Southampton v Arsenal (PL)

hmm… lots of noises about dropping Laca but I don’t see Arteta doing that.

Unfortunately also I think focusing on Laca takes some attention from the bigger issue, imo, which is finding the best solution to make up for absences of Tierney and Partey (my preference is Saka for LB/WB and Xhaka in CM).

I get there is anger with Laca over his performance against Palace, but it isn’t long back since we were talking about being happy enough with link ups and assists even if he doesn’t score. Granted he wasn’t even doing that against Palace, but that was one match where everything fell off, so I’m not sure that is enough to drop him, and go with whatever alternative, which is questionable in of itself. Against Palace, honestly, there were at least 4 players who were sub-par at the same time.

Again I go back to manager charisma, motivation, and rockets up arses when appropriate, which I think is what Laca needs the most, not benching.

0-3 Arsenal. Martinelli with a brace and Saka.

2 Likes

We’ve had managers go 9 years without trophies and keep the job around here.
Our standards have been set low since we arrived at the Emirates.

1 Like

You do remember that embarrassing performance against Liverpool were he was blowing out his arse for 90 minutes.

Context is ur friend. 9 years of negative net spend after gutting the team that made a CL final a year earlier. Or being a historically bad Arsenal team after having spent 500m since AW departed. These two arent the same. Doesn’t cost much to pay attention my dood :heart::heart::eggplant::eggplant:

Swansea, Wigan and Spurs won trophies in that time mate. No excuse.

1 Like

And Birmingham as I remember

3 Likes

Just no excuses really lol.

1 Like

Fuck sake lol

Arsenal made a CL quarterfinal (semi final too) with a whole bunch of young promsing players and only got jobbed by the refs. Also made the league cup final. Those types of things are coin flips. We stayed plenty relevant with guys like Bendtner, Walcott, Denilson, Flamini all playing major roles in our squad thanks to the negative net spend. Never been a better managing job done in the history of football managing…trophies or not.

1 Like

4 Likes

Why is it every single thread I go in people are arguing about Wenger can’t we stick to the designated thread for that please sick of reading it everywhere

3 Likes

True. It’s ultimately unhelpful.

I do want to say however, that there is truth in this last sentence:

…and we’re learning it now.

(Simeone probably runs Wenger close, comparatively speaking, but Cholo has been doing it for a shorter length of time)

1 Like

Klopp shits on both… look at that net spend and he has Liverpool winning the CL and EPL taking dumps on everyone.

1 Like

No

I like the faith shown here.

I personally don’t think it’d be that easy even if we do win, given they’re just coming off the back of a 0-6 reverse.

I’m willing to be pleasantly surprised, though!

1 Like

Yes. Limited net spend won the EPL and CL. You might not like it but they’re the facts.

Difference is that if Klopp got 150mil while managing Arsenal or Atletico for Coutinho, the club are probably reivensting those funds elsewhere rather than bolstering the squad.

You may not like that but they’re the facts.

Don’t blame him for contributing to selling assets correctly, when you’re a club with limited funds that’s what it’s all about :grinning:.

And Wenger and Simeone haven’t sold assets correctly?

The difference is they weren’t given as much back to reinvest.

To suggest that Klopp could have done a better job than Wenger here is purely speculative. It’s not fact, at all.

1 Like