The Batman

1 Like

That was James Bond, not Batman :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeh man, lot of kids don’t understand they nailed Batman decades ago with the Burton masterpieces.

Gotham never looked so good.

2 Likes

And that’s right!! Fuck me Gotham actually looked like a comic book in those films. I like the newer ones too but for me those late 80s, 90s Batman films are the tops.

1 Like

This town needs an enema

6 Likes

:joy:

You ever watch Superman: The Animated Series that ran in the States in the 90s? It’s got pretty good story lines, some series stakes, the best Lois Lane by a mile and still the source material WB should have adapted instead of Zack Snyder reading TDKR and thinking that it was somehow a love letter to superheroes.

1 Like

I agree, Christian Bale is the best

1 Like

Bale was great but probably more so as Bruce than Batman, Pattinson’s is definitely looking more ruthless and unhinged.

I like the idea of a young Bats that hasn’t quite found his centre yet, they killed it with this trailer.

2 Likes

That cringe “I am vengeance” ruined it for me, probably the most feminine Batman voice I have ever heard.

Guy punches a thug half a dozen times, everyone starts predicting this to be better than Bale’s Batman.

They were very enjoyable films in a general sense, but they weren’t great Batman films imo. For a start, Batman was just a straight up psychopathic murderer in those films, blowing up factories full of people, straight up roasting some clown cunt with the turbo charger on the back of the bat mobile, to name but two examples. That was way off as generally speaking, Batman doesn’t just straight up murder people. Making Joker the killer of Batman’s parents was just off as well imo, meant his motivation throughout was revenge and not really justice at all. In Batman Begins he starts off wanting revenge and that’s soon abandoned for him to go off travelling and training, before he comes back motivated by something greater than personal revenge. Now that, is nailing Batman, imo of course.

I love the “never rub another man’s rhubarb” scene cos its ridiculous and iconic, but Bruce Wayne’s behaviour in that scene seems way off.

Absolutely adore that first film cos I grew up on it, I honestly do, but Tim Burton had literally no regard for the canon and it showed imo.

Looking forward to this new one, did make me chuckle how they showed Robat Battinson absolutely leathering the fuck out of that goons face, clearly to try and address initial concerns that this Twilight dude ain’t cut out for playing Batman lol.

At first glance this shot did give me unfortunate flashbacks to emo, evil Peter Parker from Spiderman 3 though lol

2 Likes

Going to have to disagree here, I actually think they were fantastic adaptions that Tim Burton moulded in his own vision. Burton’s Gotham was a visual treat, the casting selection as near perfect for the period as you could want. Keaton, Nicholson, De Vito, Pfeipher’s Catwoman, god damn son.

You have to remember that Frank Miller’s adaptation in the 80’s were largely to create a darker, more violent Batman as he wasn’t as popular during this point- or so I’ve read. Burton took it a step forward and brought Batman as a hero back into the limelight towards the end of the 80’s, early 90’s. We didn’t have the hysteria for comic book films ad nauseam that we have now.

Canon means very little to me when it comes to comic books as you have so many different authors, writers and directors influencing the story in their own way. DC arcs are ripe with alternate universes too, so canon is fluid when it comes to comic book characters as they’re always been reinvented, redesigned and in some cases literally revived. The animated adaptions illustrate this fantastically and I actually really enjoy them more than anything these days.

I also find Batman’s one rule incredibly boring and I had a friend who was way more into the comics than me who has told me that he’s broke it before in the comics in some form or other. I mean I’m all for suspension of disbelief but if you don’t want to ever kill anyone you can’t exactly go around bashing cunts head in all night.

Do you remember in the last Arkham game where you could ram the batmobile into people at like a 100 mph and it would give them a little taze shock to get around the fact you’ve literally just murdered them, it was so stupid.

More and more you’re starting to see people clamour to the darker side of superheros, honestly I think Miller and Burton in the 80’s were just way ahead of their time.

3 Likes

100% agree with this bit.

Appreciate your position, I can see where you’re coming from having read this post. I disagree with some elements of what you’ve said still, for sure, but I don’t have the energy to get into fanboy levels of miniscule detail. Because at the end of the day I genuinely mean it when I said that I loved those two films (particularly the first one). Cos I loved the comics and cartoon series as a youngster my dad for some reason thought it was OK to let six year old me have a copy of Burton’s 89 film on VHS haha. Obviously it blew my tiny mind and I watched it almost every weekend on a Saturday morning when I had free reign over the telly. Its no exaggeration to say I have seen that film over 150 times, at least.

So really, why waste energy debating it, it’s just a tiny difference of opinion between two people who really love a film. I just personally feel that it’s not a portrayal of Batman that got everything spot on in terms of how I perceive the character, so I wouldn’t say it necessarily nailed Batman so definitively that there’s no point in others reimagining it (I know that’s not what you said).

3 Likes

Sorry… Pattinson does not have the look and charisma of a billionaire playboy (Bruce).
Under the costume, almost anyone can be a Batman.
Hope the movie will do good.

1 Like

God man this was me too, the nostalgia is definitely strong with me on it, I’m not going to lie, but I chalk it down to my interest in comic books and the genre so for me it’s always going to have a special place in my heart.

As you say you could go on about the fan boyism all day only to have someone who’s into the source material way more than you school you on everything. I’ve read a few of the comics but nothing religiously as they were always dear as fuck growing up, I mostly enjoy the genre through film and tv and some games.

I just know I like what I like when it comes to the adaptions and the reality is you’re never going to get an adaption that appeases everybody, rarely are any two adaptions entirely similar either. I do love when the narrative gets warped though and things get turned on their head. Thing’s like a vengeful Batman, an evil Superman, it’s all my jam.

I honestly thought Batman V Superman was going to be the best thing ever, and while I enjoyed it more than most you could tell it was completely constrained by trying to not be too outlandish. Fuck that shit take it too an alternate universe like DC do with everything and just go fucking crazy- this is essentially -kind of but not really -what they do in Apokalyics War which I recommend you try and watch.

The other side of the coin is that if you take yourself too seriously when it comes to the source material people lose interest, and someone else will come around and make the idea their own, not only do it better but do it with a freedom from the constraints of past arcs. Zynder was hamstrung by the source material, whereas Homelander in the Boys is just eye lazering bitches in the face and it’s way more entertaining for everyone involved.

3 Likes

Some enjoyable posts there gents. I must go an watch those two Batman films very soon! Absolutely two films if they came on tv I just stop flicking and watch.

2 Likes

I don’t share the same sentimental feelings regarding batman, or any other superhero tbh, as some of you do in here. I remember Burtons movies fondly though, I’ve watched them countless of times and I’ve always been aware of the main story. I really looked forward to Batman Begins, but it didn’t meet my expectations. I have a hard time accepting so many diversions from the main story when a new director wants to “set their mark” on it. Next time it’s a new director and he isn’t true to the movie before him etc.

I saw Joker awhile ago. Good movie in its own, but there again it just diverts too much.

It’s funny you say that because Batman Begins is the best film ever made in the series imo, even better than The Dark Knight. Burton’s movies were decent but I find them incredibly underwhelming compared to the Nolan trilogy, but to each his own.

1 Like

Pure stylistically they are better, it’s 15 years apart tech wise. I would probably appreciate them more if I hadn’t seen the Burton movies so much.