The Batman

I only watched the intro but yet I have big respect for Rob being honest about his use but you can see even within the industry he has to do it in a jokey way.

Chris Hemsworth on other hand says he got bigger arms for Thor 4 using BFR exercises lmao, sell those apps boy.

Like just drop the pretence and admit it, anyone who knows anything will still respect the work you put in and probably respect you more for not fucking with younger lads heads.

2 Likes

lol gotta love the Twitter sjwā€™s crying racism for people calling out Nanjianiā€™s ridiculous transformation :joy:

1 Like

The one exception to this downward trend is Dunkirk and I can see war movies copying that same prototype (e.g. I watched something called The Forgotten Battle on Netflix yesterday and it had echoes of Dunkirk within it)

However, one could argue that Nolan had a lot of real life ā€œthis actually happenedā€ material to work with and it, therefore, kept him grounded. Once you start giving Nolan enough rope, howeverā€¦

I really didnā€™t like Dunkirk but I can appreciate why people do. What he was trying to do with that film was certainly interesting but it just didnā€™t resonate with me.

1 Like

Did you like 1917? Not a Nolan film, but your take on it would be interesting. I know @stroller didnā€™t like it.

I liked both 1917 and Dunkirk. Could easily rewatch them.

I didnā€™t even watch it man because I thought it would be too much like this new breed of war films that try to be spectacular linear events lol.

Honestly it - Dubnkirk-really just falls so flat for me, and Iā€™m a big war movie buff, in uni one of the modules I took was on the Vietnam War and the subsequent media representation that defined it, every lecture we watched a film then analysed itā€™s place in terms of commentary of the war. Platoon, Born on the, Rambo 1, Jacobs Ladder, I wrote my paper on Hamburger Hill. Iā€™d seen them all before but needless to say best module ever.

I just donā€™t really understand what films like Dunkirk have to say, other than IMAX tech is next level and Dolby Atmos and Vision are baller.

The only recent war film Iā€™ve really enjoyed was Fury, it was relentlessly good.

1 Like

Oh man, I was in two minds about liking your post when I read this.

I just find Fury unsettling (and not in the good, harrowing way that the Deer Hunter is). More the bit when they end up at that German woman and daughterā€™s house.

Exactly thatā€™s why itā€™s good, itā€™s brave enough to shine a light on what the war was really like, people think that it was just German, Japanese, Soviet troops committing atrocities across Europe. The Brits and Yanks were just as awful and exploitative. We just never seen it because the technology to cover the news wasnā€™t there.

The Vietnam War was the first where a new company could follow a story and have it reported that same evening in the States. Needless to say it didnā€™t take long for the stories to become fixated on all the awful shit the American troops were doing over there. The first and second WW would have been no different on all sides, it just wasnā€™t as convenient to report and publish.

Fury for me was all the more powerful for shining a light in these aspects that people are so quick to ignore. Films like Dunkirk are like 12pg, how do you make a war film 12pg without glossing over the darkness of what makes war such a terrible thing.

1 Like

True. Canā€™t disagree with any of that. Only recently have we shone a light on the Alliesā€™ atrocities (Shutter Island, while not a war film, does the same in a part of it)

I think WW1 is still an untapped venture here. There are a lot of good, educational films to be made about the first global conflict. Itā€™s almost like we went from All Quiet on the Western Front to 1917 with a load of WW2 films in between. (And, as we know from what weā€™ve studied at school, thereā€™s no way such films will be 12pg. Given that more English, French and Italian died in WW1 than WW2, there will be more blood and guts associated wirh trench and chemical warfare)

Have you seen the acclaimed series The Vietnam War? Probably better than any Vietnam war film Iā€™ve seen (and those films are bloody good!)

2 Likes

Shutter Islandā€™s amazing, some great conspiracy theories about it too. Very deep film.

No I canā€™t say I have saw that series, is it a documentary account? Iā€™ve watched a ton of documentaries on the Vietnam War, thereā€™s some really good footage and accounts out there.

1 Like

It was a documentary mixed in with first hand accounts. A little like the World at War (WW2) from the 70s or The Great War (WW1) from 1964.

Really good. Gives a background and builds up to about 10 episodes.

Iā€™ve just checked on both iplayer and Netflix as I type and itā€™s no longer on any of those platforms (it was up to only a few months ago :pensive:)

1 Like

The remake in the 70s of All quiet on the western front was good tbh but never gets a mention.
Read somewhere Netflix are on for doing a new version too.
Great book as well.

1 Like

I loved Dunkirk and 1917 so much, Iā€™ve rewatched them both a couple of times and saw them in IMAX as well.

Just love how different they are to your standard Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers fare.

That said I absolutely loved Fury as well, and thoroughly enjoyed that in the cinema and at home.

Thought all three of them were excellent and very original in their storytelling.

If I didnā€™t already know and went into that trailer entirely cold, Iā€™d have had no idea that Colin Farrell was playing The Penguin.

1 Like

Definitely they were planning for a 4thā€¦ it was such a waste to introduce Joseph Gordon Levitt as potential Robin.

Should have added some sex scenes in between Bale and Hathawayā€¦ made it more darker, and juicier.

2 Likes

I think Batman was the only film she looked remotely hot in.

(Maybe Love and Other Drugs, too)

1 Like

Havoc.

Shite film mind, but thatā€™s besides the point lol

2 Likes

Iā€™ve not seen that one.

The difference between Batman and a scouser ā€¦ā€¦ Batman can go anywhere without Robin

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like