The Community Shield

Surprised they didn’t see an opportunity to play overseas.

1 Like

That will never happen

Just like a world cup before Christmas wouldn’t.

4 Likes

International football is different tbh. That part of the world was always gonna get a world cup at some point imo

I think it will. Didn’t they not long ago discuss the idea of playing a round of PL fixtures in America?

Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool
United
Burnley
Fulham

Plenty of American investment in PL now for it to maybe be a reality eventually.

Italy play their super cup in Saudi, and I think Spanish teams do too or somewhere in Asia / Middle East

English football does not need the money.

They should not go abroad. Domestic fans are the life blood.

Let the American fans watch the audi cup in San Diego.

1 Like

I think there would be much greater push back if the Premier League attenpted to do this as opposed to what you got in Spain or Italy.

Can’t see it happening in the near future at least

I honestly think the overseas fans have too be accounted for at some stage.
Bring a lot of money to the table now and a big reason for new sponsors.
Traditional fans won’t like it but football is just too big now.
NFL have had success with it and some of the CL proposals will keep the change going down this road.

1 Like

Controversial from me here but we’re doing too much for the overseas cunts, anyway, with the stupid televised timings of games.

I mean, they get invested knowing the location of their passion. I’ve never liked something from abroad and thought “you know what, sick of going there, they should bring it to me.”

1 Like

Nah. Match going fans are simply now moving aesthetic for optics for TV. Sound and visuals for broadcast, thats it

3 Likes

That’s the most romantic thing I’ve ever heard.

You ain’t wrong tho

2 Likes

Sky and BT dictate this…nothing to do with overseas markets.

1 Like

Speaking as an overseas cunt I don’t think the timings of matches are relevant, most of Europe is only a couple of hours different and the Australians and Americans still watch the games and ridiculous hours.
European leagues these days have games all days of the week at differing hours too

1 Like

Yeah I get all that but the potential for money making opportunities are far too big now.
There buying shirts and paying for television to watch.
No different to the vast majority of Arsenal fans in North London.

Never have a problem selling games in London for NFL games and they won’t with English football.
Players and club on cash incentives. Could see the players getting the VIP treatment loving it in the end.

1 Like

Not sure what having a game in Saudi Arabia etc does for fans who live around the world, aside the small % who could actually go to the game.

Also I wouldn’t understate how playing at Wembley etc builds into some of the attraction to these competitons. I say this as a particular fan of La Liga but they just don’t have that pull for their equivalent, which is why no one really gave a fuck when it was moved to January and made into a ridiculous four team competition.

All this chasing money eventually just reduces the value behind these trounaments in any case

3 Likes

If we start with the community shield will home based fans care after the first couple go abroad though.
Same few clubs usually anyway and nobody really cares about it.

1 Like

Leicester did :grin:

Playing a PL game in America would be a new low, even by the standards of the greedy money makers who run football.

The point of supporting a football club is that you get to watch your team, home and away, against every other team.
That’s how it works and how it should always work.

The people coming up with these unscrupulous money making schemes aren’t football supporters, they’re just parasites making themselves richer.

Why not have the NLD there or move other sports to America, like tennis.
Maybe we could have Wimbledon tennis tournament over there.

1 Like

Now this all sounds morally good but there’s thousands of fans who have been priced out the game now.
There’s thousands who can’t afford sky or bt to follow their team.
I was talking to a lad yesterday who hadn’t seen the CL final because he can’t afford internet access to watch on YouTube.
Already got the CL likely having the semi finals and final in one venue soon.
Does it really make a difference if it’s Milan or Miami if the fixtures can be accommodated.
Football won’t slow down. Covid proved that. Everything got played.

2 Likes