensive, and even boring team, to one of the most entertaining, as well as, successful in Europe.

Just as Graham could never have done what Wenger did, Wenger probably couldn’t have had the success he had straight away without that solid defence.

1 Like

It doesnt matter ,Graham came in to a yoof team that was good but wasnt his . he bought some cheap talent Perry Groves who wasnt the best but would run through a brick wall if u told him to. martin zico hayes ,who scored 20 goals and whose goal at boro more or less won us the league have a place in my heart forever. I know these people have nothing on Petit ,Patrick,Marc Overmars whose goal at OT that early afternoon sunk MUFC. They all are heros . for ever

David O ’ Leary would be a good choice for me. 722 games and unlikely to be broken.
Good footballing centre back but someone to me represented our club in the true Arsenal traditon. Class personified imo.

Apart from Wenger, I don’t think anyone has any good claim for a statue.

1 Like

Shocking.

3 Likes

I’m very wary of giving players statues - they should only be reserved for real servants and innovators of the club.

The threshold should be very high and I personally wouldn’t have given Henry one I think a Bergkamp statue is justified because he represented something much more than what he gave on the pitch. I can’t really think of anyone out there who is worthy of such an honour beyond Wenger.

Would my suggestion of O ’ Leary meet that criteria.

I honesty don’t know enough about him to comment but from what I can gather just on the surface i’d say no. His service to the club deserves to be recognized and celebrated but he doesn’t meet the threshold imo.

The fact that he holds the record for a club like Arsenal and it’s very unlikely to be beaten should be enough recognition for his service. This same logic applies to Henry too

Give Arsene one when he leaves and that should be the end of it.

Arsene, Mr Arsenal himself, Henry and Bergkamp is enough imo

3 Likes

29 years with our club.

However, I think if we were to have one Herbert Chapman would be my shout. That’s a real nod to the history of our club and I think it would be class to give prominence to one of the greatest innovators in Arsenal and English football’s history.

???

1 Like

Had a bit of a brain fart there

What makes it worse is that I’ve walked over that bridge for every home match for the past nine years or whatever :joy:

2 Likes

Had Van Persie stayed, would he have been in contention for one?

No. There are countless players who would have been more deserving of one.

Don’t worry I had the same thought. :weary:

Edit/on topic: imo statues should be reserved for people involved with this club who don’t need a statue to be remembered (if that makes sense?).

Henry and Bergkamp are more than enough right now. We need to give the statue making a break.

2 Likes

There’s no suggestion there are plans for any more. The thread was just meant as a who would you give one to type thing.

I think the clubs got it fairly spot on so far. Apart from the Ken friar one maybe. That seems a bit ridiculous.

He’s got a statue?! Surely the bridge would have sufficed

3 Likes