Ruben Neves

If Wolves fans think we aren’t good enough for him it shows how low our stock as a club has dropped amongst fans in the game.

2 Likes

True but he also seems to be rated way higher in their group than ours. Their ownership was talking about him as an 80-90m sale a couple of years ago

Perhaps. But Neves was like a God to them when he came in. They probably think the only teams worthy of him are Man City and Real Madrid.

Can remember him getting slaughtered signing for Leicester on here. How we dodged a bullet.

4 Likes

Plenty said we were missing out too. These things are almost always split.

1 Like

Just stop my likes why don’t yer.:yum:

1 Like

I don’t see us being able to court a lot of these names tbh, but worth a try for sure

Same for Partey and Pepe but we did. I think we can definitely pull most of those players with the right approach.

1 Like

I would hope that we’re trying, someone like Merino would be the perfect replacement for Xhaka for example.

Let’s be serious though. Partey was a release clause job and nobody else was interested. He was either staying at Atleti or coming here.

Pepe appears to have been a really sketchy deal. Maybe he did want to come here but I suspect there were some brown envelopes of cash in Raul’s briefcase during negotiations with Pepe’s reps.

1 Like

When rattling out possible alternatives do stop and check yourself on a few things.

1. Does that player you’d prefer actually want to wear our badge?
  2. Does that player actually want away from their club or a new contract. Beware of “Agent talk”.
  3. Will that player really fit in with not only the team but the squad, the club, London culture and life in England? Then ask that question about each of that player’s kids and partner.
  4. Can all 4 (or more) parties agree on the financials.

For Neves we know 2 and 3 are true. (I’ll try to avoid insulting The Black Country except to say my nan shunned vast family wealth in Staffordshire to run away to London to marry a postman).
1 and 4 are unknowns.

He’s quality though. We’ve got Partey for the fancy stuff, Neves can become our defensive shield. How many more points would we have saved over the last 20 years if we had a someone who went for Row Z when necessary? Get him in.

Everyone wanted Tielemans wtf u talking about :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

If we’re playing that game: people emphasising Granit Xhaka’s importance to Arsenal FC solidifies us as a fringe Europa League club tbh

3 Likes

Don’t disagree with that.

2 Likes

Their both not good enough. That’s the issue, we’re getting rid of Xhaka for someone who is maybe a slight improvement at best and is going to cost us £30m which Im guessing is a pretty significant portion of our budget. I don’t hate the guy or rate Xhaka, was just hoping that we would move on from this profile of player which embodies our decline and mediocrity!

2 Likes

Seems to me like you were highlighting his importance by pointing out how our results are apparently often worse without Xhaka, maybe I’ve misinterpreted your post though.

It’s less about profile of player and more about the quality of player. City just won the league by double digits and Chelsea just won the CL with Rodri and Jorginho respectively as that profile of player.

Not apparently, they are

Can we not find some hidden diamond at RB Leipzig or CSKA Moscow or something?

This feels like small dick stuff; the safe decision.

Go all out for Nkunku or something…

2 Likes