Steve Bould

Bouldy was a brilliant player. A real hard tackling defender who could play a bit too .
Himself and Adams were a force to be reckoned with . Not only a great player but a great loyal player .

2 Likes

Bould and Adams were a great CB partnership under Graham who were both top level CB’s and great leaders as well.
I saw him in his debut season and although he wasn’t spectacular, he was a solid defender in a rock solid defence.
He was brought in to replace O’Leary and fitted in straight away.

Both him and Dixon came from Stoke for a few hundred thousand so along with Winterburn and Adams we had one of the best defensive units in Europe for around 1m, which went on to win titles for Graham and Wenger.

2 Likes

Was Bould considered better than Keown? Was Keown back up to Adams and Bould rather than a threat to either of their starting berths?

Now that is a good question :+1:t2:
Keown had venom running through his veins he was possibly more aggressive than Bouldy . Bouldy went about his business quietly but you knew he was about.
All three were brilliant defenders.
You would have a job to separate Bould and Keown , I would put Keown about 10% ahead of Bouldy purely because of Keowns aggression but Bouldy had a far better chant .

1 Like

We had Keown when he was younger but he was sold to Aston Villa and then went to Everton before he came back.
I’m not sure why Graham sold him but we did have several CB’s and he might have not been experienced enough to get in the first team.

I think he was slightly better than Bould but not by much.

2 Likes

Bouldy although a solid CB was understated a bit for me as his bigger attribute as a defender was his reading of the game.
A lot of his positioning came form this. Played a lot in midfield as in 89 because of this but wasn’t quite good enough for me in there.

@JakeyBoy for me no. Peak Keown is the better player for me. Edging that for me on his bigger personality and intimidating presence.
Yeah to both your questions.

5 Likes
1 Like

Remember this being shown live on ITV.

Steve Bould has left, not really overly fussed on this. Good move for him maybe, broadens his horizons instead of becoming stagnant here.

2 Likes

I thought he already left?

1 Like

Looks like you’d be correct, how the fuck did I miss that :rofl::person_facepalming:

Nah, I think the wording of Stuart is confusing as shit. Blame him. He does make it sound like he just departed the club.

New assistant, with Arsenal connections, for Bould

https://twitter.com/EnglishAbroad1/status/1742548332298265029?t=SI1p0b9dxc2Hw3uqdZmYBA&s=19