The Funny Picture/WTF Thread

North and South America make up the Americas or strictly speaking America. The United States of America is a country within the North American continent.

Like I say it was a pet peeve of hers and if you didn’t get this shit right and were lazy boy were you getting called out.

Central America is feeling left out here

1 Like

Getting out my realm of comfort here, but isn’t it actually part of the North American continent?

Donald Trump says no

Did she have a Venn diagram to explain it?

Like this one?

5 Likes

No but this exactly what I equated it to in my mind when she was explaining it haha.

1 Like

Ireland is geographically part of the British Isles, politically the diagram is wrong :upside_down_face:

Is this one right?

This is the one I used a while back to learn the madness, much more digestible

Yeah I would say it’s quite acceptable

1 Like

Hope they bring back the rumble controllers for this new twist.

1 Like

wow that’s pretty impressive geography right there

1 Like

I feel like you’ve completely missed the point but ok

The comments alone in this thread illustrate that the subject in its entirety is not exactly common sense to most people and the distinctions aren’t really well known

This guy internets.

1 Like

Not quite, usually we use north America (canada, USA and Mexico), central América (Guatemala to Panama) and south America. And there’s the Caribbean as well which is usually part of central america. But is all the American continent, or “America”.

Calling the USA America is wrong, so is calling people from USA “Americans”. We’ re all “Americans”.

2 Likes

Yep exactly, before it was laid out to me it wasn’t something i was strictly aware of. Hell I’d say most people from that part of the world don’t even realize, but as I said to begin with you’d be very pedantic to correct someone calling the United States of America as just America.

As for Central America, most of what I’ve read or been taught in the past has shown it to fall under the North American continent’s umbrella, is that not technically accurate- does it fall under both North and South? A quick google seemed to show that it’s part of the North. Feel like we need another Venn diagram lol

2 Likes

What would you propose they’re called instead?

Also, welcome back, I can’t believe it was that fucking post that brought you back after 5 months in the wilderness :joy:

1 Like

We do plenty of things that don’t make sense.
It’s a matter of conveying the idea properly.

If you call everyone in American continents - Americans, it will create confusion.
When we say ‘Americans’, everyone knows we are referring to residents of USA.
For a reason, We have Canadians, Americans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, 'Country-name’cans

Is it bad I found this funny? :joy:

1 Like

I actually buy midget gems relatively regularly, this has never crossed my mind lol.

In fairness, if the term offends people, I’m totally cool with them changing the name to “mini gems”. Sounds pretty similar, same syllables, same meaning. Seems an easy solution.

I mean, I don’t care enough to see what they’re gonna call them instead, but if I were them, I’d just switch in the word mini instead.

2 Likes