The Labour Party

Its not racist at all.

Fair play.

I’m not here to change your mind, just telling you how one Jewish person reads that statement by Hatton. It was wrong, it was anti-Semitic and ultimately it’s the Jewish community that gets to define that, nobody else.

He shouldn’t have said it, he shouldn’t have been suspended and it shouldn’t have been dug up years later to beat him over the head.

TBH the issue with actual Labour MPs is emotional yet ignorant tweets made by Naz Shah prior to her being a politician during the massacre of 1000s upon 1000s in Gaza. One of the memes she was accused of anti semitism for was created by a Norman Finkelstein, a courageous Jewish Professor of Social Sciences who has been persecuted by Pro-Israeli groups and denied entry to Israel as a Jew for his outspoken views.

He actually caught abuse for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMYyalNfijg

And he gives his thoughts on the Israeli-Palestine conflict here:

Ex Labour London Mayor came out to defend the daughter of a domestic abuse victim who’d made it into parliment (Naz Shah) and made some unfortunate comments about Hitler being pro-Israel.

Aside from that antisemtic comments are within Labour members who aren’t politicans and make these comments because they are outraged at the treatment of Palestinians. Some of these comments are ill thought out and thus perhaps offensive bu essentially well meaning.

Do you see the problem here?

I’m not going to retread old ground. It doesn’t matter if a Jewish person created the meme or whatever. A Jewish person is totally capable of saying or doing something anti-Semitic. If Naz Shah shared it or Tweeted it or whatever, the fact a Jewish person created it does not give her cover.

1 Like

I’m genuinely trying to be sensitive in this stuff, but is it really up to a community to decide what is or is not offensive / racist? Surely that’s a human decision for all of us. I mean there are Muslims who would say that a picture of Mohammed is Islamophobic, and clearly that is false.

3 Likes

Yes it is up to the community to decide, but each community has different mechanisms in figuring out what’s out of bounds and that differs when you’re talking about a religious community or an ethnic community or a racial minority.

The Jewish community has no central authority. There’s no Pope, no President or King of the Jews (shout out to the musical Jesus Christ Superstar). Plus the Jewish community in the United States has enjoyed unprecedented safety and prosperity compared with the Jewish community in France. Those two Jewish communities are going to define their boundaries differently both because of what makes French people different from US citizens and because of how the French-Jewish experience differs from the US-Jewish experience.

But I think while you would have a lot of Jewish people agreeing with the sentiment of what Hatton said (i.e.: Israel’s policies are crap and should be opposed), I think you’d have a lot of people saying that his insistence as an outsider imposing a certain responsibility on Jewish people is a no-go.

It’s not a perfect standard and it can change over time to be sure. You can even have sort of weird offensive behavior hierarchy. For example I wouldn’t treat someone saying “Oh hey, you’re Jewish, you’re probably good with money” the same as someone saying “Oh hey, you’re Jewish, you’re a k*ke motherfucker.” The first person needs a gentle reminder why that’s not cool to say, the second person probably isn’t worth talking to.

Ultimately each community develops a consensus with respect to what is or isn’t cool.

The Black community decided that people outside the community can’t use the N-word.

The Gay community has decided that people within the community can use certain language like someone describing themselves as “queer” or a “queen” but that type of language used by someone outside the community could be viewed as hurtful.

Like I said, it’s messy and fluid but I think the only thing I’d want from people outside the Jewish community is the willingness to be educated. The problem is we don’t necessarily live in a world where the first impulse is to be kind, the first impulse is sometimes to start a mob on Twitter. :gabriel:

It isn’t. In order for a community to be treated as it wishes it needs to either work with all of society to find common understanding, as is the case with say the n-word, or else it tries to enforce its wish by other means - worst case example fire-bombing Charlie Hebdo because you don’t like a cartoon. No community gets carte blanch to decide upon expression without general consent.

So is it antisemitic to agree with Mr Hatton? Or just to voice it?

I think we’re going to just disagree on this.

I think you’re putting too much of a burden on a minority community to behave in a certain way in order to gain acceptance from greater society and therefore sensitivity with respect to certain words or phrases.

I never argued that any community gets carte blanch to decide but that consensus forms within that community. It never occurs in a vacuum.

I don’t understand the distinction.

Right, but you never look at what actually happened and in what context. Instead you take it as red that something antisemitic definitely happened. It’s too black and white. In this case it was a picture of Israel fitting into a space in Florida IIRC as an alternative location for a Jewish State, it was originally satirical.

It’s a good example because there’s a decent proportion of the Pakistani community who consider blasphemy or drawings of Muhammad to be Islamophobic/racist as well as blasphemous.

