Super Mik Arteta

Overall, with the new RB also, things don’t look too bad with the signings over the summer window even if the clearout wasn’t great. I’m optimistic in general about the future of Arsenal, with or without Arteta.

1 Like

My optimism moving forward really depends on who we sign to replace Laca. I think alot hinges on obtaining a 15+ league goal striker

4 Likes

Who would you want?

Honestly, I have no clue.

There aren’t really any sure bets names out there that would be willing to come here.

Alot of people are linking us to En-Nesyri, which I wouldn’t hate.

Is Ivan Toney someone who could play at our level? Not 100% sure

2 Likes

You’d like to imagine we could get one more year out of Auba so it’s not vital to get it right next summer but it was sure as hell help. I wouldn’t mind Toney actually I really like him, Isak is another one that would excite.

Or maybe just let the Qatari’s take us over and buy Haaland.

5 Likes

Isak is another I forgot, had a very impressive sample last season.

It actually a bit funny because he’s a Auba archetype

3 Likes

That’s why I wanted us to sign Abraham, well not for 30m.
He would have easily been the second choice 15+ goal striker.

2 Likes

Yes I think Abraham would’ve been attainable for us and good value at that price.

Feels like Auba has declined to a 15 league goal a season striker and Lacashitter a 10-13 a season guy.

Never touching top 4 with a front line of those two and Eddie and bolloxgun as back ups.

Hard to say if they’d be much better with a different manager than the walking dead Arteta.

1 Like

I’d have liked him too but it’s nearly better we didn’t sign him the moaning would have been intolerable.

2 Likes

No. :clap: More. :clap: Chelsea. :clap: Signings.

Need at least a five year ban on buying players from them.

3 Likes

This is how I would rate our most recent ex-chelsea signings for their time at Arsenal.

Czech: 5/10
Luiz: 6.5/10
Willian: 0/10

That’s a 38% overall rating.

4 Likes

Think you are being generous.

4 Likes

Cech was John Terry’s 15 points a season con trick. He was a 1 out of 10 signing as bad as the Willian one.

Abrahmovic must laugh his socks off when he sees us taking these shitters.

Think Abraham could’ve been a good signing though and Luiz mostly did a good job in our hopeless defence barring a mega fuck up or three every season.

1 Like

Maybe this is recency bias (or the opposite, whatever that is) but I don’t get the level of hate Cech gets on here.

I don’t think he was great, but think he was mediocre, fine, okay. He made some errors, but so has Luiz.

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Cech had so much more expectation and hype for what he might bring with his experience, while with Luiz everyone was aware he was questionable at times and had little expectation for him walking into our existing mess. But really, they’re the same deal - washed up Chelsea players seeing our their final few years before retirement, for moderate fees and above average wages.

So I don’t think you can really say Luiz was a better CB for us than Cech was GK and neither is anywhere near the ballpark of Willian.

4 Likes

Spot on mate.

You’re right.
Chelsea sell players to us for a reason and its because the players they’re selling are no good.

We’re the only top, and I use that term loosely, club that regularly sell our best, or at least decent, players to rival PL clubs.
Cole
Nasri
Adebayor
Clichy
Sagna
Toure
RVP
Chamberlain
Giroud
Martinez
and others, that go on to win trophies with our rivals.

Compare that to the dross we’ve bought from top rival clubs like:
Silvestre
Welbeck
Cech
Luiz
Willian

We’re the laughing stock of the PL, when it comes to buying and selling players to rivals.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t personally highlight Clichy or Toure as being big losses, particularly Toure who it looks like we sold at just the right time really, as he never reproduced his Invincible era levels elsewhere (I think after a bout of malaria, not sure if relevant). We sold Giroud in order to buy Aubameyang, I’d say that transfer sequence was actually us upgrading and showing a bit of ambition. Even if it would have been good to keep him as back up in retrospect, it wasn’t an option given we played one up front and had Auba and a recently signed Laca. Had we kept Giroud and not bought Auba we all would have been furious. We got the better side of the Chamberlain deal, Liverpool didn’t have our pants down there. I don’t think that at the time us selling Martinez was us selling to a rival. Sagna went to City on a free transfer, so probably can’t be counted as an example of us selling a rival a player.

1 Like

Clichy?
Sagna?
Chamberlain ?
Giroud?
Toure?

You’re just listing names for names sake there mate lol

7 Likes

And Adebayor, I remember many Arsenal fans thinking we’d pulled off great business there.

It’s not really rocket science that many of the rest left us to join better teams, that’s just the natural order of things.

These are all players that have gone on to win either the PL title tor CL, or both, for rival clubs so were players that strengthened them.

I can’t remember any players from a top rival club that has done the same for us apart from possibly Benayoun, on loan.

2 Likes