Super Mik Arteta

This sums up alot of the current frustration.

Going nearly 8 hours without a goal from open play is enough to send any football fan in the country around the bend, let alone a fanbase who were previously used to being one of the best attacking sides in the country.

It’s even worse when most of us are sitting through every minute of those matches, I sympathise with every fan who has done it, it would explain the emotional angst against Arteta, who I think needs some more time to turn it around.

What gives me a glimmer of hope going forward is that he has shown that he can tweak certain things with player positioning and formation even if it doesn’t pay off right away, and he acknowledges the attacking crisis.

Our current form is trending for a lower half finish and I can’t see it staying that way all season, something will be turned around.

But when I took a break from Arsenal in the international break I felt so much lighter, like a burden lifted when I focused on other hobbies. Might return to that for a bit.

7 Likes

I’m fine with him going nowhere as it means he would likely have turned our form around.

The pressure will be immense if we are at risk of missing out on Europe again or even finish bottom half. The aim is to keep making forward progress, no matter how small.

The club appointed a novice with a learning curve and accepted the opportunity cost of not hiring someone with more experience, but intangible potential for a long term strategy.

An accumulation of errors in recruitment, long term planning and complacency (starting from Wenger’s latter years) got us into this position. Arteta jumped into the dumpster fire of a club and will suffer his own burns before he can come out at the other side.

2 Likes

Try not to disappear for too long, whether I agree with each post or not, you really do bring some much needed positivity to the forum!

5 Likes

It’s why I’m not so active on the forum at the moment. It’s not that I don’t love my team, it’s that it’s so draining to constantly know we’re having to see another season as a write off with no prospect of any real success.

The fact that I miss even later year Wenger is testament to how bad we are at the moment. Later years Arsene was poor, but at least we had coherence in our attacking play. Now we’re just flat out shit.

8 Likes

I don’t think the current situation more generally helps either. Being stuck indoors all day and the watching a shit game with no fans in the stadium is just so tiring.

6 Likes

Am I the only one who are seeing similarities between what happened under Emery and now?

Great results since the end of August until the Boxing Day. After that Arsenal continued to win games but lost key matches. The team crashed during the end of the season after the 1-0 win in Napoli. The season after has been horrible and Emery has been sacked.

Same pattern under Arteta. Arsenal have played well, won important games, won two trophies with two top performances but this season? Same vibes of last season.

Even the numbers are similar if not worst.

15 points, 13 goals scored, 11 conceded last season under Emery.

13 points, 9 goals scored, 10 conceded this season.

Emery left the team after the draw against Soton [13th game of the league] with 18 points, 18 goals scored and 19 conceded.

Arteta has four games to do a better job: Wolves home, NLD away, Burnley at home and… do you know what is the latest game? Soton at The Emirats, as last season.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s all a bit false and football isn’t the anti dote a lot thought it would be.
It helps as a distraction but there’s a discord from the game as was before and what is now. Be interesting how things workout after the vaccine.

1 Like

Is Mikel Arteta instructing Bellerin to play in a certain way? He didn’t make a single pass to Pepe last night. If a winger and fullback don’t combine, what’s the point of playing them?? The structure of the team looks so wrong. He made only 1 pass to Reiss Nelson as well.

Bring in Rafa Benitez and save the season :pleading_face: :pleading_face: :pleading_face:

3 Likes

This is proper Emery levels of soul-crushing depression I’m feeling today.

The weird thing is that we’ve won a FA Cup and ended that horrible big 6 away record, but the way we’re playing is so poor. Horrible losses at home against opposition we should be looking to dominate.

We don’t create chances. The creative aspect of this team is literally bottom 6 level. There’s no inspiration at all. We look so rigid in our build-up, and the players look so timid. No bravery on the ball, nobody making runs or offering options. It’s terrorist levels of shitness.

14 Likes

I think that apart from the lack of points, the lack of goals, the lack of attacking football, as well as being boring to watch and looking like a relegation team, while having to watch spurs at the top of the PL it’s the fact we could have got a proper manager, like they did, which is more annoying.

We buy a new stadium and go into austerity for more than a decade, selling all our best players without replacing them properly, then choose Emery and Arteta from the bargain bin.

Then we watch spurs get a new stadium, that cost more than double what we paid, then keep their best players and replace Pochettino with an elite manager and sit at the top of the PL, while we’re doing our best to keep out of the relegation places.

Anyone thinking we can’t finish in the bottom half of the PL, we certainly can.
We look clueless with Arteta and he is fully backed by a board.

We are playing the worst football I’ve seen as a supporter and we have been lucky in a few games this season to get points, like against West Ham and Leeds so we should be lower in the league than we already are.

Arteta could easily drag us into the relegation places and my prediction of a mid table finish is looking unlikely.

3 Likes

I don’t think Emery was from the “bargain bin”. He’s a perfect example of a “big name” who isn’t close to being as good as his CV would suggest that he is.

7 Likes

Maybe not bargain bin, more fake big name brand.
Arteta is definitely bargain bin.
Not fit for purpose and disposable.

4 Likes

I remember we were highly skeptical of appointing a manager with no experience and it’s unfortunately showing.

Still maybe he turns it around. I hope so for him and mostly for The Arsenal. But I won’t hold my breath after the last months and the way we play. :pensive:

4 Likes

After the last month? The football’s been the same since he arrived. Could argue that it’s maybe even slightly worse now, than what it was during the first month or so.

It shouldn’t take long for a new manager to make a positive impact. Pearson, Moyes, Ancelotti and Mourinho, who were all hired around the same time, all managed to improve their teams’ results and performances.

5 Likes

Months

Those are some names mate. With some serious credentials.

Meanwhile we have got Arteta. No experience.

Imagine a top corporation appointing a boss with no experience.

The state of this club. :ozil:

Arsenal is like Scrooge McDuck. Penny pinching instead of paying top dollar for a top coach.

1 Like

Well a lot of people were pissing themselves with excitement over this appointment. Talking about how good of a manager he will be. I say again: On what merits does a guy with zero manager experience even get considered for the position?

Only in England ex players frequently get top managerial jobs at their former clubs. Ship him of to Shrewsbury or somewhere to learn the trade ffs.

5 Likes

Who are these “a lot of people” who said they knew how good of a manager he will be?

I remember people wanting him over Emery. But it wasn’t because they thought he’d be a great manager (none of us obviously knew), it was because his name wasn’t Emery.

1 Like

No but the fact was people wanted him over established managers available. That will always bemuse some of us.

3 Likes

But those other experienced managers never seemed to be considered by Arsenal…we had the choice: Emery or Arteta.

1 Like

Which people? Again, most people who were pro Arteta wanted him over Emery. They didn’t want him over most other established managers (except maybe AC). I had a list of managers I’d rather have had than Arteta.

1 Like