Super Mik Arteta

Yes, 09/10 we were in the title race tbf.

Another stupid draw at Birmingham in March cost us. It didn’t end up being as close as 07/08 but we didn’t learn our lesson from that season

To be fair Graham took over a mid table team and won the league title within a few seasons spending almost no money.

In the same amount of time Arteta has outspent almost every other club in Europe to get fifth place.

Also the defence that Graham assembled went on to win the PL title for Wenger.

Arteta has done well so far this season but he’s hasn’t achieved a fraction of what Graham and Wenger have.

6 Likes

To be fair, it was a completely different era and not nearly as much money in football.
Arsenal were not mid-table when he took over either, the 3 seasons before we finished 6th, 7th & 7th (of 22 teams). In Graham’s first season Everton won the league and Man City were relegated.

1 Like

A couple of shit links later I just went ahead and tallied the games myself:

GG: 100 Played 49 Wins 26 Draws 25 Losses

MA: 100 Played 52 Wins 17 Draws 31 Losses

1 Like

So 3 more wins vs 9 more draws?

FFS how am I meant to know who’s best from that?

2 Likes

173 points each lol. Equals.

3 Likes

GG: 147 + 26= 173

MA: 156 + 17= 173

1 Like

This can only be decided by one factor…

xG

11 Likes

Wasn’t it 2 points for a win back then?

Arteta may win this

1 Like

It’s true there wasn’t as much money but Graham was notorious for his lack of spending and the team that won the title at Liverpool were either home grown or bought on the cheap.

He bought Winterburn from Wimbledon, Dixon and Bould from Stoke and both Groves and Allinson from Colchester.

All those players combined cost around 1m which by any standard is cheap.

1 Like

Had the same thought, but that was changed from 2 to 3 points in 1981.

1 Like

IMO wait till Arteta win some league titles then compare him to Graham and Wenger.

Not sure if CL could put himself on top of Wenger’s invincible season, I think it depends on what kind of squad we have.

1 Like

I shall no doubt be singing the super Mik Arteta song again when I’m next at the Emirates on Saturday

Got tickets for the Everton game too.

Just hope we win all these games.

1 Like

Gotta praise him when he’s doing a job. Team is clicking, astute signings, some sexy football being played.

He needs to capitalize now. No complacency, more signings to solidify what we’ve got going.

9 Likes

It’s a very positive start and very positive squad building.

If we don’t at least qualify for Champions League this season it’ll be a huge disappointment.

5 Likes

This team can win Europa. Go for it.

This is a weird spelling for PL

weird spelling for quadrapule

3 Likes

Weird spelling of quadruple.

9 Likes

That doesn’t include Emirates cup