Social Media Etiquette Discussion Thread

Though having said all that, I did fairly recently do a little bit of social media stalking. When I was at uni I had a very casual, mid-term relationship with one of my dad’s colleagues who was ten years my senior. With the age gap meaning she’s likely at a different stage of life to me, I was for once fairly curious about what an “ex” was up to these days, if she’d settled down now etc.

She’s seemingly happily married to a non high profile (is there any other kind) Lib Dem politician these days haha.

7 Likes

…what

1 Like

@Cristo devastated about the one that got away

6 Likes

My ex is (happily)married and lives in New York these days. I haven’t been in contact with her ever since she got hitched and moved to NY.
No moral grounds or anything. I just don’t feel it’s worth it to try be in touch with a ship that’s sailed, especially when it’s been a romantic one. Feel being friends with a past romance will ultimately become complicated one way or the other, at least for most people. Definitely not worth it for me.

3 Likes

My ex wife messages me on instagram every 4 or 5 months off of some ghost account pretending to be a stranger with a grudge against me lol. The idiot didn’t realise that it didn’t take much digging for me to find out it was her. But I still pretend I don’t know who it is to give her the satisfaction of thinking she really gets a one up on me lol.

11 Likes

I have Facebook now mostly so I can contact my aunts and cousins if I ever need to organise my parents funerals, and I log on about once a month to see if I’ve been invited to anything by anyone who I don’t want to actually call me.

In my experience Facebook has transcended “lets see what everyone’s up to” and it’s now mostly a place for people to air their various miseries. Maybe if you were best friends with someone and drifted apart it might be nice to keep in touch but I can’t say I’d want to have the bother of my ex’s current dramas popping up too.

7 Likes

Ahh that’s cringe. What does she say when she messages you and pretends to be a stranger?

I just don’t the purpose behind petty stuff like this. There’s only one loser in the end :man_shrugging:

She just sends me petty messages. Like she’ll message me and try to insult me, but because she’s so dense she’ll use the same insults and spell in the exact same way that only she can. So she’s unable to even successfully “troll” me and hide her identity lol.

But she’ll message me stuff - sometimes racial in nature and other times just downright petty. The most frequent thing she digs at is my height but she doesn’t seem to understand it’s never been an insecurity of mine so you can’t make me feel insecure about it lol.

But I guess what she never truly was able to accept is that, unlike her, I’m not riddled with insecurities so if you insult me I can just brush it off and have a good laugh. Most times I screenshot it and send it to my friends in the WhatsApp group and we have a good laugh.

One thing I’ll give her is that not before or since have I met a woman with a tongue as sharp as hers. Some of her insults have bordered on legendary.

What a woman. God bless her :joy:

10 Likes

I don’t even do this any more. I’ll get an email notification if someone messages me, and barring that, I wont even load up FB.

I’ve seen too many people, including close family members, fall into their own FB echo chamber. And now I avoid it like the plague.

6 Likes

Or the fact that she married you :joy: It’s not like you were 6 foot when you were together and aren’t any more.

Fair play for handling it so well, I’d be posting those screenshots to my mates as well for sure :joy:

5 Likes

@SRCJJ she’s obviously still hung up massively otherwise why do this lol

8 Likes

How long ago did it end with her?

I’m wondering who uses what social media here, how easy/hard they found it to go fully cold turkey etc? Because all of them just consume my life lately, especially Facebook. Still need to fucking delete my ex but it’s hard when she still means a lot to me (even though she deleted literally every “cute” post on my wall etc including this birthday one that was the sweetest fucking thing) that’s only natural.

But yeah, does anyone else find they can’t keep off them all, or have they intentionally got rid of them all or some and found an upturn in the quality of their life?

I deleted my Instagram for 6 months at one point because I found it to be a toxic environment at times. I’ll never join Twitter, got rid of my Facebook about 8-9 years ago.

I’m on and off with insta. I use it when I enjoy it and when I want an excuse to slide into someone’s DM lol. But I think deleting social media can be extremely healthy at times because it can be quite mentally texting as well.

My ex wife, I never bothered her after I asked for a divorce I just kept it moving and got on with my life. Funny, I had the best summer of my life (2018) after I got shot of her. It was glorious.

But if you find yourself going back onto an ex’s page, just come off the social media yourself because it means you’re probably not ready.

Nothing wrong with a little nose every now and then but it’s probably not a healthy nose about on your end.

6 Likes

I’m fully addicted to Instagram at this point, but only as a means of staying in touch with good friends and acquaintances and peeping hotties :eyes:

5 Likes

I deleted everything apart from Twitter and my Twitter is this user name and not me as I just wanna follow people of interest and thats it.

Fuck social media :wink:

1 Like

This is it, don’t have her on insta just fb and Snapchat (she readded me on both after everything, it’s been a complicated few weeks, seemed good again said she loved me so fucking much and wanted me then few days later no it’s over).

It’s a hard cycle to break, the thing that fucks me off most is Snapchat. She was in car with some random guy other night in knee high socks and heels and a dress, stupidly I reacted and saying you’re playing games again (which she admitted to on day of saying loves me etc) and then said what are you on about I never said that. Toxic as fuck.

So she got pissed at me for “watching her all the time” yet anything I post to Snapchat story without fail she’s first person to view it, day and night even when she’s working it’s every time.

Glad you got shot of her man sounds like you absolutely did the right thing, I’d love tour mental fortitude, it’s honestly inspiring.

I never really liked it because I was just never that popular on there unless I followed loads of girls and they follow me back but I find that really seedy in all honesty. Whereas my ex a Younger hot girl gets hundreds of likes etc, I hate to think I can’t compete with that but that’s how it is cos I’m an average guy, so I just don’t even bother.

1 Like

I logged off Twitter a while ago and don’t think i’ll ever get back to it, so I guess you can start with that, I used to check the app regularly, so whenever I felt the need to check it, I just couldn’t be bothered to enter my login/pwd and ended up doing what I had to do in the first place.

Keeping out of social media does a lot of good tbh.

2 Likes

Instagram with all the filters can be massively deceiving. I work with a girl who’s meh at best, probably wouldn’t even look at her twice, yet on insta she’s a 10/10 would bang. Can’t trust that shit.

6 Likes

You even see it on Love Island. You seem them on camera and quite of few of the men and women aren’t that hot, when they show snaps of their Instagram they look like absolute 10/10s

3 Likes

My ex didn’t use filters tbh but she was really photogenic if I’m honest, still really pretty, amazing body etc, but yeah tagged pics tell a diff story, but I totally agree with you in general it’s a pisstake. It’s a shame some people are that insecure. She kinda was but I did my absolute best to build her up.

There’s a subreddit instagramreality where it shows the massive difference some popular instagrammers clearly photoshop their photos hard and that then has a drastic effect on people looking up to these people who just can’t ever look like that. It’s so fucking unhealthy.