Rob Holding

Didn’t he pass it straight to Liverpool player in the first half which resulted in Salah being put one-on-one with Ramsdale?

1 Like

Holding is pretty much as bad a defender as it gets for the Arteta system. If Tomiyasu was fit he’d be at RB and we’d have White at CB and it’s a different story for us.

He’s not composed, can’t play under pressure, isn’t a good passer and loses his head

9 Likes

i remember wenger buying him for 2m and then saying i am sorry he didn’t cost 55m. I am sorry you bought him for £2m and he didnt cost 55m because he generally is crap.

4 Likes

I was arguing with people who thought he was better than John Stones off a sample of about 3 games lol

2 Likes

After sleeping on it, I’m convinced we collect 0 from 9 in City, Newcastle and Brighton if Holding starts all three.

He’s a bad player. Genuinely believe the worst in our squad.

1 Like

He’s just an awful player for this system full stop.

The things that Holding lacks, he can’t be taught.

If we are being honest he is a championship defender. Or a relegation fodder team defender and he would be one of the big reasons why they are relegation fodder.

1 Like

I think this is really harsh. He has been a decent squad player for us and could play for most PL clubs. He isn’t a starter and isn’t at Saliba’s level. To be fair to Arteta and Edu, they haven’t had the luxury of being able to upgrade in this position yet. Could be an option to move on/upgrade in that position in the summer if a quality RCB is available. For the remainder of this season, we need to get behind all the players.

2 Likes

Would Holding stand out at a Bournemouth, Fulham or Forest? I don’t believe so. BANG Average. He’s not had a bad season but he can’t be an option next year.

This is probably more of a me problem but I can’t even name who their CBs are. He’s capable of that level, no question for me.

2 Likes

Again think that is harsh. He could play for a lot of PL sides.

Whether he is still at Arsenal next season depends on where we prioritise strengthening the squad and who is available in the market. We will not have endless amounts of money in the summer. IMO midfield and RW (as back up/rotation for Saka) is the priority.

Forest and Bournemouth concede a shocking amount of goals, Holding is better than whoever they got.

3 Likes

remember Arteta named him our captain before?

I think Holding has some great personal qualities, and it is clear from All or Nothing he is good with the other players in the squad. A positive for the team dynamic.

1 Like

As was said on Arseblog’s podcast today, Holding functions best in a backs to the wall type performance, which isn’t what we do. Even when we’re under pressure as we were at Anfield, we’re still looking to get forward. In a midtable or relegation scrap, Holding would be a very good option. I think there’s a very good chance he’d play for at least half the teams in this league.

5 Likes

People are so fickle, after the palace and leeds games it was all ‘won’t find a better 4th choice cb’ now suddenly he’s trash.

The dude is fine for 4th choice, tbh he looks better than Kiwior on the minutes we’ve seen so would be even less confident without him. He’ll get replaced in the summer I reckon but he’s just nothing special, not the garbage people make out and he wasn’t even that bad against Liverpool.

The entire midfield are the ones to blame and the fullbacks both got roasted. Ben White could’ve had a tap in for 3-1 if he was playing his normal game but he was nowhere to be seen cos we were in pussy mode, then a min later the guy got skinned and we almost conceded anyway. Might as well have been up the pitch…

7 Likes

He needs to upgraded in the summer, I understand he’s a backup but we can get someone that fits the system a lot better as a Saliba replacement without breaking the bank I’m sure.

I think we will loan out Kiwoir and keep Holding