Scum

Sorry I meant to say I can’t see a vacancy at Barca, hence why I could see him at Madrid.

1 Like

Stayed unemployed for 2 years. Bunch of big jobs were made available in that time. Never got serious consideration even when he was the biggest name available.
Ended up PSG because he was a former player. Somehow botched winning a one-horse race, which in fairness wasn’t all his doing as Tuchel did enough damage himself in the first half of the season.

Left spurs Nov 19, went to PSG Jan 21. If you add the two stints it’s still not 2 years total lol

Perhaps it felt so long because every time a big job was open he never got jt.
How many big jobs became available in that time?
Barca, Madrid, Juve, Arsenal, Chelsea, etc.

The guy was the biggest name in the market but nobody employed him for 15 months.

I agree it’s a ridiculous question but we’d probably arrive at different answers. :arteta2:

I’m not here to defend Poch. Never overly rated him. But what’s the criticism here? That he waited to be offered a good job instead of accepting the next mid level PL or La Liga outfit to crop up? Good chance he never works at that level again bit it doesn’t make the decision wrong. 14 months out of the game is nothing really.

Considering the context of his Spurs exit it is.
He was linked with Man Utd and Madrid before he left and the rumours in his last year was that his head was turned and he wanted out of Spurs anyway.

For a guy his age, having got Spurs to a CL final, his stock very high, with that hype you’re usually the top candidate for the next big job available. Didn’t happen.

Btw @shamrockgooner, sorry to drag you in this convo. I know we both couldn’t care less about Poch.

If you arrive at answer that is Conte is a bad coach then you don’t know what you’re talking about lol

Conte isn’t a bad coach but I do think he is a bad fit for Spurs and the style of football they would like to play.

Until it did.

Well, I don’t consider PSG a big gig anyway but to each their own. Poch could have landed that job regardless of his stint at Spurs and being a former PSG player.

Big club or not it’s a big job these days.

Like I say, I just don’t understand the criticism. He waited until he got a job he wanted.

2 Likes

How is PSG not a big gig?

1 Like

PSG is a big club. Sure the owners would prefer the club to be in England, Spain, Germany or Italy, but it is still a very big club with huge ambition.

From the ones I listed, I think they’re all bigger.
Can excuse him with Arsenal and Barca due to his stints at Spurs and Espanyol respectively but I don’t remember him being in the running for the Madrid(even though he was heavily linked with them while at Spurs), Juve and Chelsea jobs.

I believe the Juve one was made available twice in that timeframe but could be wrong.

I think this stint at Spurs has punctured some of the myth surrounding him. Even you’ve said one of his strengths was wringing performances out of average players and he managed to do it for stretches last season. They spent a lot in the summer and are somehow worse.

He’s definitely not a bad coach but he’s been figured out a bit. If the only way you can make your system work is to demand your chairman spend a shit ton of money than maybe you need to adjust your own tactics. Watching him fail has been extremely satisfying for me since I felt his work has been overrated.

I think he is a good manager, but he only lasts 2-3 years at a club. Always seems to go in hard and get a positive change from the team in the first season. Second season he gets results (not the case at Spurs atm), and third season he falls out with the club or burns out the players and then leaves.

He is very defensively minded and that’s why he will probably be gone in the summer at Spurs. Last year they all loved him because he secured top 4, albeit with pretty unattractive football. This year, based on current form and performance they are going to miss out and he’ll either walk or be sacked. He was never a good fit for Spurs in my opinion. Same goes for Mourinho.

Pochettino was Spurs best manager for years and the fools sacked him. Probably one of the worst decisions the club ever made.

Let’s be honest here what manager doesn’t require backing to truly compete in England and Europe?

His work to revive Juve in the early 2010s is still remarkable and he’s the guy that made 3atb a trend again, even old man Wenger gave it a go, and he won the FA Cup against Conte funnily enough.

The guy is one of the greatest coaches of his generation for me, no doubt about that.

1 Like

What myth though? Never seen a denial that he likes to be backed financially. Can’t think of many coaches who achieve without significant backing…Emery maybe? Don’t want to dig up the past but if anything if coaches like Wenger were way more bold in the market he would have a better legacy.

1 Like

I’ve had this argument with @SRCJJ before. The guy spent big, had one of the era defining midfield threes and Italy’s era defining CB pairing in a shallow league. He’s a great coach but let’s not pretend I couldn’t have also won Serie A with Pogba-Pirlo-Vidal.

My point is more that people twerking for Conte to come in and fix Arsenal, the same way people wanted Allegri to do it, wouldn’t have worked because Conte can only coach one way and handle a club only one way.

If Conte is so good wringing performances out of mediocre players, if he can get a tune out of Ashley Young, Victor Moses, Estigarribia, Caceres and Giaccherini, shouldn’t he be able to do it with Spurs? Or is their talent level so low that it’s not even possible?

I’m not blind. He’s been successful but I think he gets let off easy a bit w respect to the criticism. A lot of fingers pointed at the roster as if he isn’t also able to make adjustments.

Maybe he’s just moved into a category of short term/high spend coach who can parachute in to a prime age squad, add in other veteran players and try to grind out trophies over two to three seasons before leaving total destruction in his wake.

@RockyMaivia really the myth that “oh Conte will fix it, he’s a serial winner, he just knows how to win, he just wants it so bad” it’s why you had pundits literally picking Spurs to finish above us because Conte coached Spurs. Not on any talent evaluation or transfers in, just because of Conte. It’s silly.