The Labour Party

Have to love how you can essentially lie with impunity in the Commons but you can get kicked out for telling the truth :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

That is true but like is said there is a way to call him a liar without calling him a liar. Because she is the opposition her calling him a liar is subjective. If she gave objective undeniable facts and kept to the rules of the house then there is nothing wrong. Calling someone a liar without pointing out the lies is childish in my opinion and a mp should know better. What made this situation worse was that she said she was standing up to power. Thatā€™s stupid because she is not an activist she is a mp that is on the opposition bench. Her job is to keep a check on those in power and scrutinize them not calling liars based on no established facts

Just had a year of lies over PPE contracts as established facts.
The rules are in the mud mate. Credibility in the house has gone.

2 Likes

Exactly.
She knew what she was doing and knew she would get kicked out but, like all self serving politicians, she also knew that it would get her name in the headlines.

Everyone knows Johnson is a serial liar, including his own party , so we donā€™t need to hear it from some back bench, attention seeker who should be working for her constituents rather than massaging her own ego.

3 Likes

Well yeah, you canā€™t not agree that it was a rule breach and she should have been removed.

But itā€™s pathetic to not have a stance on it for several days. Probably had to wait for 3 focus groups of red wall voters and Peter Mandelsonā€™s sign off first.

7 Likes

Lmao I never knew that part. Damn the guy is a nothing leader

Itā€™s tactical and itā€™s the correct move at this stage, imo

Closer is to a GE is the best time to sharpen your perception and set clear policy in order to create contrast.

The whole dynamic is skewed, the priorities and concerns of Butler moving forward is not the same as Starmer, She can engage in silly stunts with zero electoral consequence, KS has to tread lightly

1 Like

Out of interest, why is waiting several days before commenting the correct move in your opinion?

Love how itā€™s a stunt to call a proven liar, a liar.

1 Like

Itā€™s a similar tactic Tories use never commenting damaging stories in the moment and waiting days weeks for other stories to come to the forefront before quietly confirming facts no one now cares about.

Waiting allows you to better assess reactions, allow people to calm down and refine your own position with a longer view in mind. Commenting in the heat of the moment has very little value/impact for Starmer with the people who will actually matter tbh

@Jules Itā€™s a stunt when someone who has been an MP for a very long time knowingly breaks the rules/procedure and subsequently milks the reaction? She can call BJ a lair all she wanted in media she knew saying it in the commons would produce an adverse reaction so she can play martyr.

1 Like

I support her and I wish more would do the same.

But Starmer didnā€™t confirm any facts, did he? It sounds like he just gave his opinion on her statement and her ejection from the House. I think thereā€™s a difference between a government quietly and belatedly announcing inconvenient facts about something to minimise the attention it gets and the LOTO offering an opinion on something. And if nobody now cares cos the story has been superseded by other stories, then whatā€™s the point in commenting at all and dredging back up an issue people no longer care about?

Personally, his statement is pretty milquetoast, and I canā€™t imagine heā€™d have said anything different had he commented on it any sooner. I donā€™t think heā€™d have said much different in the heat of the moment. But I do feel a statement on the matter would mean more coming hot on the heels of the event when people are interested, rather than coming later at a point when you say other stories will now be the talking point.

1 Like

Fair enough, My general thought process on Starmerā€™s leadership is that actions and positions outside of the 12 month period before a GE, should be minimised unless you know the contrast will be important to highlight in 2024.

1 Like

Yeah, fair, you have been saying that quite consistently now, itā€™s quite a realpolitik way of looking at it (I donā€™t mean that negatively)

I donā€™t actually care about what he said on this topic, as I donā€™t really care about this issue, it isnā€™t important lol. I obviously agree with what she said about Johnson, but I donā€™t care about her being kicked out tbh she was grandstanding and was perfectly happy being ejected.

I think thereā€™s some sense in keeping the powder dry til the next election is more imminent, but you need to find the right balance and still do a decent job of opposing the government in the meantime, and I think heā€™s gone too far one way.

1 Like

I would wish they opposed something rather than just grandstand :unamused:. And they wonder why they lose to Boris

1 Like

Someone change Chrisā€™ WiFi password, for his own good. Just take the L mate :joy:

6 Likes

Amazing.

1 Like

Fucking awful representation of a party thatā€™s supposed to support disadvantaged.
Loach films and interviews as a man do more to highlight social issues than anything this party can or would.
Spineless coward Starmer. PMQ soundbite artist. 20 minute a week performer. Fucking establishment appeaser.

3 Likes

You gonna do something then pal?

2 Likes