Super Mik Arteta

The logic well at least mine was I’d rather untried over established proven average managers and I still stand by that to be honest.

What this club should be doing though as I’ll admit it isn’t working out with Arteta obviously is getting proven top quality to manage us as that’s what we obviously need.

What I will also add though is I don’t think a quality manager will fix everything, we are absolutely horrid in the transfer market and this clubs culture and mentality at the moment is absolutely dire.

To truly change the dynamic I think we need new ownership a fresh start and this club be stripped from top to bottom.

1 Like

No that’s not right either. People wanted Arteta fact. Im not buying this.

So.

4 Likes

Solksjaer and Arteta are the only ones I can remember?

People had doubts over Ancelotti and Mourinho. Those doubts seemed fair in my book.

Doesn’t prove your point. Being happy about a managerial appointment doesn’t mean that they wouldn’t have taken the likes of Poch or Allegri.

2 Likes

None

Senior management bought into a self created fantasy with his appointment. In their minds appointing Arteta is logical in light of his Arsenal connection and role as a Guardiola assistant who speaks well about football, that’s it.

They thought they were getting a head start on securing the next Pep so he can be the next Wenger for Arsenal.

It’s a deluded and completely flawed thought process, based on redundant ideals. It’s the reason why a manager with the personality we need will never be sounded out for the role.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ll concede I wanted Arteta over those 2 and it’s proving to be a very wrong opinion.

From memory I said I wanted Poch, Nagelsmann or Tuchel over Arteta if possible.

1 Like

Doubts is fair but taking a crap shoot was ridiculous for a big club.
I said at the time and will stick by it, this not working out makes the club look dumb. It damages the club going forward if we end up sacking him and keep the same boardroom and policys in tact.

1 Like

What other top club would have chosen Arteta over Pochettino, Allegri, Ancelotti, Rodgers, Mourinho, etc?

Only us, and that’s why we’re sitting in the bottom half of the PL looking up at clubs who are run by ambitious owners and who go for the best available, rather than someone with no experience or managerial qualifications.

Exactly.
Also, you forgot his most important attribute.
He was cheaper than a proper manager.

4 Likes

Yeah similar to my list. But apparently lots of people wanted Arteta over all these established managers :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

The people who appointed Arteta are gone, or were involved with the process, Gazidis was the ‘leader’ in 2018 and past december it was Sanllehi. Both are not at Arsenal anymore. I don’t believe Vinai was as involved with the football side of things.

It will be interesting to see what choice Vinai and Edu make this time around, indeed.

Ryan Giggs.
Roland Nilsson
Gary McAllister
Attila Lombardi
Kenny Dalglish
Glenn Hoddle
Gianluca Vialli
Gordon Strachan
Stuart Pearce

1 Like

Exactly.
There was nobody asking for his service and in fact, he was still Pep’s assistant when we were allowed to approach him (correct me if I am wrong).
Flat out simple… we wanted him because he was an ex-Arsenal player and he was a cheap option. That’s it. He wasn’t on anybody’s radar EXCEPT us.

4 Likes

Vinai was at Arteta house!? That implies complicity in decision making

4 Likes

What top/big jobs did Nilsson, McAllister, Hoddle, Strachan and Pearce get?

You can make a list like that for Barcelona too. Vilanova, Guardiola, Enrique, Koeman…

I’m still very optimistic about Arteta

Emery won 3 ELs. Arteta won… nothing.

Let’s choose Arteta :ozil:

1 Like

As I wrote: at the appointment. Not who they really would have wanted instead. That’s another matter.

3 Likes

Roy of the Rovers too.

1 Like