Takehiro Tomiyasu (18)

Given the club’s history with injuries, I have near zero patience for injury prone players now.

4 Likes

Ironic given your alias. But yeah, I’m done with perennially injured players.

1 Like

Rewatching City at home highlights and its funny people swore this guy was better than AWB.

I think he’s a cute guy but he’s EL level at best

1 Like

Is this some sort of online debate I missed?

2 Likes

AWB has been a donkey for years at United. It’s all well and good being able to be a good defender in one v one situations but there’s 0 else to his game and that’s why after a few years at United he’s always been someone United fans wanted to replace.

Tomi has been unlucky with injuries and ultimately needs to be moved on but both fully fit I’d rather Tomi in the squad. He can play across the back line and is a dependable defender and a reliable passer of the ball. AWB shits the bed when he has to make simple passes.

Tomi is unfortunately a victim of his own body and his recent showings often see him coming back into the squad after a long patch on the sidelines and that impacts his game.

But Tomi is a reliable all round defender when he’s fit

7 Likes

AWB isn’t good enough for a top team that much is obvious, Tomiyasu is the better all round player.

Issue with Tomiyasu is that he’s essentially always playing catch up fitness-wise now as well as not being a starter anymore so there isn’t any run of games to find his form for one reason or another

When he first arrived he showed exactly how much of a shut down defender he can be and has done it in big games, playing crap against City or a few other games doesn’t do anything to take away from that.

3 Likes

AWB has been one of the best defensive RB in the league, his form goes as the coaching does at United. He a consistent and reliable shut down RB particularly in 1 v 1 situations which is what really counts at the top level.

Even before the injuries I was NOT convinced by Tomi. His showings this year have confirmed scrub status in my eyes, White is playing the spot much better than Tomi ever did last season at both end of the pitch.

People really billed him as an elite defensive RB but its objectively true his performance has negatively affected the backline and cost us goals. The guy is a literal liability passing out of the defensive third now, which is the key element of his game which allegedly “elevates” him above AWB

I take AWB all day long tbh. His sample, while limited in the final third and passing build up, is much more consistent and reliable imo

I honestly think I’d take Cedric over Tomi at this point

AWB only excels when the game is in front of him in 1v1’s or he’s chasing back to make last ditch tackles.

His reading of the game as a whole though is very suspect, it’s why he could never play as a CB unlike Tomiyasu.

Can’t agree with your assessment at all.

Tomi would’ve been the first sub against Liverpool at Anfield. I reckon we win with him that day.

Its not actually been established Tomi is any good at CB for this level…

I dont recall any stellar CB performances from him.

Calling him an EL talent at best is fair imo

I don’t think it is fair especially when you’re gassing midtable AWB

He can’t play in a team that wants to play ball as he’s terrible with the ball at his feet and can be found wanting when he’s defending in a unit rather than squaring up 1v1, no progressive coach will fancy him

Palace is actually his level and United were finessed

AWB consistently ranks as one of the best defensive RB in the league, check the numbers. Its an elite defender that has the ability to shut down the league best wingers week after week. Even ya boy Madders can see it

Seems to be doing well under EtH, no?

Stats are misleading with AWB. He is an excellent one v one defender and always has been but it’s no use when you shit the bed in possession and generally look headless for much of the game.

Under ETH he’s benefited a bit from not being in the spotlight as much with rotation between him and Dalot.

But the fact ETH has favoured Dalot at stretches during this season should tell you everything you need to know about his inability to produce at this level in anything more than direct defensive duels.

He’s also a weak reader of play generally. Eyes on the ball, winger running directly at him he’s basically unstoppable. Ask him to read the game around him, make simple passes or contribute in the final third and he’s as dire as it gets.

Ridiculously good in one v one situations though. As good as it gets

2 Likes

You’re just confirming what we’ve already said lol, yes he is quality in his duels but there is more to defending than that.

Depends what you think good is because I can tell you for a fact he is not ten Hags cup of tea and is 2nd fiddle to Dalot who himself is an average player. ten Hag definitely wants to play a different brand of football than he’s currently able to.

AWB will be gone within a season or two especially if the club gets sold.

1 Like

I’m willing to accept AWB has flaws, what i don’t accept is the suggestion that Tomi has ever been a better RB

Do think we should be sniffing out potential suitors for this summer in the hope of recouping much of what we spent on him. He’s made of glass and can’t be relied upon over the course of a season. We’ve carried far too many like that over the years and need to be a bit more ruthless.

1 Like

Still 6 months away

Need a replacement

useless