Rob Holding

He wasn’t our best defender. He played in 10 league games, completing 90 mins in 8 of them. We conceded more than a goal a game in that time and outside of one or two games, he was as average as the rest of our back line.

Both Sokratis and Koscielny were better defensively last season. Holding’s biggest strength was his distribution but defensively he’s a bang average defender and he has to be replaced.

1 Like

Bang average is still a big improvement on our current defensive options.

1 Like

Doesn’t mean we should automatically not want better though

1 Like

Don’t try steal my job, i’m the photoshop master remember.

1 Like

So true haha! Here’s your crown back :crown:

1 Like

Overly harsh in my opinion.

Holding may be currently fairly average as a defender but his potential is high - he’s big, a very good athlete, above average on the ball, and inexperienced enough that its a decent bet that he’ll continue to improve over the next few years. We have so many other needs that we don’t have the luxury to be replacing a player like him.

I think there have been plenty of encouraging signs in his spells in the side to not be too down on him. He definitely has an upside but that was also true of Senderos and Djourou. This season will tell if Holding is heading in their direction or moreso towards the Kolo Toure path.

For the sake of clarity, no, I did not compare him to any of the players I just named.

1 Like

He is going to get plenty of matches this season as long as he is fit so if he’s going to make it here we should find out.

I just hope we find a decent CB to play alongside him rather than Mustafi or Sokratis.

He’s bang average but bang average is the best we got lol, so he still is deffo one of our best defenders and should be starting for us.

1 Like

should theo have been captain after he did the sign to the spurs fans when he was getting stretchered off?

2 Likes

Definitely.

1 Like

:heart:

2 Likes

He should’ve written Sol Campbell instead. fucker would’ve gone through a rollercoaster of emotions pulling the shirt back up and reading that.

6 Likes

It’s a yankee Spurs fan, confusion at what Sol Campbell meant would be his only emotion.

1 Like

Even Americans know about that.

I read that he would be back end of September, but could maybe be earlier

2 Likes

Good news. Need depth buffer from the Moose.

Would rather not rush and throw him in straight away.

1 Like

I feel like we’ll be winning a lot of games 4-3 this season and he’ll be hugely important in keeping it down to the 3 :flushed:

With Koscielny persona non grata, Holding coming back healthy and firing could be the key figure if we’re to sneak 4th.

1 Like