The Best Defender of All Time

Koeman niet meegemaakt, alleen wat clips gezien. Stam wel een goede, maar niet de beste ooit.

1 Like

I know he’s not quite in the same league as these guys, but as an out and out defender…Stuart Pearce surely deserves a mention…

1 Like

Best one of my lifetime is Nesta as yous have said but it’s probably either Baresi or Beckenbauer.

I voted Baresi

1 Like

One of Koeman’s biggest flaws as a player was his lack of meegemaakts. Thats what separates him and the greats of the game.

3 Likes

That’s just his name on Pro Evo

1 Like

Early 2000s PES was the game. Remember playing PES 5 with peak Henry.

It was unfair :rofl:

No I’m not. It’s just with Baressi being 5’9 and Costacurta being 6’0 I think they could possibly struggle in the air against big men on set pieces.

1 Like

Going with Nesta as I only started watching football in the late 90s and when fit and healthy he’s the best I’ve seen.

Any excuse for this

2 Likes

Stuart Pearce or Ashley Cole as England’s greatest ever LB?

It’s a tough shout, Johnny

Cole by a mile. Better defender. Played Ronaldo out of two games in tournament football.

4 Likes

No chance, Stuart Pearce was the better defender, footballer, character and person…

When Pearce broke his leg in a game, the Forest club doctor phoned his wife and said… “just to let you know that Stuart is coming home with a broken leg”

She replied, “thanks for letting me know, by the way, who’s is it?”

2 Likes

Kenny Sansom is the only other left back that comes close to Pearce.

He wasn’t. He had aggression and good going forward but he was head strong. Didn’t have the reading of Cole or the temperament. Cole was elite 04 06 CR7 in his pocket.
As for Kenny good servant better defender than Cole no way though.

2 Likes

I’m kinda loving the argument of Pearce v Cole.

I agree with both of you :man_facepalming: and therefore still can’t decide

Tony Dorigo deserved a few more caps. Think the international stage would of suited him.

I remember he hit the beans against Holland in the WC qualifier in 1993

Barely watched a clip of Pearce, but all I know Cole is pure class and was one of the best and most consistent performers in our invincibles era, and also carried that over to his Chelsea career, the national team also… He was undoubted class.
He was absolutely one of my favourite players during his time here - I actually wanted him to be the captain after Vieira left, was very disappointed when I heard they picked Henry (loved Henry of course, but never considered him captain material).
Always up for a fight on the pitch, a true terrier but absolutely never reckless, hard to find that. Absolutely loved him going forward, so intelligent, obviously worked so well with our attackers.

1 Like

Sol Campbell

1 Like