Takehiro Tomiyasu (18)

https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley/status/1676233317488754692?t=SRVensE0E-bqtKc3Nr16VQ&s=19

1 Like

Definitely much better than Iā€™d been expecting. Think heā€™ll be a casualty of the forward steps that weā€™ve taken as a team. Good Europa level player but not sure if heā€™s Champions League level

Think heā€™ll get minutes closing out wins, putting the likes of Mo Salah in his pocket in the LB role.

Need a big, big season from him w/consistency to justify him staying at Arsenal tbh.

1 Like

Big chance for him to step up now and show heā€™s still an important member of the squad.

Edit: I think it gets a bit understated how essential he was early on with Zinchenko being out injured a lot of the time before the World Cup.

He was key in that run last October.

2 Likes

Hopefully heā€™ll manage to stay fit.

I think itā€™s easier for him to perform now as a CB in this formation, than as a full back earlier. Seems he lost a bit of pace/mobility after the injuries.
After the first injury in the first season it never seemed he was ablo to cover the ground with such ease and wasnā€™t able to support the attack as he did before the injuries.

I think itā€™s easier for him now when he can focus on defending more and doesnā€™t have to cover that much ground.

Maybe itā€™s just wishful thinking, but for me he already looks a bit more comfortable as a CB now then as a RB/LB last year.

Heā€™ll get plenty of playing time if he stays fit for sure. Itā€™s very important he can play as a RCB or as LCB with same ease and it seems heā€™s ahead of Kiwi atm as the first cover for our 3 starting CBs.

We need him go stay fit now, but ultimately I pray we just get luck with White, Saliba, Gabriel and Zinchenko at this point, Tomiyasu just isnā€™t anywhere near as gifted on the ball as Saliba, White, Zinchenko and Timber.

Tomi is a pure defensive player

Yeah exactly and when youā€™re trying to compete with man city you generally need a little more than that.

All Man Cityā€™s defenders are so gifted with the ball and sound defensively.

to look at the bright side, having a defensive defenseman means we have less space at the back for the opponentsā€™ counter and got found out.

Tomi was class when he wasnā€™t on the injury list. If a cb gets injured he comes in at RB and white in the middle imo.

Need Zinky to stay fit so we still have options.

2 Likes

1 Like

Was that his first league start since the surgery? Decent performance I thought, undone by a bullshit decision from Coont. Even the first booking incredibly harsh as like shamrock pointed out he had a lack of options when he got thrown the ball.

3 Likes

Lucky Coont doesnā€™t ref my FIFA games, I take about 10 seconds on every single throw while waiting for the receiver to get free

Yeah, rough start imo but grew into the game. Sucks heā€™ll be suspended but I expect Zinchenko to start the next game anyway.

Solid performance today. Is it me or was he inverting from leftback?

1 Like

He was. Definitely doesnā€™t look uncomfortable adopting the tactics unlike Tierney.

I think by that point in the match, he was just permanently pushing up on the left wing. I wouldnā€™t say he was inverting like Zinny who kept popping up on the right-wing!

Dude was out there dictating like Hirohito.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s more of a right wing role though.

8 Likes