Tennis

Since 2013 when Federer’s drop off and injuries really kicked in, Novak has won 14 of his 19 slams, soon to be 15 of 20.

Now I’m not saying it’s been a cake walk but trying to dismiss Federer’s wins, while not acknowledging Novak has had his prime in Federer’s downfall and his only real competition also having big injuries, then I don’t know what to tell you. Novak has had great runs and did dominate for almost 2 years but I will repeat what I said the first time, timing has helped him imo.

If Novak wins 30 I might consider changing my view :wink:

1 Like

Federer hasn’t really “dropped” off though until the past few years.

It’s been forced by Djokovic because he’s been so good, without him there Federer would have won more slams for sure.

Federer mopped up in a far inferior era, can’t be said for Djokovic.

1 Like

How did he not drop off if he couldn’t stay fit and win a slam for almost 5 years? He only made 3 finals between 2012-2017 compared to 10 between 2008-2012.

No doubt Novak and Rafa entering their prime affected Federer, of course it did, but to act like he didn’t have an obvious period struggling with injuries and form is surprising to me. I thought this was widely acknowledged and the Federer renaissance began in 2017.

Btw if you actually look at who they’ve played in the finals, I’d say it’s pretty equal at best. Novak won 5 titles against that garbage guy Murray for christ sake :wink:

Either way it’s clear you’re a big Novak fan which means we’ll never draw towards each other on this topic but that’s fine. I stick by what I said in the first post and it will take a lot for someone to match Federer in my eyes. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe I’m not but I can acknowledge all 3 of them for their greatness while believing Federer is the best, so I’m pretty comfortable in my stance whether others agree or not.

1 Like

He made three finals for a reason really and its because he didn’t have the tennis to beat Nadal and Djokovic among others.

Both Djokovic and Nadal have won more slams past 30 than him, both have had to deal with their own injuries. In my view using that is just an excuse

I’d say Federer had a great year in 2014 and improved his game but just couldn’t get the better of Djokovic, also he won two slams in 2017 so how is age a huge barrier?

Murray garbage? Three slams, double Olympic gold and numerous singles titles? Is Del Potro garbage? Warwrinka? Murray wipes the floor with most of the guys Federer beating to win his slams back in the day.

Anyhow agree to disagree.

2 Likes

I like all 3 of the champs, I’m just going with Djoker because if you look at the cold hard stats he’s pretty much going to be at the top of 80-90 % of them as I mentioned prior.

I always felt that peak Federer was better than peak Djokovic and also better than Nadal except on clay. Murray was outstanding but definitely 4th in that quartet but could’ve won 6-9 majors in a different era so still an amazingly good player.

I’m interested to go back through the head to head records with Novak before Federer started declining though to make a better judgement.

My conclusion pending that is that it’s a toss up between Fed and Novak on the best ever except on clay where Nadal is clearly the all time king. These 3 are unbelievably good and the best of all time.

Murray is very good but where comparing here more with a Becker, McEnroe and Connors in my book.

I’d put Sampras and Borg just below the 3 best and above Murray, Connors and co.

2 Likes

I think Federer at his peak in 2004-2008 period was probably the most dominant I’ve seen.

Thing is Djokovic looks likely to stay close enough to his peak level for a longer period of time.

1 Like

I don’t buy that Fed’s peak is better then either Djokovic or Nadal’s tbh

Nadal won the first three meetings at the Aussie Open against Federer, in fact he’s beaten him in three out of the four meetings they’ve had there and yet Federer is supposed to be the better hard court player.

Nadal beat Federer in 08 Wimbledon at his so called “peak” and then again at Australia in 09

When it comes to those two peak Federer doesn’t have the reciepts IMO, both Djokovic and Nadal are ahead

Yeah you do make valid points.

Maybe because aesthetically he made it look so good and easy, that 81-4 season in 05 I think it was springs to mind ? But I suppose even it that season Safin did beat him at the AO.

Fed’s game is sbulime I think Shapovalov is perhaps the closest of the players I’ve seen recently that may come close to it. Shapovalov has all the blockbuster shots, lovely one handed backhand, movement and his serve is excellent, 2nd serve needs improving though as does his shoddy ball toss.

One thing I’ll give Federer is that you have no hope of replicating when he does, if you try to model yourself on him it’s a non-starter, you will have far more success trying to copy the game of Djokovic or Nadal but again what sets them apart can’t quite be replicated either at least not to that level.

2 Likes

Tennis is shit anyway

You lot wanna watch darts :wink:

When does the darts start back up? Only watch it once a year, do wanna try and get into it more

Depends how into it you are. World Matchplay starts next Saturday. That’ll be on Sky Sports.

I think this is why a lot of people have Federer as their personal favoruite, his game was just unbelievable to watch at his peak.

The peak of Djokovic and Nadal in terms of ability to win is higher, and I think either of those at their peak would beat Federer. But I just don’t find either of them as enjoyable to follow.

Admittedly this is someone with little interest in the game now anyway haha

1 Like

Yeah, think I posted on here a while back something someone said on TV, that team Messi tend to like Federer, and team Ronaldo go for Nadal or Djokovic. Obviously that isn’t completely fool proof, and no doubt someone will say “well I prefer Messi and Djokovic” :sweat_smile: but think it’s a good way of looking at it anyway.

2 Likes

@Darkseid is instant evidence that the theory isn’t foolproof, but I do totally get that and have thought it myself :grin:

1 Like

Federer and Ronaldo over here :wink:

Apparently I’m wrong twice…

1 Like

Nobody does adversity better than Djok. Different levels with him.

3 Likes

Federer is definitely the most elegant and enjoyable to watch. Winning 20 slams playing the way he does is a magnificent achievement. The most aesthetically pleasing stroke play out of the 3 of them by a distance.

Nadal in his prime was equally enjoyable to watch but from an athletic point of view. He’d get to balls you wouldn’t believe and hit beautiful passing shots or winners down the line. I mean they all have that ability but Nadal made it look simple. Had that unreal ability of making his opponent play that one extra shot and force errors.

Djokovic has an unreal engine too, probably on par with Nadal in terms of forcing extra shots. But asides from his obvious generational ability, his willpower / mental strength puts him above both.

He’ll finish his career with probably 25+ slams. He’ll have all the records. Can’t deny the guy GOAT status from a statistical point of view.

But winning is winning. The toughest aspect to being an elite sportsman (particularly in an individual sport) is the game you play in your head. And Djokovic has taken that to unbelievable levels in his career. One of the most mentally tough athletes of any sport, ever.

I don’t want him to be my GOAT, but I just can’t logically take it away from him.

2 Likes

Djokovic clean through in straights, Shapovalov didn’t make it easy for him, he’s a future slam winner.
Will be a fan favourite in the years to come.

Berrettini will be a tough man to beat.

2 Likes