Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson

I think the idea of playing a backup keeper in competitions like these is sound if for nothing else than to see what you’re working with and to make them earn their wage once in a while…

I used to think you shouldn’t play back up keepers. Think that’s changed now as keepers play more with their feet now and run the risk of muscle injuries.
Really should not have been Leno between the sticks tonight.

They took a risk of course, but funds were limited. We needed strengthening in other areas of the pitch more.

The lack of outgoing sales probably meant we had to go with one of the cheapest GK options on the shortlist.

Let’s pray Leno stays fit! :pray:

2 Likes

It’s a way of giving him a feeling for how we play, staying sharp and keeping up with the tempo. In such a easy game it’s a no-brainer imo, especially since he’s a new signing. Emi was different, he had been around for ages and already had a bond with the team.
But I agree that rotating GKs isn’t needed, especially in the later stages of a competition. But let him have some easy games to settle.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I assume the England v Iceland game will be cancelled then? If Iceland are travelling to Denmark, they won’t be able to come here and play us a few days later.

1 Like

Does this mean the tv companies will be owed another match?

This guy can Run on back to Iceland. He looks like an outfield player being forced to play in goal because there are no subs left. And that’s probably a generous description.

2 Likes

He’s quite shit.

2 Likes

We knew exactly what we were signing.

15 Likes

Yeah there wasn’t a single positive account of him anywhere lol

10 Likes

Yea the we being the fucking fans. One of our coaches fucking recommended this guy!!!

1 Like

What was the clubs explanation as to why we signed him ?

Another downgrade in an important position.
Going for cheap.
It’s the Arsenal way.

1 Like

Big brain Arteta wants a development keeper who is “good with his feet”

It’s a good example of Arteta indulging in “advanced” football concepts based on his work with Pep rather than just going with simple options like signing a competent shot stopper who is homegrown

5 Likes

Pretty sure this was a recommendation from the GK coach, that was at Brentford and worked with Runar before that put him forward to Mikel.

2 Likes

Irrelevant really, Coaching staff is an extension of the manager and as manager, he has a pretty large say on who comes into the club.

Wouldn’t have agreed to bring him in if he didn’t want that specific profile

Good with ball at feet hipster BS.

2 Likes

Yeah he was recommended by GK coach Cana. And this is what they said at the time:

Technical director Edu said: “We’re very pleased to welcome Alex to our squad. We have been monitoring him for some time and from the analysis, he has strong attributes that we look for in a goalkeeper and as a person.”

Mikel Arteta added: “We want to create healthy competition for places and we look forward to seeing Alex bring further depth to the goalkeeping position.”

A packet of fruit pastels would provide better competition!

2 Likes

Keeping Emi is what I call healthy competition. Not some poor mans Neuer clone, who played second fiddle for a relegation fodder club, in a tier 2 league.

1 Like