Tammy Abraham

1. Are there any good strikers that are 23 and younger that are better than Tammy Abraham? If there is, the list is short. Only Haaland and Isak spring to mind.

2. People wanted Edouard last year.

3. A transfer from Chelsea to Arsenal will eventually work out. The fact Abraham isn’t a geriatric is helpful.

4. Think of the resale value :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I feel physically sick at the idea of signing another Chelsea cast-off :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I can’t see Arteta being stupid enough to pay that much for an average striker like Abraham.
We don’t need any more Chelsea rejects.

If you look at the list of players we’ve sold to other top clubs, compared the players we’ve bought, it would seem that we never learn.

Players we’ve sold to top PL clubs:
Cole
RVP
Nasri
Adebayor
Clichy
Sagna
Toure
Chamberlain
Sanchez

Players we’ve bought from top PL clubs:
Willian
Luiz
Mkhitayran
Sylvestre
Gallas
Diarra
Cech
Welbeck

It just proves how inept we are in the transfer market compared to the other big clubs who regularly have us over.

1 Like

Tbf Gallas and Diarra were very good players at the time. Was really disappointed when dolphin boy Lassana was sold off.

Ultimately, Tammy isn’t good enough to be first choice for where we want to be. I don’t think he’s a bad player though.

At some point soon, we’re going to have to think about buying / promoting a new first choice striker. However, there’s enough that needs to be done this window already without spending ages on this position.

3 Likes

Toure - past his prime
Chamberlain - shit
Sagna - 31 and past his prime
Clichy - we were all desperate to replace him
Adebayor - 1 season wonder for Arsenal
Sanchez - was clearly on the slide when we got rid of him (although nobody could have predicted how bad he’d be)
Cole - we got Gallas in exchange who was a superb player

RVP and Nasri were the only two players we got rid of that we did bad business on. The rest we either got well rewarded or got rid of them at the right time.

Luiz - so much better than people give him credit for and we were forced into the signing by Koscielny being a cunt
Mkhitaryan - not going to defend this one but we got a body in to replace Sanchez with he just had a shit mentality
Gallas - superb player, one of the best defenders in the PL and versatile
Diarra - excellent acquisition he just came at a time that Flamini had a breakout season
Welbeck - good utility player who was highly regarded by Ferguson, Capello and Wenger for his work rate. Good signing, bad injury record.

Cech was shit, Willian has been shit and Sylvestre has been a disaster.

In other words - I don’t think our business between clubs has been as bad as your post makes it out to be

5 Likes

Filling the striker position is something that requires forward planning more so than any other position. There is such a lack of top strikers that once a top team has one they tend to just stay there.

You can’t just enter a transfer window and go right let’s take a look at the top level strikers and get one (which is possible for pretty much every other position). Just look at the striker transfers for the past 5-10 years dry as fuck.

Let’s say next year lacazette leaves and Auba has another absolute stinker this year. There’s a good chance that you might not even be able to get an upgrade on a really poor Auba.

Abraham is young and shown he has the minerals to do well in the league 15 PL goals in 2020 (more than lacazette ever has).

I think if you can do this for 35mill it would be fairly smart business in all honesty. Someone like abraham absolutely has decent resale value to a palace or West Ham etc.

5 Likes

Absolutely.

Fewer top strikers and when they do peak they tend to do so much later than any other position.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t sign Abraham

From what I’ve seen he needs to add much more to his game, there’s a reason why he barely gets any game time at Chelsea and didn’t get a chance to stake his claim as #1.

1 Like

Yep I’m all over Abraham if he’s available for a £35-40m price tag. He’s better than Lacazette and offers an alternative to Auba and actually has potential to grow.

I’ve long been a fan of Abraham.

1 Like

Funny you say that because he doesn’t even seem better than Giroud when he played for us

He’s lacking in key areas.

The players that left us all went on to win PL titles, and some of them CL trophies, but the players we bought from then didn’t really make much difference to us.

The other big mistake we made was paying world class wages to these players who clearly didn’t like taking a step down and were giving back mediocre performances.

Having bought Chelsea rejects and seeing how poor they have been, I would have thought someone at the club would have learned an expensive lesson.

Big clubs sell their players because they don’t want them anymore and they see us as the perfect dumping ground for all their players that are surplus to requirements.

Buying Abraham for 40m would be yet another mistake for a player we don’t even need.

I like him and think he’s got the striker fundamentals down well. I think a lot of his lack of game time stems from people like Tuchel and Lampard wanting something different in a striker. The whole dropping deep, creating space with movement, bringing others into play with neat touches and stuff. Whereas Abraham is a pure goal scorer. I think there is a place for him at Arsenal and £35m isn’t a bad figure, if he doesn’t do well shifting him won’t be hard due to him being English and young.

He’s only scored many goals in the championship though.

In the PL he went off the boil, he isn’t great in air or holding the ball up, doesn’t link up well either. West Ham or a club like that sure but us? I wouldn’t be on it.

Will be interested to see what he does do when he moves though.

For anyone getting ahead of themselves, Fabrizio clarified we’re not in advanced talks with him.
He’s a player we’re monitoring. We’re probably monitoring another 10 players in that position, which is expected with Laca and Auba being over 30.

Can’t see us signing a striker this window. Will be a priority next summer.

2 Likes

Is that though why the rumour is a loan with an obligation to buy? I do agree that no striker likely is coming in as long as Laca stays, but he only has one year left on his contract, and the situation with that is still unclear if the club is trying to cash in. A season from now Auba’s career will be winding down also, so I think there is room for more than Balogun (and Martinelli) in planning ahead.

If Arsenal can shift Nketiah and Lacazette, then Abraham becomes an option.

It sounds relatively straight forward lol.

4 Likes

Then Arteta is definitely not the answer. He’ll make him do the dishes between counter attacks.

1 Like

It says we prefer a loan move but Chelsea want 40m.
Tbf, if we can get him on loan with an option(not obligation) to buy at 40m that would be good business.

1 Like

In a period where good strikers are not in abundance, I would take Tammy.
He is a quality player and only 23.

4 Likes

People keep saying this but how true is it?

How do people measure the amount of good strikers? Purely by transfer deals?