The Conservative Party

The energy price rise is shameless blatant profiteering, not due to inflation.

An absolute disgrace.

Corporations taking advantage of this free for all enabled by this government.

One day these Tories will be strung up by pitchforks. May not be soon, but one day.

And I will love it.

5 Likes

Not sure why you’d go to Turkey, they’re even more fucked.

NZ is apparently going through an even worst CoL crisis with bad salaries.

Only option is really Australia and are you willing to move that far away from your family?

Turkey for it’s more laid back approach and lower cost of living (providing you can find a job or source of income abroad)

NZ I didn’t know that and as @Bavin has mentioned, I think the house prices over there are probably in just as shit a situation as us. While there are negatives to NZ like those above, it’s surely better than the UK?

Australia, high cost of living and I don’t like spiders, but again, surely a better option than the UK? Family wise, I’m ok with that haha.

Turkey is a dictatorship with a fucked economy and a worthless currency and poor levels of English outside of the tourist enclaves, according to my Turkish colleague and other friends I know who have left due to the situation there.

BBC News just did a report a few weeks/month ago that I watched where they interviewed several crying families who were having to leave their grandparents etc. behind because the house prices and cost of living were so grossly inflated and salaries so bad that they were being forced to leave for Australia or go into massive debt just to keep living in NZ.

Granted they were blue collar so maybe different for white collar. Then they interviewed a couple of Kiwis in Oz who had made the move a few years back and were saying that they were earning 50% more in Oz than NZ and that Oz prices were at the level NZ prices were 10-15 years ago and they couldn’t understand what Aussies were complaining about with such high salaries haha Be interesting to hear @Bavin weigh in.

1 Like

Are you trying to depress me bro?

1 Like

She’ll cut civil servants’ time off from 27 to 25 days

Honestly, who gives a fuck about this? Who is standing up and applauding it? Such a bizarre thing to even mention other than to show how punitive you are for no real reason.

3 Likes

Sorry bro not my goal :pensive:

I should have finished my point with what I forgot to put in: check out Malta.

Low taxes, low cost of living, everyone speaks English, hot and sunny all year round, close to Italy and it has a decent economy thanks to the low taxes that means lots of tech companies etc. establish themselves there.

Other than that, I think you’d be better off checking out Benelux, Scandinavia and Germany etc. Bit closer to home but at least they have their shit together and I know Denmark is desperate for man-power and have lowered the earnings requirements to move there.

1 Like

I wish I knew how to speak German.

You’re right about Turkey, the lira is a big mess right now.

However I can’t believe New Zealand living conditions are worse than ours.

We need these Tories out so bad.

1 Like

Labour won’t make it better unfortunately…

Labour are shit but they are not this shit.

We have to keep in perspective just how awful these Tories are.

Even earlier Tory governments are better.

I’d take the Cameron gov over this lot. Even though that prick is partly the reason we are here.

I can’t wait for the upcoming NHS strikes. A few days and this dribbling cunt will back down over her big talk.

3 Likes

I see Truss is coming up with more fantasy Jackanory economics with her civil service pay plan alleging 8bn of fantasy savings.

It’s very scary that she’s the favourite.

1 Like

Truss is going to wage a war civil liberties, ensure widening of the current economic gap and double down on creating divisive policies.

Sunak and Truss are both awful choices who will without a doubt ensure that whatever happens the highest earners will continue to see the UK as a haven for profit making whilst the cost of living crisis just gets work.

2 Likes

I’ll start by saying that I’ve never lived in the UK so I can’t directly compare on an observational level. But most of what @Cristo says is accurate.

It’s very common for Kiwis to move to Australia as they definitely have much higher salaries for basically every industry, with some being even better than 50% from what I’ve heard. One thing Australia also has is a strong mining sector which offers crazy levels of income regardless of where you’re moving from.

My family lived in Aussie for about 8 years and both my parents made a lot more than they were prior to moving there. My mum is in healthcare and her pay went up by almost 50% just by moving there and doing more or less the same role.

I think cost of living is probably lower in Australia (compared to NZ) due to the size and economies of scale. E.g. it’s extremely common for Kiwis to lament the fact we produce so much in the way of dairy products but still pay more than what Aussies do for those exact products.

Cost of living is pretty high here, particularly relative to the average wage. Add this to the fact the job market is quite limited here, particularly outside of our major city (Auckland) and so many of us feel as though we just can’t get ahead. Same in the small business scope, without the size and economies of scale factor, it’s nigh on impossible to do anything very profitable which I can say I’ve experienced first-hand in having had my own businesses in the past.

I know housing is expensive as fuck in Sydney and probably quite comparable to Auckland, but Brisbane prices seem a lot more reasonable and even more so when compared to the higher wages people get over there.

To give some perspective, the average wage here is probably about 60K NZD (NZD to GBP exchange is around 0.50 GBP to 1 NZD) or so and the average house price in Auckland is over $1million NZD. In Hamilton, where I live, the average house price is still around 700K. It is pretty much impossible to buy through saving alone due to the fact the growth in prices tends to outstrip the speed at which one can save and the rise in wages (which seems like it never happens).

Banking restrictions have gotten tougher so now it’s hard to buy without a 20% deposit whereas in the past you could buy with 10% or sometimes less.

Basically every person I know who has bought a place in recent times has only done so through family assistance. Me and my partner only managed to get onto the ladder due to her family gifting some money to assist.

So in short, it’s expensive to buy here, it’s expensive to rent here and our wages are pretty low.

But if you are in the middle class, then I think life is pretty good here, we have a strong social welfare system, it’s relatively safe in most areas of the country and people are nice and life moves a bit slower than places like London or other major metropolitan centres.

If you and a partner earn 80K NZD each or more then you would have a pretty good life here imo but if someone was moving from Europe, I’d personally suggest Australia due to the above factors.

4 Likes

@Cristo @YJYUX I’m sorry if that post isn’t well-organised, I just typed out my thoughts as they came to me lol

I should also add that I don’t have kids and my only major expense is housing so my life is pretty comfortable. I do think people with kids probably do it pretty tough on the average wage here.

3 Likes

C’mon Sunak.

Still amazed at the thought of an Asian PM.

Even if hes a tory?

I don’t know why anyones surprised that Margaret Thatcher is evil enough to have possessed the body of a middling Tory politician before her old vessel perished

4 Likes

Yes

1 Like

I would like to see the Houses of Parliament and government departments to be moved from the South East to somewhere like Stoke or Hull.

The current place could then be sold off and redeveloped as some sort of luxury hotel to pay for the new buildings.

As well as saving a fortune I feel it would help bring politics and central government back into the real world.

I think I’d also reduce the number of MPs from 650 to about 150 to save more money.

I struggle to hate most politicians though like many on here. I think many are motivated by public service and are often trying their best in difficult circumstances. A few are genuinely bad I guess.

2 Likes

You can move the Westminster bubble to Stoke or Hull and it just becomes the Stoke or Hull bubble. It’s still the same bunch of twats congregating, regardless of where specifically in the country they do it, they aren’t any more cunty because they happen to be working in London and not somewhere else.

1 Like