Rob Holding

Just watched a couple shots of him in training on his insta story. Looks sharp.

Also had no idea he’s seeing Paige Almendariz (US women soccer player). She’s stunning!

Rumors he’ll be ready earlier than expected… anyone confirm?

1 Like

There was this story a few days ago. It says he might be ready for the start of the season.

3 Likes

It’s hard to imagine a few seasons ago, we would be in such a state defensively, that we are desperate for Holding to be fit for the start of the season.

Holding and Mustafi for the first game perhaps, or Mustafi and Sokratis?

It’s great to have these sort of world class options.

Holding was fantastic before he got injured. He is the ball player we need at the back right now.

Him and Papa are our best pairing. Need them back playing together asap.

3 Likes

Why the sarcasm? He’s one of the best young defenders in the PL and for me could be in our defence for the next decade. We have missed him greatly

3 Likes

Majority of Holding’s league mins last season was in partnership with Mustafi.

I think his sample is being overrated tbh

1 Like

Hard to look worse than Mustafi though. I think a lot of us would even try Chambers at CB even though he doesn’t appear to actually be a CB at this point in his career.

1 Like

I think we can all agree they were our two best CB though (realizing this is an incredibly low bar)… anyone that keeps Moose out of the lineup is huge imho, especially with Koss definitely gone. I do expect another CB to come in with Koss departure though, so things will shift.

He’s 24 in about a month in what world is he one of the best young defenders?

Guy is grossly overrated by Arsenal fans. He’s a bang average talent and shouldn’t be anywhere near our starting line up on a regular basis.

5 Likes

This really.

I’ve never been blown away by him in his time here tbh. Been a beneficiary of purely not being Mustafi or Koscielny (of recent) at times

3 Likes

He’s over rated because he doesn’t play. It happens with so many players, after a while of them being on the sidelines the rose tinted glasses come on and some start believing that said player would make such a big difference if fit.

I’m not saying he’s rubbish or anything and sure, especially given our current options, it’ll be good to have him back, but I think some fans are going to have an almighty shock when he returns and he isn’t rivalling VVD for best defender in the league :smile:

8 Likes

Yeah that FA cup performance against Chelsea bought him a ton a good credit

2 Likes

Yeah because that is what people are saying - “Holding is as good as VVD.”

he is our second best CB… that is a big deal for a team as shocking in defending as we are, even with the insanely low bar… Koss is gone… Moose is awful… Mavro looks awful so far… Chambers? LOL.

He is an important player for us - I don’t think anyone would be clamoring for him if we had VVD and Sokratis as our top 2…

Who said he was VvD? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

He was our best defender last season. Losing him and Bellerin fucked us

1 Like

I figured the :smile: at the end of what I said would show i wasn’t being serious in that comparison, but I guess not.

Are you saying fans won’t have an almighty shock when he returns then?

It is clear you mean he isn’t as good - I get that… but you seem to be misrepresenting what others are saying either way - otherwise I don’t get the point.

The point being made is that people are making him out to be our best CB, when in fact he is about as good as what we already have, which isn’t that great.
It might be because he hasn’t played for a while, which often leads to people remembering players being better than they actually were.

1 Like

IMG_20190722_155213

Definitely Van Dijk

Man I need a new job if this is what I do :sweat_smile:

I thought he matured and was more reliable last season. At 6’3 he’s probably our most physically imposing CB, he’s quick, he reads the ball well an playing next to an experienced CB like Sokratis should do him a world of good. That and he’s always been very assured on the ball. Only 23 last season before his injury.

Still after 9 months out he’ll be rusty again, I’m not expecting too much straight away.

2 Likes