The Labour Party

I’d say that the election of Starmer to leader demonstrates that it would be possible for Blair to be elected as leader under current leadership rules. Particularly given that Blair was a highly skilled orator,
had bags of charisma and a lot of political nous and instinct, something you can’t really say of Starmer.

1 Like

Stamer would write you a 100k word essay and bore you to death. Like you said charisma and charm is something that he lacks so badly I don’t know he made it to labour leader

Maybe I’m imagining it but I thought there was a strong anti new Labour/Blair feeling among many Labour Party members in recent years?

It’s why they elected the wrong Milliband as leader and then followed him with loony reactionary Corbyn?

It’s possible I misunderstood this all as I’m just a centrist floating voter.

2 Likes

Invading countries on lies tends to leave a bad taste with some tbh.
Problem with this country is people don’t really like protest.
Petitions and hashtag campaigns and public enquiries are as demonstrative as they get. Hence the fucking catastrophe of ineptitude you end up with.
Marry that up with the darling right wing you have running the media your recipe for sheep mentality at the cost of suffering to those without is sealed.

1 Like

I get all that although it still doesn’t explain why they picked Ed rather than David Willieband and then followed that with Corbyn if Labour members really wanted to get their party into government.

The argument on the media is interesting and I hear it voiced by people who argue Corbyn would’ve been electable otherwise. Personally and it’s anecdotal only, I think the media often follows the voters (ie they consume what they like) as much as voters following the media. I’d argue that the Guardian (my favourite online paper now) for example is not right wing and personally I find the BBC quite neutral although sometimes ineffective at getting to the heart of the matter.

I don’t like Murdoch papers, the Torygraph, the Mail or the Express personally but I think they’re increasingly insignificant anyway in the age of Google.

Oh yeah, there definitely has been, but thats basically what Starmer is, and he got elected. Sure he courted the left of the party and sold them a few lies to convince them he was one of them, but there’s no reason why Blair couldn’t have done the same if he was ascending now.

After the disaster of the last election a Tony Blair could definitely have been able to elevate to party leader, as they’d have a similar political position to Starmer but all those other things I mentioned which are invaluable skills in a political leader, things all Labour leaders since Blair have lacked to varying degrees.

I say “a Tony Blair” because the man himself couldn’t win a party leadership election in the modern day due to Iraq and loads of other baggage. But a version of him without the baggage he’s carrying from when he was PM could get elected to position of leader now. In my opinion of course, there’s no factually right answer to the question.

Dumb question but is Labour traditionally cast as the party in permanent disarray much the same way the USA media defaults to “Dems in Disarray!”

Not to derail the convo but this had me cracking up :joy::rofl:

3 Likes

Of course. All the time.

1 Like

1 Like

Think what Labour could do with a competent leader.

3 Likes

At this point labour just needs a new party because it goes deeper than just the leader

1 Like

1 Like

Little rat, sensed where the wind is blowing

Lots of grifter are going to start being publicly complimentary about KS

1 Like

Thought that coming towards the centre comment sums it up. Going to butter up the right people.

A good thing about that is that Labours stock might be going up then hopefully.

Labour have a lot wrong with them but these Tories need out ASAP under any circumstances.

I will vote Labour the next election.

4 Likes

I’d be intrigued to see what the UK looks likes after 5 years of a LAB/SNP coalition govt

I know it wouldn’t be long before Starmer appeared on the front of some of the tabloids, wearing a cossack hat, with the Kremlin in the background.

1 Like

Probably like a boring corporate HR department