The Cooking Thread

Brilliant! My knife roll hasn’t seen the light of day for years, but I knew I had one to rival that. Nowhere near as posh though tbf!

1 Like

This was the final result, soooooo tender :heart_eyes:
Excuse the shit plates :joy:

9 Likes

Is the big bowl of mash or chips to the side of the pic mate?

2 Likes

So need some advice. My kitchen knives are pretty shot and I’m looking at getting a new one.

I remember Anthony Bourdain’s book saying you only needed one good one for all purposes and he did recommend a few but I imagine they might be quite dated. Can anyone recommend one?

So your options are huge and it depends on what you want to spend and what you’re mainly going to do with it, I forked out hugely on a set of Globals over 15 years ago and they have done me well.

I have in the last few months been on the search for a knife that I used that was a fellow chef colleagues and I believe it to be the holy “one knife” that does nearly everything and it’s this

The reason I haven’t bought it is purely because they used to make a 26cm one and that’s the one I’m on the look out for. I’ve used this knife and I’m pretty confident you won’t find another knife that is as versatile as this one.

If you don’t want to spend too much cash then I would suggest a company called Nisbets, they’re a huge chain catering equipment seller, they have their own range of knives called Tsuki and I’ve spoken with a few chefs who recommended them. I like a knife with a wide blade similar in design to a cleaver but not as big as it allows me to cut and chop faster, so if that’s your bag then this would be brilliant especially at that price. In fact I’d even look up if there is one near you as they have a discount section out back. The one local to me had these on sale at nearly half price.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/tsuki-series-7-santoku-knife-180mm/cf844

Just to give you an idea of size, this is the knife I use the most out of my set, slicing, cutting, chopping and breaking small bones (chicken for example)

3 Likes

I love you man, thank you!!!

Haha so funny why you say that, I work in Holborn and on Thursday during my lunch break I popped into their store on Shaftesbury Avenue around the corner for a peek but they keep the knives behind the counter (understandably) and couldn’t be arsed to have a conversation with the lady at the till.

Like you I prefer wide blade so will take a look and revert with what I went for.

No worries!

I know the one on Shaftsbury Avenue, it’s long and narrow.

I agree it’s annoying having to talk to someone. But I’d definitely suggest holding anything you fancy the look of as you might find it doesn’t sit nice enough in your hand or you might want something heavier/lighter and again if your using it all day then that sort of stuff matters but if your just using it at home then maybe not so much.

To be honest That first knife I posted is pretty good, the blade isn’t as wide as I’d like it to be but then it’s just on the edge of wide enough, very nice to hold and being Wusthof/German it’ll last a long time.

If you get a decent knife I’d also look at getting a decent steel, doesn’t need to be super expensive, I use this one and in fact in typing this and searching for it for you, I paid £20 for mine and now it’s on offer for £9.99 so have just this minute bought two :smiley: But this absolutely does the job, I’ve had mine a year and it’s just coming to the end of it’s life but that’s with heavy use every single day 5 or 6 days a week.

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-diamond-sharpening-steel-305mm/d161

1 Like

You just beat me to my next question haha.

Do you have any preference between the steel and the ceramic water sharpners with the wheels?

If these knives will last me a good decade or more, I’m more than willing to spend a bit on it.

I may PM you later if ok, just so we don’t highjack the topic haha

1 Like

For every day use I use a diamond steel and then every month or so I use a whetstone just to keep that edge there as mine are in use daily, I don’t think a ceramic wheel system will be needed if you’re just using them at home and it’s also really easy to go over the top and over grind with a wheel.

Pm away mate , I’m in work so probably won’t reply straight away.

1 Like

TMI

Work of art tbh. NafeyTea special here.

8 Likes

Is that beans and mashed potato in a yorkshire pud? Get in my bed

1 Like

God damn right it is my dude.

2 Likes

Fucking hell, I’m hungover/still drunk and that looks absolutely delicious right now

1 Like

Belly surely?! :giroud:

1 Like

Coconut sticky rice with broccoli and squash with a soy sauce, lime, ginger and chili dressing. Topped with toasted cashews. Happens to be vegan as well

7 Likes

Looks really good! I eat lots of vegan meals

1 Like

Harissa and garlic dressed butterflied leg of lamb done on the barbie today. Easy as hell and a crowd pleaser

7 Likes

Snap!!! Did that yesterday too.

Looks fucking delicious!

2 Likes

Looks amazing

1 Like