Sin bin “blue cards” to be introduced

Massively against it, game is over officiated as it is, this will just create more decisions to be made, with more controversy.

4 Likes

Don’t like the idea in the slightest.

Such cards, punishments, would have a HUGE effect on the dynamics of the game.
Everyone would be in hurry to exploint that 10 minute period while the opponent has that card, you’d have players/teams trying to provoke those cards… It would literally change the tactics and the approach to the game.

10 minutes may not sound like too much, for some, but it’s beyond naive to think like that. 10 minutes is more than enough to decide or turn a game on it’s head.

I hope whoever wants to introduce this is aware of it’s consequences.

Maybe 2-3 minutes (as in handball) would be OK, but 10 minutes is basically a red card in disguise. Would hurt the game way too much.

2 Likes

Just wonder how Pieruigi Collina managed to handle all sorts of crazy personalities (In his own way but it worked) while all these guys can’t resulting in garbage like this.

2 Likes

What were they smoking when they thought this was a good idea.

3 Likes

I imagine the appeal is in the ability to send people to the sin bin for challenging their demented decisions.

4 Likes

That’s just power play tactics in hockey. Teams get to play up a man. You’ll end up with Orbinho tweets like “Arsenal have the best penalty kill in the league with 0.5xgppp. Resolute!”

5 Likes

It’s actually not a bad idea in principle. There are loads of challenges where a red isn’t justified and a yellow isn’t punishment enough.

This is basically how a yellow card works in rugby.

Just like what happens with a red card right now?

I can see it now. Blatant penalty not given (most likely to happen to us) Player REF REF REF screaming him down, sin binned. Another player tries to talk to ref about what has happened sin binned. Another player gets into a huff about the injustice, sin binned.

Al of a sudden 3 players down and a blatant pen not given and all of a sudden they go up our end and score 2.

Next day ‘unruly Arsenal’ ‘only have themselves to blame challenging the ref like that’ ‘they deserved to lose that match’ and out comes the trolls ‘same old Arsenal always cheating’

3 Likes

Doubt we’ll see that happen.

We’ll definitely see some questionable and bullshit calls (and i mean we specifically as Arsenal fans here) but a ref would really have to lose their head to do something like that.

Yeah, but with the “blue cards” added you would obviously have more of those situations, too much imo.

The red cards ruin plenty of games already, introducing more similar punishments wouldn’t be a great idea imo.

I think the yellow and red cards are quite enough (along with added bans and punishments). What those in power should focus on is to improve the actual refereeing with the current rules (wich are quite simple yet apparently so hard to implement).

Simply introducing new rules doesn’t automatically mean an improvement. On the contrary, it would probably bring even more mess to the quite low standard of refereeing that we have atm (compared to the technological advancement and everything we have at disposal nowadays).

Just fu**** improve VAR and I think everyone will be more than happy with the refs. Literally simple as that.
Stuff like this actually just seems like a smokescreen to get the atention off of VAR tbh, which is an obvious issue.

3 Likes

they can’t even do good (or fair) with yellow and red.
they will be even more shit if giving them an extra card to handle.

4 Likes

Agreed. They still need a lot of work on VAR yet they are introducing this brand new rule like everything is fine.

If they introduce this, like @Sol said, they need to outline exactly what constitutes as a blue card otherwise this will be a monumental fuck up.

However I do like the fact the offending player doesn’t get away with not ‘being on a yellow’ as a combination of the two colours equals a red.

Teams currently exploit the current card rules by fouling when a player is in loads of space but not near enough to the goal to be a red. A yellow is a small hit to take in exchange for reducing the potential of a goal or a situation where the keeper or another player may get a red as a result of making a challenge closer to goal.

The dissent thing is pointless to argue against imo. Players get away with far too much protesting and shouting at the referee and so far very little has been done to stop it.

It might shock a lot of people who only watch soccer but dissent is often 10 minutes in the bin in rugby and in rugby most players know not to speak out of turn to a referee, let alone actually get in his face and scream and shout like some of these pricks do currently.

So yeah, maybe we’d see some seemingly unfavourable situations to begin with where players are spending 10 mins on the sideline for dissent but eventually the severity of that punishment will teach players that actually it isn’t okay to abuse the ref in the manner many currently do.

I doubt referees will use it effectively for dissent anyway since they barely do it for yellows as it is. Perhaps retrospective bans shoupd be utilised more for dissent cos it’s honestly ridiculous how bad conduct towards referees is at the highest level.

1 Like

I have no idea why retrospective punishment isnt a thing for football in general. They have made the odd pathetic attempt at it from time to time but it should just be happening as routine and regardless of what action the ref or VAR take.

That Guimeres red that they admit should have been given for example, why can’t he be punished for it anyway? There’s no actual good reason why not.

4 Likes

Conduct towards officials has been awful for decades. The difference in recent years is I have absolutely no sympathy for refs in England at all now and I think they deserve all the abuse they get in the Premier League.

2 Likes

For sure the refereeing has it’s own issues. I just don’t think this should be an argument against trying to improve another element of the game. We should seek to improve both where possible.

Bin VAR and hire better officials. No need for these silly ideas.

4 Likes

Yep, hounding the ref will reduce if they’re less shit. Any that remains is part and parcel of the game.

Leave sin bins to rugby and ice hockey cheers.

1 Like

Before better refs we need a coherent and consistent set of rules universally applied. Worst part about the VAR is how rules keep changing (Handball) and it seems refs don’t seem to remember them either all the time.

1 Like