Squad Management

Look at us being carried by kids. :sob:
The previous core was so rotten. Wenger, Gazidis and co. hvae blood on their hands.

Not sure where it would rank against others but a forward line consisting of Jesus, Martinelli, Ode and Saka is very good.

1 Like

Yeah, the load needs to be shared. All of Saka, Odegaard, ESR and Martinelli should set target for 15 goals each next season. Add to that the strikers(Jesus and Eddie?) and then we may be cooking something.

Odegaard doesn’t strike me as the sort of player that’ll ever net 15 goals in a season.

3 Likes

Sure, that’s what he should strive for though. Set big targets, always.
Rule of Ronaldo. :sweat_smile:

So;

The almost certain incomings: Vieira, Tielemans and Jesus

Would leave us like this:

Ramsdale, Tomi, White, Gabriel, Tierney, Partey, Tielemans, Odegaard, Saka, Vieira, Jesus

How do we feel about that lineup?

Outgoings: Pepe, Bellerin, Lacazette

We solidified our starting 11 and it is top 4 material… but I would look at 3 more things, other than coaching/managing…

1/ our rotation/backups.
Seems like our squad is still kind of thin.

2/ as I posted on Vieira’s thread, we have a lot of passers but not enough finisher.
Not sure Jesus will really come or not, Saka/Martinelli/ESR are not reliable scorers; and Ode is pretty much shit in terms of scoring.

3/ consistency…

2 Likes

Interesting line up, very technical side. Looks alot like Man City lite.

The forward line can hold its own but it is on the smaller side height wise and lacking in real physicality. Someone like Scamacca, Osimhen or Mitrovic as the focal could be a gamechanger.

Not sure I have high confidence in goals from LW. Again I’m worried about the defensive transitions generally

3 Likes

I know it’s unlikely but if we could get Zinchenko as a more reliable alternative to Tierney and Osimhen rather than Jesus then that would be a great window.

It does mean we would have to sell Xhaka, Pepe, Torreira, Guendouzi, Bellerin, Nelson, Tavares, Lokonga, or at least get them off the wage bill.

Is anyone worried about defensive balance in the side ? That lineup @SRCJJ posted is very offensive minded, Partey / Tielemans pivot could be suspect at times. But offensively it looks good, ball carriers and technical players everywhere.

1 Like

If Partey and Tielemans are disciplined enough to stay in front of the two CBs when needed, I do not worry about the defense. Ours are solid. Not spectacular but solid enough.

I don’t think the idea with Tielemans is to use him in a pivot with Partey. It’ll be a 4-3-3 with Partey single pivot like the one we used before Partey got injured.

1 Like

A team capable of 72+ points and a GD of at least 30, and completely capable of making the EL semi finals at minimum. If Assteta can accomplish all that I’ll be firmly Assteta in.

3 Likes

:confused::speak_no_evil:

1 Like

Looking forward to your change of stance, BigWeng.
You are Arteta in, or your are in Arteta, FIRMLY??? :ozil: :ozil: :ozil:

Top 4 is pretty much on the line and we will have a good fight with Spuds, United, West Ham and Leicester; but your requirement of 72 points, 30+ GD and EL Semi are pretty much doable.

1 Like

I think it’ll be:

Martinelli (ESR) - Jesus (Nketiah) - Saka (Vieira)
Tielemans (Xhaka) -Odegaard (Vieira)
Partey (Lokonga, Elneny)
Tierney (Nuno) - Gabriel (Saliba) - White (Holding) - Tomi (Cedric)
Ramsdale (Turner)

Not a bad squad, still worried about LB cover though. And I think if we’re adding a more creative and smaller attacker like Vieira to effectively take Pepe’s role in the team, there is an argument for a main striker target that is more of a goal scorer.

Osimhen seems like a pipe dream but replace Jesus with him and that attack if fearsome.

2 Likes

It’s great but we still don’t know where the goals are gonna come from.
We will again have to be reliant on only team effort, rather than a combination of team & a goal scorer.

2 Likes

Agree. There’s room for scope in the window for that change to happen yet.
Need a bit more depth on the bench with the new rule yet but good so far.

1 Like

Sick lineup but relies on three players who are crocks.

Until quality back ups are in place for those guys, not just Tavares, Cedric, Lokonga and Elneny - we will suffer for it.

Turner as back up for Ramsdale is hard to call really. We have no idea what happens if Ramsdale goes down.

These transfers are far from done but hypothetically speaking Xhaka as back up for Tielemans works (yeah I know many will disagree). Nketiah covering Jesus works. ESR & Martinelli is pretty strong depth out wide as well even to cover Saka (since Vieira and Jesus can play out there too).

Saliba and Holding can cover just fine for the CB positions also.

Partey, Tierney and Tomiyasu on the other hand are currently backed up by completely inadequate players that have and still will cost us crucial games and points.

This is why not going after Bissouma to compete with Partey for a steal of fee for me was crazy. Competition is so important in that area and we could easily manage Partey’s fitness with a player like that.

Tierney should honestly be looked at as second choice material given how bad his layoffs are. Need a top left back talent or starter badly. Feel like we’re almost definitely gambling on 1/2 of CDM, LB or RB this season.

1 Like

I’ll do you one better @SRCJJ.

Starting Team:
Ramsdale
Tomiyasu-White-Gabriel-Martinez
Odegaard-Partey-Tielemans
Saka-Jesus-Raphinha

Bench:
Turner, Cedric, Saliba, Tierney, Lokonga, Vieira, ESR, Martinelli, Nketiah

:arteta2:

1 Like