Squad Management

Don’t make me dream!

Tbh, if we land everyone else except Raphinha I’ll still be pleased. Just glad to see the club being so ambitious.

This would be pretty sick:

Strikers: Jesus, Nketiah
Wingers: Saka, Raphinha, Martinelli, ESR
8 midfielders: Odegaard, Tielemans, Vieira, Patino
6 midfielders: Partey, Lokonga, Elneny
Left sided defenders: Gabriel, Martinez, Tierney
Right sided defenders: White, Saliba, Tomiyasu
Keepers: Ramsdale, Turner

Break glass only in case of extreme emergency: Cedric, Holding
Gone baby gone: Xhaka, Pepe, Nuno, Torreira, Bellerin, Mari

6 Likes

Yeah if that all happened it would be pretty good.

Some talent that we’d need to continue to improve but with nearly all players 26> the scope would be there.

2 Likes

Just clocked that with the rumoured outgoings even if we landed all targets we may actually end up below the ideal squad size Arteta defined of 3 goalies and 22 outfield players.

GKs:

1. Ramsdale
  2. Hein
  3. Turner

Defenders:

1. Cedric
  2. Tomiyasu
  3. White
  4. Holding
  5. Saliba
  6. Gabriel
  7. Lisandro
  8. Tierney

Midfielders:

1. Lokonga
  2. Partey
  3. Elneny
  4. Odegaard
  5. Vieira
  6. Tielemans
  7. ESR
  8. Saka

Forwards:

1. Raphinha
  2. Martinelli
  3. Eddie
  4. Jesus

Perhaps some players may be kept like Nelson and Maitland-Niles or we could fill those positions with youngsters.
If the latter is the idea I wouldn’t mind. Quality over quantity.
We’ve had times where we had squads of 25+ senior players but less than 15 players were actually serviceable. Give me a squad of ~20 serviceable and fill the rest of the spots with youngsters.

3 Likes

Looks good, a top 4 squad.
Top 4 next season is a must.

1 Like

Not signing competition for Partey in the 6 position and relying on Cedric when Tomiyasu goes down again will bite us in the arse. Really hope the club recognise this after their top priorities are settled.

Lisandro (although still need to land him) gives me great hope they will try their best to cover the LB slot and considering if we go to a back 3 we have Tavares tailor made for LWB also.

1 Like

with the players it looks like we’re signing this would be my team

Ramsdale
Tomiyasu-White-Gabriel-Tierney
Odegaard-Partey-ESR
Raphina-Jesus-Saka

Saliba could make his way to first choice this season, our bench would be strong as well with the other new signings like Vieira and Martinez, then also Eddie, Turner and Martinelli

ESR did nothing to warrant a starting position, and I don’t think we will sign both Raphina and Jesus since we already signed Vieira.

4 Likes

I think we could very well sign both Jesus and Raphinha, both improve the squad and play in different position to Vieira and it looks like Arteta is looking to have two “competent” players in each position

2 Likes

I hope you’re wrong, because a summer of signing Jesus and Raphinha is something you wouldn’t expect from this club, it would be a step in the right direction and more ambitious than we’re used to.

I don’t see how we wouldn’t sign both. Raphinha wouldn’t play CF, so we definitely aren’t chasing him to play there, and we need a signing to play CF because we only have 1 right now.

Raphinha to me is clearly the Pepe replacement and a smart upgrade. We need a first team capable player in that role in the squad.

3 Likes

I can see the argument for Vieira and Raphinha. What does Jesus have to do with this though?

My hypothesis is that we are either trying to win europa or finish in the top 4 with the people we want to buy.

Which is exactly what we should be looking to do right? Any talk of going beyond that is ridiculous right now until we reach that rung of the ladder.

If we buy all the rumoured names, I do take back my comment about CL being too much for us next season.

We pretty much have two competitive XI with all of those players. No excuses.

Let’s be honest that was an awful fucking take at the time haha

If we get all the players we’ve been linked with, we won’t be trying to get top four, it’ll be guaranteed. :grinning:

2 Likes

If we get all the players we are rumored to be after, we become the 3rd best team in the league.

1 Like

Shut up, I got likes. Clearly someone agreed.
Although, BigWeng’s shitty takes also get quite the reaction so…