@Joshua knows full well that a certain proportion of the Jewish community consider criticism of Israel and it’s actions to be antisemitic. Which he knows full well is a nonsense, yet he still pedals ‘it’s for the community to decide and if an individual says there was antisemitism, there definitely was no matter what was said or done in reality.’

2 Likes

According to Squawkbox it was Joan Ryan who breached Labour data regulations and it happens to be a criminal offense hahaha.

you’re an insider. Can you share just how bad the rank incompetence is within every facet of Labour?

I can’t believe my eyes at the shit they do. Makes the Thick of It look soft.

Like the Angela Smith thing, now this data breach. You got any funny stories? I’d love to hear them.

I think rank incompetence is the definition of British politics :slight_smile:

I’m not pedaling anything. Just as it’s up to the Black community to decide what racism is, it’s up to the Jewish community to decide what anti-Semitism is.

I’ll set your condescension to the side and address your point with respect to criticism of Israel. There is a segment of the Jewish community that find any criticism to be proof of anti-Semitism, they are not the majority of the community and those views are largely seen within the Jewish community as fringe. That’s what I mean by the community coming to a consensus. We moderate it ourselves.

I’ve never said that if a single individual claims certain behavior was anti-Semitic than it’s true. What I do believe is that everyone has their own personal line of what behavior is offensive to them but that it doesn’t necessarily correspond to what the community as a whole has decided.

As far as what @JakeyBoy raised above. I probably typed faster than I was thinking. My point was that an individual person within the community didn’t have the authority to decide what was offensive for the whole community and that it’s up to the community as a whole to decide. The community may even disagree!

And to @arsenescoatmaker point about the Naz Shah situation. My issue wasn’t so much what was posted but the idea that if what was posted came from a Jewish source than it can’t possibly anti-Semitic. There are plenty of Jewish academics who peddle some of the most offensive anti-Semitic conspiracy theories in an attempt to win notoriety. Do I think making a joke about fitting Israel into Florida is anti-Semitic? Not really. Do I think it’s particularly clever? Not really. Jewish-Americans live in Florida, especially older ones from the Northeastern United States who tend to be very hawkish on Israel or so the stereotype goes. Israelis don’t live in Florida. If anything it’s a cheap attempt at being funny or playing up the stereotypes. I don’t think it’s anti-Semitic, I don’t think it’s funny. I don’t think Naz Shah should have been dragged for it if she posted it years ago. But I also don’t think just because she got the meme from a Jewish guy means a damn thing.

I wouldn’t say Labour has rank incompetence, in my experience it’s been fairly well run, considering, that is, that it’s mostly run by activists and volunteers. What I feel most is just a complete distain for the self entitlement, hypocrisy and willingness to cheat which I have seen from the right of the party.

1 Like

On the Naz Shah thing, I found Norman Finkelstein’s thoughts on the matter (and his thoughts on other things) to be pretty interesting

Did you create the controversial image that Naz Shah reposted?

I’m not adept enough with computers to compose any image. But I did post the map on my website in 2014. An email correspondent must have sent it. It was, and still is, funny. Were it not for the current political context, nobody would have noticed Shah’s reposting of it either. Otherwise, you’d have to be humourless. These sorts of jokes are a commonplace in the U.S. So, we have this joke: Why doesn’t Israel become the 51st state? Answer: Because then, it would only have two senators. As crazy as the discourse on Israel is in America, at least we still have a sense of humour. It’s inconceivable that any politician in the U.S. would be crucified for posting such a map.

Shah’s posting of that image has been presented as an endorsement by her of a ‘ chilling “transportation” policy ’, while John Mann MP has compared her to Eichmann .

Frankly, I find that obscene. It’s doubtful these Holocaust-mongers have a clue what the deportations were, or of the horrors that attended them. I remember my late mother describing her deportation. She was in the Warsaw Ghetto. The survivors of the Ghetto Uprising, about 30,000 Jews, were deported to Maijdanek concentration camp. They were herded into railroad cars. My mother was sitting in the railroad car next to a woman who had her child. And the woman – I know it will shock you – the woman suffocated her infant child to death in front of my mother. She suffocated her child, rather than take her to where they were going. That’s what it meant to be deported. To compare that to someone posting a light-hearted, innocuous cartoon making a little joke about how Israel is in thrall to the U.S., or vice versa…it’s sick. What are they doing? Don’t they have any respect for the dead? All these desiccated Labour apparatchiks, dragging the Nazi holocaust through the mud for the sake of their petty jostling for power and position. Have they no shame?

Norman’s an interesting guy. Been listening to him for years.

FWIW I think he’s on the money with this particular incident. Nobody would give a shit if a US politician posted something like that, especially in jest.

What really drives me up the wall is people invoking the Holocaust at every turn. It definitely cheapens the gravity of what happened.

1 Like